What fish do you have that is a water puppy?

Guppy Guy

So I’ve been thinking. I hear people say all the time that their fish is a water puppy. Over time this adds up to a lot of fish. From the Coops very own Murphy, to my own Angelfish(the trio; Angie, Michel, and Ted(yes, named after Teds Fish Fry 🤣))

Who is your water puppy?

• Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 1:01 PM, GameCzar said:

Our Betta, El Diablo Azul for sure.  Our guppies are more like water cats, they like to chase laser pointers. 🙂

Like that betta name. I had one in kindergarten many years ago. His name was Freddy.(Rest In Peace Little Buddy)He died before there were good ich medications.

That I would like to see. A laser-Pointer-chasing-guppy? 😆 

On 8/24/2021 at 1:02 PM, sudofish said:

My Electric Blue Acara. He's extremely interactive.

Those are on my list of fish to get eventually. (I would tell you, but the forum probably wouldn’t let me finish since the list is so long 😝)

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 12:07 PM, Guppy Guy said:

Like that betta name. I had one in kindergarten many years ago. His name was Freddy.(Rest In Peace Little Buddy)He died before there were good ich medications.

That I would like to see. A laser-Pointer-chasing-guppy? 😆 

Those are on my list of fish to get eventually. (I would tell you, but the forum probably wouldn’t let me finish since the list is so long 😝)

Check em out 🙂 

• Haha 6
  • Love 3

On 8/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, Guppy Guy said:

That is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!! I assume that is just one of those dollar store laser pointers? How did you figure out they would do that?

Are your guppies in this storage containers? I’ve been wondering if that works or not.

Right now our quarantine tank is a storage container, it seems to be working well so far.     Its actually the laser pointer on my IR thermometer.  I just noticed when I was checking temps one day that they chased the dot.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:44 PM, GameCzar said:

Right now our quarantine tank is a storage container, it seems to be working well so far.     Its actually the laser pointer on my IR thermometer.  I just noticed when I was checking temps one day that they chased the dot.

For the record, guppy fry will also chase the red dot too, just not as vigorously lol

• Haha 2

They aren't quite water puppies, but I've been surprised by just how personable Siamese Algae Eaters can be. People only ever talk about them as the fish who eat black beard Algae, and never touch on the other aspects of their behavior. They'll swim right up to the glass and beg for food when I'm by the tank, and they'll dart around at the top trying to get first dibs on food when I open the lid. They're pretty much always searching for food, so they're endlessly entertaining to watch. And they're way more cute than they look in photographs, when they're excited they remind me of Cories with how they wiggle.

• Like 6

On 8/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, GameCzar said:

Huh. That makes sense. Nice discovery 

On 8/24/2021 at 1:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

All my Goldfish, but my Shubunkin is especially friendly. They all eat from my hand on top but she’ll take pellets underwater. 

I’ve wanted goldfish for awhile now. Just don’t have room for a 55 like I want for them.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, Deku-Corydoras said:

They aren't quite water puppies, but I've been surprised by just how personable Siamese Algae Eaters can be. People only ever talk about them as the fish who eat black beard Algae, and never touch on the other aspects of their behavior. They'll swim right up to the glass and beg for food when I'm by the tank, and they'll dart around at the top trying to get first dibs on food when I open the lid. They're pretty much always searching for food, so they're endlessly entertaining to watch. And they're way more cute than they look in photographs, when they're excited they remind me of Cories with how they wiggle.

That’s great to hear. It’s the first good thing I’ve heard about Siamese algae eaters in awhile. Sound like my guppies though. I sometimes use a yellow cup during water changes, and they think it is the sera can !😆

• Haha 1

I would have to say my pea puffer Gazoo 💗.He greets me every morning and every time I walk to the tank. I will sit in front of the tank and he will hover around and do little circles he is so adorable. If he is not at the front then I go to the glass and just wait.. within seconds he pops up and zooms to the front.. GAH! Love him! I have these rocks with holes in the center and he goes in and out of them all the time.

I have these tiny angled tweezers that I use to drop his snails in with. If I just hold it he zips up and takes it from me. Sometimes he wants to catch them mid water so he will wait for me to drop it.. he wags his little tail and hovers and waits. He is such a cool fish! I love all of my fish.. but Gazoo.. by far is my most interactive and water "puppy" like fish I have 

• Love 3

I'm currently fostering a very large Central American cichlid that might as well be another dog. He swims over to me whenever I enter the room and will chase my finger around the glass. If he's cranky, he'll pretty deliberately spit sand at me and will try to bit me if I'm doing work in his tank he doesn't approve of (especially on Sunday which is his day to fast)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently I'd have to say my wife's Betta, Boris. He follows her finger around she points at food if he misses it at the top, and seems genuinely glad when he sees her.

My Oscar I had a looong time ago (90s) was just like a puppy. He would eat out of my hand, follow me around in the room and throw a tantrum if I added anything to the tank he didn't like. If he couldn't destroy it, he'd spend all day trying to bury it 🙂

• Like 1

My Endlers act pretty much just like a tiny version of our beagle. XD they're always begging for food and swim right up to the glass to beg as soon as they see me. They also like following fingers and are very curious and excited with water changes. 😂 They always want to play in the current from the water change hose and bump up against it/my hand the whole time.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 4:26 PM, Miranda Marie said:

My Endlers act pretty much just like a tiny version of our beagle. XD they're always begging for food and swim right up to the glass to beg as soon as they see me. They also like following fingers and are very curious and excited with water changes. 😂 They always want to play in the current from the water change hose and bump up against it/my hand the whole time.

My guppies do that too.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:35 PM, md363 said:

@Miranda Marie @Guppy Guy my Dwarf Endlers are like puppies too lol.  Especially the smallest one.  They are always active and come right up to the tank glass when I walk up to it.  🙂

Same here.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:45 PM, Miranda Marie said:

Maybe it's an Endler trait then. 😆

Well, I’ve always secretly thought endlers are just small guppies with different color patterns. (I know otherwise though)

Edited by Guppy Guy
Spelling