Angelfish owners

TankofFish

I have 6  Black Angelfish on the way, I have read and resarched a good bit. I would like to know if there is any tips that can be given from y'alls experience of having them (Angelfish). 

Thanks

Oh YEAH, I'm moving towards more of a blackwater tank, well at least have the dark golden tea look.

• Like 1

I only have experience with 1 angel - the 1 in my thumbnail pic.

I can tell you they have personality. Maybe comparable to a betta?

Mine refuses to eat dry foods that aren't bright red. Doesn't matter what the ingredients are, just has to be red. 😂 

When I put my nose on the tank wall, he'll face off with me and "kiss" my nose like he's trying to knock my head off. He's such a yappy ankle-biter.

I really enjoy his bad attitude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/22/2021 at 11:42 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I only have experience with 1 angel - the 1 in my thumbnail pic.

I can tell you they have personality. Maybe comparable to a betta?

Mine refuses to eat dry foods that aren't bright red. Doesn't matter what the ingredients are, just has to be red. 😂 

When I put my nose on the tank wall, he'll face off with me and "kiss" my nose like he's trying to knock my head off. He's such a yappy ankle-biter.

I really enjoy his bad attitude.

thanks for the feed back.

I hope all 6 make the trip, I have read they do well in groups 

• Like 1

How big is the tank? Angelfish can be quite territorial so the bigger the tank the better. I would suggest having a lot of plants, which can break up the line of sight, provide hiding spaces and territories. A great plant to include would be amazon swords because they provide a lot of cover and can even be used for laying eggs if the fish decide to spawn (more on that later). 

As mentioned previously these fish have a lot of personality. 

How old are the fish you are getting? With six angelfish in the same tank, there is a good chance you will get one or more pairs of angelfish. The pair will become very territorial and aggressive if they decide to breed, so just make sure the tank is big enough so other fish can stay safely in one part of the tank. If you wish to do so you may pull the pair out and put them in a breeding tank or keep them in there but be prepared to have some aggression. 

Angelfish can be aggressive and territorial so there is a good chance some might bully others if they enter their territories. I suggest adding some dithers, so that angelfish have something else to chase and are used to fish swimming in and out of their territories. This will lower the aggression between the angelfish. 

Dither fish are basically smaller schooling fish. These fish are usually bigger tetras and rasboras, danios or rainbow fish. The amount and type of ditcher you can add depends on the tank size.  

Edited by Nik_n
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What size are they? If they are very young they will likely get along initially. As they get a little older they might fight a little to determine pecking order. Once they become adults things might be rough unless your tank is fairly large.  One thing  is they will mostly just be aggressive among each other but will likely leave all other fishes alone unless (a) the fish is very small in which case they might eat it or (b) they are breeding in which case they will guard their eggs/frys.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I have a pair of angels in a 55G with 15 or so platties and a shoal of corys. I keep the temp kinda lower 77 to detour breeding and heavily planted with swords Java ferns and Anubis with a medium sized branchy log. This is all designed for plenty of hiding for other fish when I’m ready to turn up the temp and incite breeding. 
this is only my opinion with not a lot of experience, I wouldn’t be comfortable keeping 6 in same tank unless it was set up same way very seasoned plant growth and a 125G this might be bigger than needed for more experienced. Because like all have been saying they can be aggressive and in smaller tanks it would be to easy for me to not pick up on it till it’s too late.

hope this helps in your planning and BTW I love tannins in some of my tanks. Looks/ feels natural to me and that’s what I go for.plz post pics when set up.

• Like 1

Okay first thing first Fish will be here tomorrow...YES 

Okay, thanks for the replies, I thought I read that they like to school together, maybe I was asleep when I was reading lol. With that said they are small 3/4 of a inch to  1 inch. They will all go into a 40 gallon tall at first. With the info that yall have given. I will watch them to see how they are doing and as they grow and maybe start to pair up are start being to aggressive to each other I will start  moving them. I hope two pair up, if this happens they will go into a 55gallon by them selves. I will make other moves as needed I have room in another 55 gallon and aslo have room in my 150 gallon. My only concern in my other two tanks is temp, I keep them between 73 to 74 degrees because of the type of fish that is in them.  Will the lower temps be an issue for the Angle fish?

Sorry for the late replie, I work night shif.

• Like 1

this is what I read in my research of Angle fish

Keep at least 5 or more angelfish together in groups of their own species. Keeping groups of the same species together helps keep the aggression of your angelfish in check and makes for a more peaceful aquarium.

• Like 1

If you should decide to breed Angelfish, you'll want the mated pair to be the only fish in the tank, they'll be less likely to eat their eggs, and they're liable to kill all other fish in the tank with them. They are Cichlids and they will do what Cichlids do.

