If you start growing your own plants now there will be minimal plant cost when you do set up.  If you start buying your decor now you can have driftwood soaking, or tie moss on it, etc, if that’s part of your grand plan.  Plus buying rocks a little at a time will spread out cost.  Then it’s just tank, filter, lights, plumbing, heating, etc.

If you keep an eye out on local forums/Facebook pages you’d be amazed at what you can find for driftwood, rocks, plants, etc, for cheap.  Might also be able to find a good deal on a sump, canister filter or return pump.  I’ve even seen brand new big tanks go up for sale because somebody changed their mind or their circumstances abruptly changed.

Edited by Odd Duck
Why does autocorrect think I’m obsessed with fir trees?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had to read OP over kept thinking why is no one considering the price of the cabinetry. Only tank and plants is what you was asking I see now. This sound like an amazing idea can’t wait to see finished product.

im a cabinet maker/ finish carpenter for 30 years and would love to build this project. Have wonder if there would be enough of a market for custom stands and cabinetry to go after?

• Like 3

On 8/23/2021 at 6:30 PM, Odd Duck said:

If you start growing your own plants now there will be minimal plant cost when you do set up.  If you start buying your decor now you can have driftwood soaking, or tie moss on it, etc, if that’s part of your grand plan.  Plus buying rocks a little at a time will spread out cost.  Then it’s just tank, filter, lights, plumbing, heating, etc.

If you keep an eye out on local forums/Facebook pages you’d be amazed at what you can find for driftwood, rocks, plants, etc, for cheap.  Might also be able to find a good deal on a sump, canister filter or return pump.  I’ve even seen brand new big tanks go up for sale because somebody changed their mind or their circumstances abruptly changed.

Great ideas.  Thank you 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 5:53 PM, Atitagain said:

Had to read OP over kept thinking why is no one considering the price of the cabinetry. Only tank and plants is what you was asking I see now. This sound like an amazing idea can’t wait to see finished product.

im a cabinet maker/ finish carpenter for 30 years and would love to build this project. Have wonder if there would be enough of a market for custom stands and cabinetry to go after?

There are at least a few guys in my area that make a decent side living on building custom stands/cabinets.  I don’t know if anybody is doing it exclusively.  I’m also in a large metro area, so that factors in.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, Odd Duck said:

There are at least a few guys in my area that make a decent side living on building custom stands/cabinets.  I don’t know if anybody is doing it exclusively.  I’m also in a large metro area, so that factors in.

I’m close to Indianapolis and there are a lot of suburbs In surrounding counties. Plenty of LFS and more than a few big box stores. So market is probably good enough 🤔. And has to be a way better profit margin than selling fish. Time to do a bit of research.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:53 PM, Atitagain said:

im a cabinet maker/ finish carpenter for 30 years and would love to build this project. Have wonder if there would be enough of a market for custom stands and cabinetry to go after?qQaaaaqaaaaaqaaaaaaq

I’m  a carpenter also. I’m wooden boat repair guy and sometimes wooden boat builder. I think if you already have a cabinet shop and you’re jigged up for that you should be in a great place to make stands, they’re more or less just cabinets. You should be able to get some jobs for custom furniture grade stands and make some money at it. 

• Like 3

What I really want to know here is what kind of person never used a 200g tank like that. Madness. Literally put in some substrate and said never mind!?! @Littlefish I hope you gave it a good home 😂
 Although... Selection of bathroom cleaning products in a set up like that would be a legitimate concern. I envision endless water spots and no way to windex

• Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, skipper said:

What I really want to know here is what kind of person never used a 200g tank like that. Madness. Literally put in some substrate and said never mind!?! @Littlefish I hope you gave it a good home 😂
 Although... Selection of bathroom cleaning products in a set up like that would be a legitimate concern. I envision endless water spots and no way to windex

Someone very rich 😄  The house sold for millions before our remodel.  There were 2 pipes running under the tank in the wall that were just hanging there, never hooked up.  If you see the access up top inside the shower,  and the acrylic bracing on top, that wouldbe a nightmare to clean. 

The cabinets for the OP's idea would take his entire budget here, unless the budget is only about the tank and equipment.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 7:31 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m  a carpenter also. I’m wooden boat repair guy and sometimes wooden boat builder. I think if you already have a cabinet shop and you’re jigged up for that you should be in a great place to make stands, they’re more or less just cabinets. You should be able to get some jobs for custom furniture grade stands and make some money at it. 

The challenge with custom stands is that most local fish stores here sell the tank/stand combos. They won't even sell you just the tank. The custom tank builders tend to build big tanks and use steel stands that they custom build also. Once again, you have to buy the combo. If they'll sell you just the tank without the stand, they'll void the warranty since you're not using their stand.

If you have a well-equipped woodshop then consider adding acrylic tank manufacturing to your skillset. It opens the door for a custom tank/stand combo business. Much of the wood working equipment can be used in tank manufacturing also. There are lots of videos out there on acrylic tank manufacturing. If you've got a very well equipped shop with a CNC router table of sufficient size and the right bits, it gets even easier. The CNC router can do all of the cutting and even the edge polishing so all you need do is weld everything together using the right solvent. Plop down the sheet of acrylic (cast acrylic of the right thickness.) Set up the CNC machine and then just let it go. Pull out some clamps and tape when it's cut. Set everything up in the right place and weld the joints. Even if you just break even with the tank but make a decent profit on the stand it's not a bad idea.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’m a finish carpenter by trade.  I’ll be building the wall of cabinetry that the tank will be in as well as the vanity i. Cost would be astronomical if I had to pay for this 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:03 AM, gardenman said:

The challenge with custom stands is that most local fish stores here sell the tank/stand combos. They won't even sell you just the tank. The custom tank builders tend to build big tanks and use steel stands that they custom build also. Once again, you have to buy the combo. If they'll sell you just the tank without the stand, they'll void the warranty since you're not using their stand.

If you have a well-equipped woodshop then consider adding acrylic tank manufacturing to your skillset. It opens the door for a custom tank/stand combo business. Much of the wood working equipment can be used in tank manufacturing also. There are lots of videos out there on acrylic tank manufacturing. If you've got a very well equipped shop with a CNC router table of sufficient size and the right bits, it gets even easier. The CNC router can do all of the cutting and even the edge polishing so all you need do is weld everything together using the right solvent. Plop down the sheet of acrylic (cast acrylic of the right thickness.) Set up the CNC machine and then just let it go. Pull out some clamps and tape when it's cut. Set everything up in the right place and weld the joints. Even if you just break even with the tank but make a decent profit on the stand it's not a bad idea.

Agreed.  But the tank I’m looking st is 1100 bucks.  I couldn’t build it for less.  I’ve got at least a year to acquire all the “stuff” needed for this project so I’m thinking I’ll just sneak stuff into the basement little by little 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

Are you doing all the work or higher if someone for the remodel, also is the $2000 for the tank alone or the whole remodel?

Most importantly, you should set it up so that it auto water changes every time you flush the toilet.

I’ll do all the work from frame to cabinetry to tile myself. The 2000 is for the tank and plants. But I’ve got a year to acquire stuff so the 2000 will be mostly plants and fish