Bullet Proof Beginner Plants

Hello! I have a question that's not actually for me. 😆 My little cousins (young teens) have inherited a "big" aquarium. I don't know the exact size yet. Seeing as the only aquarium they've had was a 3 gallon, this could mean 10 gallons or more. They told me it was "like yours!" which is 20 gallons but idk how good they are at eyeballing the sizes. 😂 I asked for the dimensions so I can calculate gallons tomorrow when they get me those.

Anyway, they asked me to help them pick out some plants to put in it. They're pretty young and their experience with aquarium keeping is very limited (and badly researched unfortunately 😬) so they need super easy to care for, bulletproof beginner plants. I skipped straight to intermediary plants when I set up my planted aquarium, since I did a ton of research and had access to good lighting, fertilizer, and a lot of time to put into it, so I don't know which plants would be bulletproof for young budding aquarists.

I think they could handle dosing Easy Green, but root tabs would probably be too much for them, given the amount of work they've been able to handle on their own in the past. So plants that gain the majority of their nutrients from the water column are preferable. They also plan to get them from Petco or PetSmart, so they also need to be varieties that are available widely. They don't have a plant light so unless I gift them one (which I might for the boy's upcoming birthday, but I'm unsure how often they would remember to turn it on if it doesn't have a timer) they need to be low light plants as well. Their mom has a limited budget (lots of kids).

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated! Most of the beginner plants I could find online are root feeders, so I need some solid suggestions that don't require them to remember root tabs regularly. Thanks so much in advance!! They've been fascinated by my tank for months and want to adopt some of my always reproducing dream blue neocaridina shrimp once it's cycled, so I want this to be a nice experience for them rather than a frustrating one.

I agree with @lefty o, you’ll want Java fern varieties, Bolbitis ferns, Anubias, maybe some Bucephalandras.  I’ve read that Crypts can be grown as epiphytes, too, but I’ve never tried it.

And you can get a timer for less than $10.00 each and it’s well worth it since it’s the best way to minimize their risk of algae issues.  This is what I got last time, 2 for $12.00.  Very easy to set, I just need to reduce my light time myself on a couple tanks.  😆 

D3F106C4-2732-443E-89E5-861FF2E87B68.png

• Like 1

Thank you all so much!! I'll add these to a list for them and see what they come back with from the store from it. I might see if they'd like me to tag along and help them pick some stuff out. This helps a lot! I knew as soon as they asked that this community would be a great resource to ask for advice on which ones to suggest to them. 💙

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:57 PM, Odd Duck said:

I agree with @lefty o, you’ll want Java fern varieties, Bolbitis ferns, Anubias, maybe some Bucephalandras.  I’ve read that Crypts can be grown as epiphytes, too, but I’ve never tried it.

And you can get a timer for less than $10.00 each and it’s well worth it since it’s the best way to minimize their risk of algae issues.  This is what I got last time, 2 for $12.00.  Very easy to set, I just need to reduce my light time myself on a couple tanks.  😆 

Also thank you for this timer suggestion!! I might get one for mine too since it looks a little easier to use than the timer I currently have on my tank. 😆

• Like 1

For me at least, I can NOT kill water wisteria, even when I try 😆 😆.

Also, java moss is good, but it can clog up your filters. I have my java moss in a fake reeds plant to hold it in place.

Another good one is Amazon Swords. Make sure the tank is big enough first though.

Last, I’ve only had it for about 2 months, but Pennywort seems to be hardy too. 

In my main planted tank(10 gallon guppy tank), I use seachem flourish, but I usually forget so the tank only gets it between once a month, and once every 6 months.(to show you how bad that is, your supposed to do it weekly 😅)Even if (or when for me)you overdose it, You won’t have serious algae problems.

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've found the most bullet-proof to be anubias, even though 1 of the 3 I bought had rhizome rot. Maybe get multiple types of anubias, and quarantine them at least a week to see, so you don't give the kids yellow mush. 

I've actually had terrible luck with java fern. Can't keep the things alive. Irene said something similar in a video, so I'm gonna say they're actually very hit-or-miss.

Never heard of an anubias dying though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:06 AM, Guppy Guy said:

For me at least, I can NOT kill water wisteria, even when I try 😆 😆.

Also, java moss is good, but it can clog up your filters. I have my java moss in a fake reeds plant to hold it in place.

Another good one is Amazon Swords. Make sure the tank is big enough first though.

Last, I’ve only had it for about 2 months, but Pennywort seems to be hardy too. 

