Adding a Sump...

DavidR

I'm planning to add a sump to my 78 gallon heavily planted tank. I'm working on mapping out the plumbing as well as pumps I will need.

Anyone that has done this, do you have any advice? Anything that would have been nice to know before you started setting up your sump?

I don’t use sumps, but if your building your own, my advice is to go check out The king of DIY on YouTube. Search “The King Of DIY sumps”, and a bunch of tutorials will pop up. 

Aquarium Co Op also has some sump videos. There was one they released a few years back that might help. DIY sump

Also, if it is a 78 gallon, will a Fluval FX6 Canister work? It could save a lot of time.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:33 AM, DavidR said:

I'm planning to add a sump to my 78 gallon heavily planted tank. I'm working on mapping out the plumbing as well as pumps I will need.

Anyone that has done this, do you have any advice? Anything that would have been nice to know before you started setting up your sump?

I apologize if this sounds wrong but...Why do you want to add a sump to a heavily planted tank to begin with?  Not saying its wrong but just want to understand the goal behind it.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:24 PM, ARMYVET said:

I apologize if this sounds wrong but...Why do you want to add a sump to a heavily planted tank to begin with?  Not saying its wrong but just want to understand the goal behind it.

Well, I'd like to try something different. I've been messing around with Oase canister filters and found them to be more finicky then I'd like, I've had a couple fail and it's been a less then ideal situation. I feel I will have more control over all aspects of my filter by adding a sump. 

Plus, it is something new to try out. I've never had a sump on an aquarium before. I'm well aware that I could just try a different brand of canister filter.

On 8/25/2021 at 8:11 AM, DavidR said:

Well, I'd like to try something different. I've been messing around with Oase canister filters and found them to be more finicky then I'd like, I've had a couple fail and it's been a less then ideal situation. I feel I will have more control over all aspects of my filter by adding a sump. 

Plus, it is something new to try out. I've never had a sump on an aquarium before. I'm well aware that I could just try a different brand of canister filter.

I can respect that.  The reason I was asking is that a heavily planted tank really doesn't need any exterior filtration. The plants are the filter.  That's the reason I was asking.  Trying something new is how we all learn more so I applaud you in your efforts.  I look forward to hearing of you updates on how it is all going. 

And yes as @ThomasLC said...make sure you have covers on your sump or you will be filling it daily...ask me how I know🙄