Frogbit Maintenance

Fresh

Frogbit is intersting for me. It's taken over my rain barrels that are in full sun. It's absolutely thriving there. In my tanks it gets maybe dime to quarter-sized but out there it's much bigger. It might need more light. I don't think it's a nutrient issue as my rain barrels only have rainwater which is nutrient poor. More light seems to be better.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 11:01 AM, Scott P. said:

Only maintenance that I have to do to mine is give them a root trim about every 10 days or so. That and thin out the numbers of plants weekly.

I think that's the issue here. The roots were really growing & then one day it was like they were all gone

On 8/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, Fresh said:

I think that's the issue here. The roots were really growing & then one day it was like they were all gone

The only thing I have noticed on mine is they like light. The ones directly below the lights seem to grow roots at least twice as fast as the ones in the shade.

You stated that you are also losing fish. Did you figure that out? Just wondering if the two problems could be related.

In the picture it looks like there's water on the top surface of the leaves.  My experience with Frogbit is that it wants the top of it's leaves kept dry.  If the top of the leaves are consistently kept wet or submerged,  the leaves start to get discolored, pockmarked, and wither.