Tub time

Kittkat1981

Debating on doing a 150 gal tub next spring. i live in kansas. 90 to 105 summer 50 to 20 average winter. i want to keep it going all the time. what fish will take this temp swing?  Keep in mind; it will be out of direct sunlight.  and i have no problem putting more air or a small heater to keep it from freezing.  in short  i want this to be an aquarium but outside....all the time.  can it be done and what fish to get.  what should i keep an eye on?

The easy was to go would be Goldfish, but I’m a little biased since I like them so much. Japanese Ricefish might also be an easy choice. I don’t have any but I’m enjoying them vicariously through @Ryo Watanabe’s YouTube channel. 

here’s a couple picsC873517E-17AD-42D6-8C7E-8AC5E93A6C3A.jpeg.f5ec3e5e0104e629352b7ae5af440d1a.jpeg90955A0D-9228-4637-A690-375B2D3EBBD7.jpeg.95e7e09550da7c40fa36755f249f7e96.jpeg I poached from the internet

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2

Would putting a 300 watt or even smaller heater be beneficial?  Running air from the inside may not be doable. Its roughly 30 ft of tubing to get air to tithe air would be cold befor it got there. But I can run a nano pump outside, PROTECTED CAUSE THEY ARNT WATER PROOF,  and will probably do just that, the more I think about it 

My major concern is what fish can handle the seasonal extremes. Gold fish like mentioned above are an idea. But I would like to keep some plants. I know they will die off in the winter but horn wort or brazzilian money wort grows fast.  Also thinking of just some water lettus or frogbit

• Like 1

I’d highly recommend reading a copy of dr. Ted Coletti’s The Tub Pond Handbook. It’s pretty much the all things from a guy who has been tub ponds for decades. 

I would also recommend goldfish, if your in an area where you are not worried much about predation, I’d recommend Chinese bred telescope butterfly goldfish, they are meant to be viewed from above and can handle ice, they just are slower so if your worried about predation than I’d stick to the single tail goldfish. 

rice fish can handle the ice, but will be more vulnerable to dragonfly larva and things like that which won’t bother goldfish. 

• Like 1

I'll be the odd one out and suggest natives. Kansas has some cool ones (Northern Plains Killifish, Red Shiners, Longear Sunfish, Orangespotted Sunfish, even the wild form of the Rosy Red Minnow (Fathead Minnows)) occur in Kansas, and they can handle the temperatures with just a stock tank de-icer in the winter

• Like 3

On 8/21/2021 at 4:17 PM, Streetwise said:

White Clouds and Neocaridina can survive under ice.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:57 PM, L_goodei200 said:

I'll be the odd one out and suggest natives. Kansas has some cool ones (Northern Plains Killifish, Red Shiners, Longear Sunfish, Orangespotted Sunfish, even the wild form of the Rosy Red Minnow (Fathead Minnows)) occur in Kansas, and they can handle the temperatures with just a stock tank de-icer in the winter

On 8/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, Patrick_G said:

I grow floaters and emersed plants in my goldfish patio pond. When I had a small inground pond in a colder area I used a littte stock tank heater to keep a section ice free. 

I should also note.  My well water parameters.  45 dgh. 44 dkh.  Little to no nitrates no nitrites no ammonia.