• Thanks 1

Admittedly I'm newer to Angels but what I've done so far has been working. Your quarter to silver dollar sized group of 5 is exactly what I started with. At that size it took about 3-4 months before I had my first pair break off.

I was just finishing up my racking system so the pair got moved to a 20 long and the remaining 3 got moved to a 40. After moving to the 20 the pair was laying every 8-10 days and I was able to hatch out 30-40 on one of those spawns by pulling the cone. 

I was hooked at that point and got an opportunity for another 10 of the same Koi and another 4 Leupold. All unpaired went into a 75 knowing they would be pairing off rather quickly. That was two weeks ago. Since then I have had another two pairs form that have been moved. 

Sure there was some jostling in that busy tank but no injuries to date. The remaining 9 Koi will go into my new 180 that is cycling and the plants are getting established. The 4 Leopold will stay in the 75. I'm running out of tanks to moved pairs into so looking to see how they will raise things on their own.

Most of the other Angel advice I've seen tells me I'm doing it all wrong, but this is what is working for me. See pictures in more detail in my Koi Angel thread.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/14631-koi-angel-fish/?tab=comments#comment-126932

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:44 PM, Gator said:

If you should decide to breed Angelfish, you'll want the mated pair to be the only fish in the tank, they'll be less likely to eat their eggs, and they're liable to kill all other fish in the tank with them. They are Cichlids and they will do what Cichlids do.

Its not really what I was shooting for but if I have 2 pair up they will get a 55 gallon just for them. If I'm able to raise the young I have a LFS I can sell to or give too

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:54 PM, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Admittedly I'm newer to Angels but what I've done so far has been working. Your quarter to silver dollar sized group of 5 is exactly what I started with. At that size it took about 3-4 months before I had my first pair break off.

I was just finishing up my racking system so the pair got moved to a 20 long and the remaining 3 got moved to a 40. After moving to the 20 the pair was laying every 8-10 days and I was able to hatch out 30-40 on one of those spawns by pulling the cone. 

I was hooked at that point and got an opportunity for another 10 of the same Koi and another 4 Leupold. All unpaired went into a 75 knowing they would be pairing off rather quickly. That was two weeks ago. Since then I have had another two pairs form that have been moved. 

Sure there was some jostling in that busy tank but no injuries to date. The remaining 9 Koi will go into my new 180 that is cycling and the plants are getting established. The 4 Leopold will stay in the 75. I'm running out of tanks to moved pairs into so looking to see how they will raise things on their own.

Most of the other Angel advice I've seen tells me I'm doing it all wrong, but this is what is working for me. See pictures in more detail in my Koi Angel thread.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/14631-koi-angel-fish/?tab=comments#comment-126932

what temp are you keeping your tanks at 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:21 PM, Gator said:

TankofFish;

I'd suggest keeping your tanks at 85 degrees both to mimic the temps in their natural environment and to keep diseases at bay.

I will only be able to keep the 40 tall and one 55 gallon at that temp, the other tanks have fish in them and that temp would be way to high.

I read where @Daniel keeps two angel fish at temps in the low 70 degree water but he is not trying to breed them yet. I'm only asking cause if I get to much fighting going on with mine, some may be moved to tanks that the water temp is between 73 to 75 degrees.

Hmmmm, might just be a good reason to invest in another 100 gallon tank🤔

• Haha 1

Tank bred angels are perfectly happy at 77-78 and can be kept a bit cooler; wild angels need to be kept warmer.  Nearly all angelfishes sold these days are tank bred; if you are paying a pretty penny for them they could be wild as wild angels are consider somewhat a premium fish.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:13 AM, anewbie said:

Tank bred angels are perfectly happy at 77-78 and can be kept a bit cooler; wild angels need to be kept warmer.  Nearly all angelfishes sold these days are tank bred; if you are paying a pretty penny for them they could be wild as wild angels are consider somewhat a premium fish.

The ones that I'm getting are captive bred. The wild are little more than I wanted to spend

On 8/23/2021 at 10:38 PM, TankofFish said:

I read where @Daniel keeps two angel fish at temps in the low 70 degree water but he is not trying to breed them yet. I'm only asking cause if I get to much fighting going on with mine, some may be moved to tanks that the water temp is between 73 to 75 degrees.

Hmmmm, might just be a good reason to invest in another 100 gallon tank🤔

Cool temperatures and sparse feeding will definitely suppress breeding. The fish will be happy enough, but not so happy as to breed much.

• Like 1

Well the Angle fish arrived this morning at 11:20am. All in great shape and they are all very very stunning pitch black and about the size of a quater. Im very happy with my order. 

I thank all for the replies and advice that was given, now let the jounery begin.

• Like 2