For My Pea Puffer Lovers

Jennifer V

On 8/20/2021 at 11:33 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

@Jennifer V for the benefit of a plan-to-be-pea-puffer-keeper-in-the-future, what were the things you were doing wrong? 

I thought I had done a TON of research before I got the little guys but somehow missed the following: they should never be kept in anything less than a 20g, should be kept in groups of at least six and need sandy substrate. 

Now, I see that we can have absolutely healthy puffs in tanks that don't abide by those rules -- I'm sure the info is highly contested. The stunning photos above make me feel much better about the home I set up for them so I think I'll use the info I researched as a reason to convince my wife that we actually, in fact, could have another tank in our tiny apartment, which is something she's resisted up until now. 

Here are some of my lovelies in action hunting snails I hid in some susswassertang. 

IMG_20210819_223546.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, Jennifer V said:

I thought I had done a TON of research before I got the little guys but somehow missed the following: they should never be kept in anything less than a 20g, should be kept in groups of at least six and need sandy substrate. 

Now, I see that we can have absolutely healthy puffs in tanks that don't abide by those rules -- I'm sure the info is highly contested. The stunning photos above make me feel much better about the home I set up for them so I think I'll use the info I researched as a reason to convince my wife that we actually, in fact, could have another tank in our tiny apartment, which is something she's resisted up until now. 

Here are some of my lovelies in action hunting snails I hid in some susswassertang. 

IMG_20210819_223546.jpg

Thanks! Any idea why people say they need sand instead of gravel? I was planning on gravel! 

I was planning to keep 6 of them, I don't think this is necessarily a hard and fast rule but from listening to people who have done both a group of 6 sounds more fun. Though I've got a 15 gallon set aside for them and wanted gravel so what do I know?!

Lovely little puffers in your pics 🙂 also really like the susswassertang, need to remember to get myself some of that. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 12:53 PM, Jennifer V said:

Where did you get the rock you used? 

Off the side of Highway 44 a little west of St. Louis. There's dozens of spots where they cut through hills in the process of making the highway, and the rock faces spawl off from erosion and freeze/thaw in the winter. I like the look and the limestone helps keep my pH stable. I've noticed now that my snails in tanks with limestone have much more robust shells too, added bonus!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have Bad Pea Daddy in his solo retirement home of a 6 gallon cube.  I got into peas after rescuing him.  I tried 3 times to get him a harem or integrate him into a full shoal, but let’s just say he wasn’t open to the idea.

I have 8 in a 20 long but I’m planning to switch my 29 gallon from plant holding to a planted pea tank for them.  I have 6 still in a QT holding tank but they will be going back to my LFS now that I actually have a shoal.  The 20 long is currently a hot mess of algae so I’ll be doing some things differently in the 29 to help minimize that as much as I can.  I’m a member of Overfeeders Anonymous when it comes to my peas, apparently.  🤷🏻‍♀️

First pic is the 6 G cube.  Don’t bother looking for Pea Daddy, he hides all the time.  The second pic is an older one of the 20 long tank.  A current pic would be too embarrassing.  The peas are happy enough with it, but I’m not.  It is far more grown in, but also even more algae covered.  😔 

D13BDB43-5C89-40CB-86F5-F0569F7A729C.jpeg

4904B269-5FF4-48B7-BC75-553EDB52DABC.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 1:18 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Thanks! Any idea why people say they need sand instead of gravel? I was planning on gravel! 

I was planning to keep 6 of them, I don't think this is necessarily a hard and fast rule but from listening to people who have done both a group of 6 sounds more fun. Though I've got a 15 gallon set aside for them and wanted gravel so what do I know?!

Lovely little puffers in your pics 🙂 also really like the susswassertang, need to remember to get myself some of that. 

They are known to try to dive into the substrate when startled.  Sand works for that, gravel, well, not so much.  They also need a tightly covered tank because they will also leap when startled.  I’ve had 3 end up places they shouldn’t when I was trying to net them.  Fish trap and whiteworm bait is my (and their) friends.

• Like 3

@Jennifer V  I’m going to STOP FEEDING SO MUCH!  At least that’s what I keep telling myself over and over.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😆

I’m also going to have more mechanical filtration and start with even more plants from the beginning.  I’ll have more water column feeding plants including pothos growing emerse with wet feet.  I’ll be fertilizing minimally into the water column and depending more on some nutrients leaching from the substrate and on the plentiful fish waste.

I’m also going to let bladder snails get established, but NOT ramshorns this time.  I think leftover meat in snail shells is a significant part of the algae issue.  I’ll add more scuds/amphipods from the beginning to help clean up any snail shells and snail meat traces inside any leftover shells.

I’m also going to try for more blackworms in the substrate before I introduce the peas.  I may even try waving my hand across the substrate frequently to train the blackworms (and scuds) to hide a lot.  I’d like to not have an immediate massacre of ALL the blackworms by the greedy peas.

That’s my plan with all its weaknesses, which are mainly me and my heavy hand with the live food.  Ironic that I provide all kinds of sources of live foods but still can’t stop myself from adding even more, even when I can see fat bellies!  But THIS one’s belly isn’t round.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😆

I’m kind of hoping that 50% more space will allow the thinner ones more territory so I don’t see any slender bellies.  It’s hard to only feed the “skinny” ones since they are the shy ones that don’t approach the tongs as readily.  The bold ones steal the worms before the shy ones get there.  My dogs, cats, and birds aren’t fat, even my other fish aren’t, but my pea puffers sure are!  😂 🤣 

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:03 PM, Odd Duck said:

@Jennifer V  I’m going to STOP FEEDING SO MUCH!  At least that’s what I keep telling myself over and over.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😆

I’m kind of hoping that 50% more space will allow the thinner ones more territory so I don’t see any slender bellies.  It’s hard to only feed the “skinny” ones since they are the shy ones that don’t approach the tongs as readily.  The bold ones steal the worms before the shy ones get there.  My dogs, cats, and birds aren’t fat, even my other fish aren’t, but my pea puffers sure are!  😂 🤣 

Those are all great ideas! 

