All-Purpose 75 Gallon Journal

Patrick_G

On 1/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, Torrey said:

4th image from the top, what is that fish?

The blue contrasts nicely with the yellow. 

It’s a Japan Blue-Gold guppy. I guess it’s really a k class endler/guppy cross. I think it was @CalmedByFish that recommended them several months ago. I got lucky when a person in our local club was giving some away. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 7:11 PM, Patrick_G said:

It’s a Japan Blue-Gold guppy. I guess it’s really a k class endler/guppy cross. I think it was @CalmedByFish that recommended them several months ago. I got lucky when a person in our local club was giving some away. 

Thank you!

They are gorgeous, almost makes me want another tank😅

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:07 PM, Torrey said:

Thank you!

They are gorgeous, almost makes me want another tank😅

I think it’s a strain that the owner of the local ADA shop sells. The woman I got them from said she had bought them from him and then worked hard to further refine them. 

• Like 1

It’s this one. I bought it just before AC released their model. I like the fan shaped diverter and the two cartridges for filter media. I put coarse sponge in one and floss in the other. 

Odyssea EX 250 DX Internal Filter Powerhead Aquarium Water Pump Submersible https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016V9UEUE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_KQ35YE4TA6SQ9KXBWZ9Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

22AB51CD-7B4A-437B-81B9-B58BFB916412.png.4aab4f85f754bca54ace89f120719f3a.png

• Like 2

I did a little clean up to deal with my algae prone micro swords. I ended up removing the ones that attracted the most algae. I was also annoyed by the bits of black stratum that make their way onto the sand. I siphoned out most of it and then added a thin cap of new sand. I’m not sure why the Tiger Lotus isn’t as bright as it used to be. I gave both plants a root tab, maybe that’ll help. 
FD072BF0-23E7-46ED-A11F-1FFD407F313C.jpeg.84491b1f54bee6d33d3fe5c40d5da9c3.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 5
  • Love 6

• 1 month later...

This tank has a pretty good balance but it was time for a water change. Unfortunately my hose sprang a leak! I ended up filling a plastic tub and using a pump to transfer the water to the tank. Fortunately I had a pump, plastic hose and a wifi switch on hand in my growing pile of aquarium stuff. I have new respect for the folks that use this method as their primary way to change water!
I added two plants that are new to me, Dwarf hairgrass and Nymphoides Taiwan, and one that I've tried before, Pogostemon helferi. I think the Nymphoides will do great but the low plants might not get enough light. I’ll have to keep a close eye on them.

7CEB1CDE-D11C-4C9B-908C-56404B3961A6.jpeg

38A10030-F5A0-4D87-B92A-2BBFBA7B9739.jpeg

BCBE3F5E-1951-4A8D-97C6-93ECB7D67AB4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 3/7/2022 at 10:49 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

The tank is looking fantastic. Hopefully the carpet stayed dry too!

Fortunately I caught the leak when I was regulating the water temp and was standing in the shower stall. I guess I was lucky 🙂

• Like 1

That is great. I ordered seeds of the Rubin.  They are still stuck in china. I’m going to try a pond setup with them on my balcony this spring to get them growing if I can.  Please post any tips or things you notice they really like. Those pots are great to get added height.  You can sit them on a flat river rock to get more if you need it. And really must you show off that fern (I think that’s a Java bad eyes). I can grow so much but my fern just never look that healthy.  And pogo hates me very jealous.  I love your tank. Every time you respond to a post I always take a look at it in your signature 😍

• Like 1

@Guppysnail, Java fern does grow well in this tank but I still don't feel like I've unlocked it's secrets. I spend a lot of time trimming brown leaves to keep the plants looking good. I've also been surprised that some of the plants start going through what seems like a submerged growth conversion after being in the tank for many months. 

• Like 1

Oh dear on the leak, I can't think of a better place to discover it than in the shower!

Your tank is gorgeous, and I just had my Repens melt back and *die* after doing so great for so long. Plants believe in helping remind us to stay humble?

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:55 PM, Torrey said:

Your tank is gorgeous, and I just had my Repens melt back and *die* after doing so great for so long. Plants believe in helping remind us to stay humble?

My Ludwig in another tank is doing the same thing. It grew like a weed for a year but now it’s slowly fading away. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve noticed one of the things I love about your tank is the job you did using texture. It’s really interesting how the different textures flow and complement each other. Also all your plants are long pointed leaves none are rounded none (maybe except the lotus) are large flat wide leaves. 
I assume both of these are on purpose? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2022 at 7:53 PM, Jeff said:

Is this some sort of sump system? If so, can you tell us how you set it up, and what the cord is that goes from that to your DT?

image.png.308443ba43eb38c09d3b9eb8334b3912.png

Just noticed this reply! The little 10 gal is my guppy grow out tank. The cord is from one of the filters on the 75gal. 

On 3/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, Atitagain said:

I’ve noticed one of the things I love about your tank is the job you did using texture. It’s really interesting how the different textures flow and complement each other. Also all your plants are long pointed leaves none are rounded none (maybe except the lotus) are large flat wide leaves. 
I assume both of these are on purpose? 

I’d actually like to add a few more plants with rounded leaves. There are a few anubias and the lotuses, but they get lost among all the long skinny leaves. 

• Like 1