All-Purpose 75 Gallon Journal

Patrick_G

The tank was starting to look pretty bad. The Java ferns decided to start getting brown and losing leaves. 
I’ve been trying to keep the tank balanced and cutting back on the fertilizer. It’s been great for water quality but not so great for the plants. 
I ended up doing a huge trimming and moving a few plants around.

A32A7348-C63A-4354-8619-F2AF606529B4.jpeg

00FCA09C-4ECD-4A23-8F10-C1F433441606.jpeg

D48C4F19-D13E-49DB-B067-2A00338023C2.jpeg

282E4709-CC38-4493-9BD3-144B0C4E8299.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Since the addition of co2 the PSO has gone crazy. I decided to remove most of it, but left a few stems. The tank is due for a little rearranging. I think the huge Aponogeton in the foreground needs to be moved back and the red/green lotus behind it should come forward. 
I’m planning on also switching out the stocking. I have several ideas:

-German blue rams

-Angels

-A huge shoal of Pea puffers 

-Spotted Congo puffers 
78F742B3-D529-4489-8F95-7D36C4FD4A4F.jpeg.df95076270dc1ebde00d3dace4871d9b.jpeg

2B8C9587-ED42-4400-8DA0-B63DCF23D463.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

On 9/27/2022 at 11:32 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Good call on the plants. I’ll never do an Aponogeton in the foreground again! If indeed someone is breeding congos locally you have to do it!!

Ha! I think you got me interested in Aponogeton in the first place. 😁

They are great plants but you really have to be careful where you put the larger ones. They get big fast and create some serious shade. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 2:32 PM, Schuyler said:

What are the two red plants in front?

Did you do one of those industrial light covers as a lid?

The two red plants were Red tiger lotus from aquarium co-op. I lucked into the nicest specimens at the retail store. They were great while they lasted. One is currently dormant and one is sort of struggling along and probably about to go dormant. 

I have a regular Aqueon glass lid, but only use it when I leave town, otherwise it’s just open top.

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I love the tank.  However, the thing that really draws my eye in is the stand.  I love building my own aquarium stand.  With that hardware and the dark stained wood, you've created something beautiful that you just can't buy in a store.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 3:15 PM, Galabar said:

I love the tank.  However, the thing that really draws my eye in is the stand.  I love building my own aquarium stand.  With that hardware and the dark stained wood, you've created something beautiful that you just can't buy in a store.

This was a popular DIY stand a few years ago. It’ll come up in a google search for “modern industrial aquarium stand”. It’s very easy to build if you have a few tools. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 6:55 PM, Patrick_G said:

DB1C8AE5-0479-4047-9791-84479420E164.jpeg

I'm not saying you should at all do it, but what a beautiful tank when you first set it up.  You could cut back so many plants and it would still be a pretty epic tank.  Not sure how on earth I missed the thread, but these things happen!

You had a reply a year or so ago talking about java fern with Torrey.  The comment was mentioning about how you don't really feel great with it because you keep seeing signs of nutrient issues.  Has this changed?

Out of curiosity, what is your water testing for this tank in terms of KH, GH, Nitrates, and temp?

What is one thing you wish you could tell yourself that you learned through the life of this tank?  Just meaning... a piece of advice you'd give yourself or a change you'd make after the experiences you've had with the tank.

On 5/11/2023 at 1:51 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

You had a reply a year or so ago talking about java fern with Torrey.  The comment was mentioning about how you don't really feel great with it because you keep seeing signs of nutrient issues.  Has this changed?

I’d say Co2 is the key for Java fern. It’s just so hard to keep it looking perfect in low tech. I’ve also found that some variants are much easier than others. Fortunately it’s the cool narrow leaf and trident variants that do well for me. When I reset the tank I’ll only be using those variants. 

What is one thing you wish you could tell yourself that you learned through the life of this tank?  Just meaning... a piece of advice you'd give yourself or a change you'd make after the experiences you've had with the tank.

I quickly learned that although budget LED lights are very good these days, they just don’t have the punch to properly certain grow stem plants in a tank this tall. I should probably upgrade for round two. 

Out of curiosity, what is your water testing for this tank in terms of KH, GH, Nitrates, and temp?

It’s fairly low temp because I keep Panda Corydoras and Swordtails, 74-76F. 

Nitrates are very low these days because it’s probably 80-90% plant mass and they reallly suck up the nutrients. It’s usually about 10ppm.  The water’s pretty soft and slightly acidic. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 9:03 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Come to the Dutch side 😆

Haha, yes, after summer travel obligations are over I’ll going to start a new 60p. I’m pretty sure it’ll be full Dutch.  I’ll be pestering you and @gjcarew for tips 😁

I think the 75 is going to be more of a traditional nature aquarium style and hopefully home to some breeding Angels.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, Patrick_G said:

Haha, yes, after summer travel obligations are over I’ll going to start a new 60p. I’m pretty sure it’ll be full Dutch.  I’ll be pestering you and @gjcarew for tips 😁

I think the 75 is going to be more of a traditional nature aquarium style and hopefully home to some breeding Angels.

Perfect! Throw a Weak Aqua on it while they are cheap ☺️

Edited by Mmiller2001

On 5/11/2023 at 10:00 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Perfect! Throw a Weak Aqua on it while they are cheap ☺️

I have a Chihiros WRGB II that I bought on your recommendation 😆. Do you think it’s worth the extra work to sell the WRGB II and get the Weak Aqua? I think I could come pretty close to breaking even. 

On 5/11/2023 at 11:41 AM, Patrick_G said:

I have a Chihiros WRGB II that I bought on your recommendation 😆. Do you think it’s worth the extra work to sell the WRGB II and get the Weak Aqua? I think I could come pretty close to breaking even. 

No, that's a great light. I would have stayed with my Chihiros if it wasn't for the size problem with the new tank.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 8:46 AM, Patrick_G said:

It’s fairly low temp because I keep Panda Corydoras and Swordtails, 74-76F. 

Nitrates are very low these days because it’s probably 80-90% plant mass and they reallly suck up the nutrients. It’s usually about 10ppm.  The water’s pretty soft and slightly acidic. 

ORD! (Haven't even had coffee yet 😞 )

Awesome.  Sounds familiar!  It looks good and it'll be interesting to see how things develop for you.  That original "island style" setup was pretty spectacular.  Open space for corydoras and everything included.  One day my plants will grow!

• Like 1