In my main planted tank(10 gallon guppy tank), I use seachem flourish, but I usually forget so the tank only gets it between once a month, and once every 6 months.(to show you how bad that is, your supposed to do it weekly 😅)Even if (or when for me)you overdose it, You won’t have serious algae problems.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:57 PM, Odd Duck said:

Thank you again to everyone who gave suggestions!! I really appreciate it. 💙 

(Also can't seem to clear the quotes for some reason even though I already posted the post with the second quote. 🤔 Must be glitching on my end.)

On 8/24/2021 at 10:25 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I've found the most bullet-proof to be anubias, even though 1 of the 3 I bought had rhizome rot. Maybe get multiple types of anubias, and quarantine them at least a week to see, so you don't give the kids yellow mush. 

I've actually had terrible luck with java fern. Can't keep the things alive. Irene said something similar in a video, so I'm gonna say they're actually very hit-or-miss.

Never heard of an anubias dying though. 

Same on the Java Fern!! I thought it was just me. 😐 I have killed every one I have ever brought home and don't know how I even managed it. 😆

Okay, new question related to the same tank. They sent me the dimensions and it's a 30 gallon. Do you guys think a large sponge filter from Aquarium Co-op would be enough filtration for them or is that too little? I have two of them coming in the mail already so I figured I could gift them one since they don't have a filter yet and again, money is pretty tight for their mom. But that was when I was thinking it would be a 20 gallon. I can't remember how big of tanks @Coryuses the large ones on and says they're good as the only filtration. 🤔 But it would be a lot easier for the kids to handle than a hang on back. If it's not enough I can always gift them both and buy myself another later on. Thanks again!

On 8/24/2021 at 11:27 AM, Miranda Marie said:

Same on the Java Fern!! I thought it was just me. 😐 I have killed every one I have ever brought home and don't know how I even managed it. 😆

I thought it was just me too! I was relieved when I saw that Irene was struggling with them. (No ill will, @Irene.) I think I've tried a total of 15 species of plants now, with only 6 or 7 surviving at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:31 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I thought it was just me too! I was relieved when I saw that Irene was struggling with them. (No ill will, @Irene.) I think I've tried a total of 15 species of plants now, with only 6 or 7 surviving at all.

I admit, it's relieving to know I'm not the only one killing the usually easy plants. 😆 Even my Anubis and sword plants struggled badly, while all my harder to keep alive plants are totally fine... 🤨 T'is strange.

On 8/24/2021 at 11:30 AM, Miranda Marie said:

Okay, new question related to the same tank. They sent me the dimensions and it's a 30 gallon. Do you guys think a large sponge filter from Aquarium Co-op would be enough filtration for them or is that too little? I have two of them coming in the mail already so I figured I could gift them one since they don't have a filter yet and again, money is pretty tight for their mom. But that was when I was thinking it would be a 20 gallon. I can't remember how big of tanks @Coryuses the large ones on and says they're good as the only filtration. 🤔 But it would be a lot easier for the kids to handle than a hang on back. If it's not enough I can always gift them both and buy myself another later on. Thanks again!

I have a 29 gallon with a medium and a small. I assume a large would be about equivalent. I'd vote for putting it near-ish the middle of the tank for water movement. But yeah, as long as they don't overstock, that should be fine. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:33 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I have a 29 gallon with a medium and a small. I assume a large would be about equivalent. I'd vote for putting it near-ish the middle of the tank for water movement. But yeah, as long as they don't overstock, that should be fine. 

Okay, great! I'll gift it to them then and see how it goes. 😃 Thank you! 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:32 AM, Miranda Marie said:

I admit, it's relieving to know I'm not the only one killing the usually easy plants. 😆 Even my Anubis and sword plants struggled badly, while all my harder to keep alive plants are totally fine... 🤨 T'is strange.

I have sword trouble too. I don't get how they're thought of as beginner plants.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:32 PM, Miranda Marie said:

I probably need to glue my(or what’s left of my) java fern to some wood AKA my DIY PVC log. Still testing though, and ya gotta love that black beard algae.

(yes, log tank is in my closet. I have a severe case of MTS 😂)

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I have sword trouble too. I don't get how they're thought of as beginner plants.

Well at least I'm not alone. XD Mine still lives but it hasn't grown an inch since I got it a year and a half ago. It just sits there, regardless of how many root tabs I attempt to feed it. It is the smallest plant in the tank! 😆 So much for getting massive... 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, Guppy Guy said:

I probably need to glue my(or what’s left of my) java fern to some wood AKA my DIY PVC log. Still testing though, and ya gotta love that black beard algae.

(yes, log tank is in my closet. I have a severe case of MTS 😂)

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's looking better than my Java Fern ever managed!! Good job. 😆

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:38 PM, Miranda Marie said:

It's looking better than my Java Fern ever managed!! Good job. 😆

The only reason it looks good(and I’m spoiling my secret here) is because I put 3 really bad ones together to make one decent one 😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2