Today's gameshow.. What is that in my tank?!

aquachris

I am not sure what this is or where it came from.  I don't believe its any kind of eggs of fish in it as they are huge and hard.  When squeezed they pop out milky like substance.  I have another post with mystery plants that were in the tank, plus I have hygrophila augustifolia and a ludwigia of some sort in the two tanks I have found these.   Fish - Fresh Water Bee Gobies, ottos, pea puffers, a couple guppies and lots of red cherry shrimp.  Yes my peas do great here.

YPfqfHWOQCSpExcJ1h05dA.jpg.6f784b45db8a863df66436382ee7497c.jpg

Edited by aquachris

On 8/21/2021 at 2:33 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Hi, they look like fertilizer pellets to me? I’ve found them within the rock wool that the plants that I’ve gotten from ACO come in. According to Aquarium Coop they should be safe, I’m not sure where these ones came from but they’re probably fine if they’re from a reputable source.

Much too big for that. They are bigger than a bb

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fertilizers are commonly that size. Aquarium fertizers are mixed in the plant as other fertilizers. The fertilizers that are in a caplet form are normally sent from a fertilizer plant to a packing house. The hard tablets that tend to be about the other half of aquarium fertilizers are smaller grains(about size of sand). These when used for this purpose  other purposes would be for use on very short grass[like a golf green]. The smaller grains are harder and more time consuming to coat to make them coated(slow-release fertilizer). So now to the point. The larger size fertilizers tend to less expensive through the whole process, when with putting them in the capsules. These look like a slow release fertilizer that is coated in a plastic( other type of coating would be sulfur) polymer as water moves through the through the plastic polymer water moves into to the fertilizer and the fertilizer is mixed with the water in to solution. This solution then can migrate outside into the water/substrate where it can be used by the plant. These same type fertilizers are common in use with plants and can of be found in house plants when you by them or of you use poly coated fertilizer. 

I can talk more in depth about fertilizers or make it more simple. I have agronomy degree and ran golf courses and polo fields for 20 years. There are other types of fertilizers that are used but I explained the polymer coated because it shows how you get what the poster has.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 3:52 PM, Brandon p said:

Fertilizers are commonly that size. Aquarium fertizers are mixed in the plant as other fertilizers. The fertilizers that are in a caplet form are normally sent from a fertilizer plant to a packing house. The hard tablets that tend to be about the other half of aquarium fertilizers are smaller grains(about size of sand). These when used for this purpose  other purposes would be for use on very short grass[like a golf green]. The smaller grains are harder and more time consuming to coat to make them coated(slow-release fertilizer). So now to the point. The larger size fertilizers tend to less expensive through the whole process, when with putting them in the capsules. These look like a slow release fertilizer that is coated in a plastic( other type of coating would be sulfur) polymer as water moves through the through the plastic polymer water moves into to the fertilizer and the fertilizer is mixed with the water in to solution. This solution then can migrate outside into the water/substrate where it can be used by the plant. These same type fertilizers are common in use with plants and can of be found in house plants when you by them or of you use poly coated fertilizer. 

I can talk more in depth about fertilizers or make it more simple. I have agronomy degree and ran golf courses and polo fields for 20 years. There are other types of fertilizers that are used but I explained the polymer coated because it shows how you get what the poster has.

That's amazing actually lol. Btw I use ozmocote for root tabs. I figured it's that, or some plant leaving pods, or aliens...  

• Like 1

Yeah …. Your screwed!!! Those are definitely alien eggs that will hatch in the middle of the night …crawl out of the tank and make it to your bed where they will enter your nostrils and take over your brain😱😱😱

or it could be fertilizer…I’ll let you decide😏

• Haha 2

On 9/12/2021 at 9:09 PM, ARMYVET said:

Yeah …. Your screwed!!! Those are definitely alien eggs that will hatch in the middle of the night …crawl out of the tank and make it to your bed where they will enter your nostrils and take over your brain😱😱😱

😏

I knew it!