I'm having the same problem with mine. The most timid of the bunch looks a bit slender and I'm not sure how to get her enough food without stuffing the others to the point that they're uncomfortable -- that's happened! How do you deal with that? 

On 8/20/2021 at 2:29 PM, Jennifer V said:

Those are all great ideas! 

I'm having the same problem with mine. The most timid of the bunch looks a bit slender and I'm not sure how to get her enough food without stuffing the others to the point that they're uncomfortable -- that's happened! How do you deal with that? 

Poorly!  Lol!  I’ve trained them all to feed from my planting tongs/tweezers, but it’s a very imperfect plan at best.  It does help some, but it’s very hard to get enough food into the shyest individuals.  I’m hoping just providing more territory gives them more confidence so they hide less, feed themselves more, and come out to eat quicker so I can more evenly distribute the food.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jennifer V said:

@eatyourpeas beautiful! How did you get that lovely green on the wood in your three? Is that just pretty algae? 

Thanks! That part of the wood is close to the light and it makes for happy algae, and when the snails are scarce because "someone" ate them, it grows back beautifully until the next round of snails.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Love 1

On 8/20/2021 at 12:29 PM, Jennifer V said:

I’m going to STOP FEEDING SO MUCH!

I am guilty of doing that with other tanks, but the puffers are there by themselves, so it is easy to pace the feeding until their bellies look full. Now, they will keep begging with those big eyes of theirs, but I know that is the stopping point. 🐡

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I am guilty of doing that with other tanks, but the puffers are there by themselves, so it is easy to pace the feeding until their bellies look full. Now, they will keep begging with those big eyes of theirs, but I know that is the stopping point. 🐡

This is another part of the reason for moving them out of the bedroom and into the office where I won’t have them doing “the eyes” at me so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 7:30 PM, Odd Duck said:

They are known to try to dive into the substrate when startled.  Sand works for that, gravel, well, not so much.  They also need a tightly covered tank because they will also leap when startled.  I’ve had 3 end up places they shouldn’t when I was trying to net them.  Fish trap and whiteworm bait is my (and their) friends.

Ah thanks I hadn't heard that at all! Makes them even more adorable. Will definitely give them sand then. 

Could I ask what it is you are using to keep your floating plants together? I am using an airline tube but it's sort of 'floppy' and one section dips down enough that some of my salvinia can float over it occasionally, whereas yours looks nice and rigid and neat. 

Also I'm so jealous of your Aquarium Co-op sponge filter! 

Awesome tanks btw

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:14 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Ah thanks I hadn't heard that at all! Makes them even more adorable. Will definitely give them sand then. 

Could I ask what it is you are using to keep your floating plants together? I am using an airline tube but it's sort of 'floppy' and one section dips down enough that some of my salvinia can float over it occasionally, whereas yours looks nice and rigid and neat. 

Also I'm so jealous of your Aquarium Co-op sponge filter! 

Awesome tanks btw

Thanks.

Yes, the ACO sponge filters really are a step, and sometimes a big leap, above other brands and styles and I’ve run (and am running) other brands, still, but I’m no longer buying other brands.

I switched to using double diameter silicone tubing.  It’s 3/8” across instead of 3/16” across.  A little pricier than airline but that’s the only thing I use it for.  Then I get 3/8” barbed end-to-end fittings to go with the tubing.  I spent about $20.00 but I’ve made several floating rings out of 10’ of tubing.  It doesn’t really like to be smaller than about 6” across.  If you try for a 5” ring, it wants to kink a bit.  It still works, it’s just shaped a bit funny.  If you make a big enough ring, the bigger tubing gets a bit wobbly, too.  Between 6” and around 8” diameter seems to be the happy place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 9:23 PM, Odd Duck said:

Thanks.

Yes, the ACO sponge filters really are a step, and sometimes a big leap, above other brands and styles and I’ve run (and am running) other brands, still, but I’m no longer buying other brands.

I switched to using double diameter silicone tubing.  It’s 3/8” across instead of 3/16” across.  A little pricier than airline but that’s the only thing I use it for.  Then I get 3/8” barbed end-to-end fittings to go with the tubing.  I spent about $20.00 but I’ve made several floating rings out of 10’ of tubing.  It doesn’t really like to be smaller than about 6” across.  If you try for a 5” ring, it wants to kink a bit.  It still works, it’s just shaped a bit funny.  If you make a big enough ring, the bigger tubing gets a bit wobbly, too.  Between 6” and around 8” diameter seems to be the happy place.

About 8" diameter is what I need I think so that sounds like what I need, thanks! 

On 8/20/2021 at 3:39 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Sorry for the stupid question, does the 3/8" refer to the inside or outside diameter of the tube? Looking on Amazon in the UK it quotes both so can get either, there's even some green coloured one if it's the outside diameter

This is what I got.  It’s 3/8” OD.  Green sounds interesting, might disappear even more with plants.

Edit to add I think I got 10’, though.

Edit again to add it was around $10.00 for 10’ if I remember right.

And the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask!

4B21D8AF-164D-416C-A566-6F0EB088E26F.png

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 2