Maracyn Two for betta fish tail/fin rot

Ariel S

fin rot help please friends! 

I have some Fritz Mardel Maracyn II on hand (not the type that’s part of the med trio suggested  by the coop- I think that’s regular Maracyn). Anyone have experience with this product curing fin rot? 

Is it ok to use this instead? If so, should I dose the same as suggested by aquarium coop or follow instructions on the box? 

My betta is in a 20 gallon community tank. He used to be “fine” (no fin issues) for 3 years but the last 6 months he’s having fin rot issues. I keep the tank clean (regular water changes, always 20ppm nitrate, 0 ammonia or nitrite, temp is 79, lots of plants (stem, floating, and bulb). I have endlers and Cory cats with him. Running a sponge filter. 
Something is stressing him out I guess? I would suspect the Endlers, but I never see him chasing them or the corys.

I have a quarantine tank but have no space for a permanent tank for just him to be moved to. 

thank you for any advice!! 

094BD4B0-E003-44FB-968A-734A5053ABF8.jpeg

630B4508-AF91-4012-9610-8DCB891CB47D.jpeg

EC31CBA8-D6D2-4770-A69D-92AA8FCD52CC.jpeg

On 9/26/2020 at 7:31 PM, Cory said:

It's a different med and in my experience hasn't been as effected. You'd follow the directions on the package. 

Cory, 

I picked up some regular Maracyn. Should I follow directions on the back of the box? Or do you have different, more effective instruction?

Box instructions say to add 1 packet per 10 gallons 5 days in a row, but doesn’t say anything about water changes? I know I’ve done water changes in the past using antibiotics maybe I’ve been using them wrong? Hence the fin rot issues returning.  Didn’t the website used to have your instructions for use? If they differed. 

back of the box directions:  

Add the contents of one package per 10 gallons of water and repeat every 24 hours for 5 days. Repeat this 5 day treatment only once if needed.

• Administrators

This is why fish meds are so difficult. Same dosage, same drug two different companies. One says change water daily, other days 5 days in a row is fine.

in my experience 1 dose without changing water is just as effective as those two for the diseases I run into. I dose once and let sit for a week monitoring it.