What kind of shelving unit could support my future aquarium?

Karen B.

Greetings!
I bought a shelving unit that can support 320 lbs per shelves. It can also be separates to make 2 unit which I would do.
I would like to place a 20 gallons long on one unit and a 10 gallons on the other. But after calculating, my 20 gallons would be almost 300 lbs and I am afraid the wooden part of the shelf will bow.
I found a similar one but it says it can support 800 lbs if the weight is equally distributed. It can be split in 2 as well. And I could have a 29 gallons instead of a 20 gallons and it would weigh around 400lbs. But once again, I am afraid the wooden part might bow.

Any of you have one of these (36’’ x 18 ‘’ x 72’’ Mastercraft, Edsal or Muscle rack) and could give me more information or tips?

0DDD375C-3480-4DBA-AC31-7A94D757A650.png

• Like 2

I'll agree with s1 about the wire shelves over particle board any day, but if you're setting up a fish room, I believe angle iron would be your best bet. If you choose to go with the wire shelf system, you can buy the Hyper Tough wire shelf systems at Wally World for about $45. They're easy to put together, the only tool you'll need is a rubber mallet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After careful reconsideration, I believe your best bet would be a thick metal shelf rather than either the particle board or the wire shelf system because the wire shelf system is also going to bow under the weight of even a 10g tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used the huskey systems 72"x48"x24". The wire mesh comes with it but I also placed 2'x4' 3/4" plywood over the top of the wire mesh. This plywood is supported by both the mesh and the metal frame around the edge. On one rack I have 4 ten gallons on one shelf, a 38 gallon on another shelf, two 14 gallon cubes on the bottom and storage on the very top.

• Like 1