Utility Tanks

Streetwise

I keep a number of small tanks, but my utility tanks and buckets really help me balance my hobby. These three 3.5 tanks are always cycled, and can host plants or fish:

77D8F435-175C-4C72-AD00-86CBEE32DE5D.jpeg.1ec79a4ed58dffbb6f5d15b9b5c35dad.jpeg

One is a previous organic soil Betta tank. The next is just mulm, filter, and light. The third adds plants and wood.

8DA3C33B-D465-43D6-8A91-BDE278C1B448.jpeg.02cfa67d8755e2426252b4e722d887a1.jpeg

This bucket setup includes an off-gas bucket, a plant/wood staging bucket, a last-chance bucket, and with a fine sponge pump, a garden bucket. The tiny pail is for my cat.

• Like 7

I love this idea. Every time I try to set up a plant grow out or just have an extra ready to go tank it ends up with fish…I do not have your self control 😁. Now the bucket idea I may just be able to do without adding fish. Does enough light reach the bottom for plants to thrive or just survive? 

• Like 1

@Guppysnail, I can keep plants happy, especially in the cubes.

Your last question is the most important. I still have to remove Duckweed, which is useful, but blocks light. I wish that I could improve this system to not have Duckweed and shrimp fry both end up in the last-chance bucket from skimming my other tanks.

• Like 1

@Streetwise it’s a beautiful set up you have there! I love that you specified “the tiny pail is for my cat.” It is their kingdom they allow us to live in, after all  😂

@Guppysnail  I started a plant bucket. I have it under a (south facing) window with no additional lighting and the elodea is managing beautifully. However, I can relate to you. It invariably became a snail bucket with plants 🙈 I too lack self control…

I took said snail bucket to my LFS (the ramshorns are endless, it’s what I get for feeding them). Wherever they put said snails… the bucket was returned to me with duckweed all over the side. A sensible person would have hosed it right off into his or her lawn.

I now have a snail/duckweed/plant bucket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• 5 months later...

@Scott Stevenson, if your water is treated with chlorine, you can let it sit for about 24-48 hours, or you can use an air stone or sponge filter to speed up the process. You could test for chlorine to figure out the timing for your water.

Chlorine has been undetectable in my water, so I just let water sit to equalize temperature now.

• Like 1

I know that this thread is about utility tanks in general, but what are folks opinion on dealing with Chloramine. I saw another thread where the gentleman believed he was able to off gas chloramine, but most did not think that it was doable. how do you all deal with chloramine?

Do you all just go the Prime/safe route? can chloramine be broken down?

Edited by Scott Stevenson

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2021 at 7:09 PM, Streetwise said:

I keep a number of small tanks, but my utility tanks and buckets really help me balance my hobby. These three 3.5 tanks are always cycled, and can host plants or fish:

77D8F435-175C-4C72-AD00-86CBEE32DE5D.jpeg.1ec79a4ed58dffbb6f5d15b9b5c35dad.jpeg

One is a previous organic soil Betta tank. The next is just mulm, filter, and light. The third adds plants and wood.

8DA3C33B-D465-43D6-8A91-BDE278C1B448.jpeg.02cfa67d8755e2426252b4e722d887a1.jpeg

This bucket setup includes an off-gas bucket, a plant/wood staging bucket, a last-chance bucket, and with a fine sponge pump, a garden bucket. The tiny pail is for my cat.

@Streetwisewhat an awesome system! I love those little lights - would you be willing to share their details? I like that they can clip onto the side of the buckets.

• Like 1