• Other
  3. 3. Best type of filter

• HOB
    • Canister
    • Sponge
    • Trickle/Wet dry
    • Internal/Box filter
    • Sump
    • Pool filter(It isn’t unheard of for massive tanks/ponds)
    • Other

I use HOBs, canisters, and internal sponge filters and all use sponges as the filter media. The Aqua Clears use a sponge. I have sponges in my Penn Plax Cascade canisters. Even my K1 fluidized filters use a sponge as a prefilter. I use quilt batting as a fine filter after the sponges, but the primary media is sponges. It's just a question of how you get water flowing through the sponges. Canisters do it one way, HOBs another, internal sponge filters (the round guys or the Matten filter walls) yet another way. When you watch videos of people who make a career out of raising fish, sponge filters are what they typically use.

@PineSong the struggle is real!!!! Yes... the mollies/fry school to my hand like those cool tetras in the last coop store tour 😂🙈. I feel bad sending them to the salad bar of pothos root algae... one meal a day twice is the same as a fast day, right? Inquiring grandmas want to know 😂 

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:26 PM, skipper said:

@PineSong the struggle is real!!!! Yes... the mollies/fry school to my hand like those cool tetras in the last coop store tour 😂🙈. I feel bad sending them to the salad bar of pothos root algae... one meal a day twice is the same as a fast day, right? Inquiring grandmas want to know 😂 

So funny, I just today thought "it's not like they aren't eating...it's just like they are having the salad bar" when I was trying to talk myself into not feeding them. At the same time, the mollies' tank has only been set up since July so it doesn't have much "salad" yet. 

• Like 1