Dark stripe in ember tetra (think kidney/swim ladder area)

Corydorachick

Hi fellow nerms,

May I ask a question please?

Does anybody know what this might be? And more importantly if it's anything to be concerned about?

S/he seems fine, hanging out with the 24 other buddies none of whom have the dark line. Eats fine from what I can see, though can be tricky to be certain since it's a bit of a feeding frenzy. Defo seen her/him eat something though as I do look out special, since this one is distinctive and I've been concerned.

Doesn't seem to be getting blacker or bigger. I first noticed it about 3-4 weeks ago. IMG_20210821_234258_334.jpg.79d61c3026c271b50f01017e1a8ac826.jpg

Last addition to tank was 3 additional panda Cory's 3 months ago to 6 that were already in the tank. (They were quarantined first, but without meds since I'm in UK)

Last death was before that, and I believe from old age.

Tank been set up for 3.5 years, not totally sure of age of tetras as some bred in the tank but think max is 2 years. In addition to the tetras, and cory's there are also some Otto's in the tank.

pH 8 - which I know is a bit high for tetras but stable at that for years and I figure stable better than trying to change and causing it to swing.

Nitrite 0

(Out of test for ammonia atm but tank usually very stable and never been above 0.1ppm)

Nitrates kept at 20-40ppm. Admittedly closer to 40 right now but we're supposed to be watching water usage for last 2 months so tank been on reduced water changes, but check weekly and as it creeps to 40 I do a change till its back under control.

Fed a variety, main staple is fluval bugbites micro pellets, but mix it up with  brine shrimp, vibrabites, krill flakes etc. Also sinking pellets, bloodworms, black worms and freeze dried tubiflex worms (their mainly for the corey's but tetras have a munch too as it sinks) and repashi community with added spiralina mainly with the Otto's in mind, but again, all happy to pile in.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm not overly worried as seems to be happy enough and wouldn't want to stress them out by putting on own in quarantine tank, however, main concern is it's something that could pass on to others in the tank.

Much thanks for reading to the end of this post, and especially if you can shed any light 🙂

IMG_20210821_234252_171.jpg

It difficult to tell off the pictures if the  black line is  internal it could be  constipated and that what your seeing with my x-ray tetras under the right  light I can see the food they have just eaten has it passed anything resently  

Edited by Colu

On 8/22/2021 at 1:50 AM, Colu said:

It difficult to tell off the pictures if the  black line is  internal it could be  constipated and that what your seeing with my x-ray tetras under the right  light I can see the food they have just eaten has it passed anything resently  

Sorry Colu,

Jimmy I am definitely not! They move so fast it is very difficult to get an in focus shot of just this one symptomatic fish. The colour is indeed internal, I hadn't thought of constipation (I have no idea if and when it last past anything if I am being honest)

I will try starving them a day then give them a spiralina heavy meal, or maybe try them on a de-shelled pea see if that does anything.

Thank you very much for the suggestion and taking the time to answer. If you have any other ideas on how to handle it I am always happy to listen 🙂

On 8/22/2021 at 3:44 AM, Tankseeker said:

@Corydorachickwhat is your feeding schedule?

If babies in the tank 3-4 times a day, but since I've been trying to save water I have dropped temp by a few°c and only feeding once, or maybe twice a day if they seem hungry I usually go one day a week where they get nothing from me but there are seed shrimp and other micro fauna etc in the tank,

I usually do this seasonally just to reduce breeding behaviour and let everyone have some down time rather than be on permanent breeding mode

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 3:48 AM, Colu said:

If it is constipation epsom salts bath 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  for not more then 15 minutes 2-3 times a day as  epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants it will  help with constipation

Excellent thank you I forgot about Epsom salts 🙂 will do 👍🏻

• 11 months later...