Cover for tank: open, glass or other

Dan Hudock

I have a 40 gallon breeder, fully planted with a sponge filter.  I'm getting tired of the stains on the glass top from the filter.  Does anyone use a different type of cover or does anyone just leave it open?  I can have the level of water low enough that fish won't jump, but do have to worry about the cat...LOL.  I was thinking maybe a plastic grate cover?

I have a plastic cover on my tank. works great, very light and easy to clean when it gets dirty. The top side never gets dirty, but sometimes there is a layer of dust. I got the cover as a part of the set, I could upload a picture is you want.  

In case you want to keep your glass cover I have seen people poke a hole in the center of a plastic lid and pass the airline tubing through it. The lid at the water's surface keeps the bubbles from the sponge filter from splashing on the lid. Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

• Like 1

I switched to the plastic grate for one tank several months ago. I should have done it sooner.  It is easily worked with simple tools, and allows you to feed and top off the tank without removing the cover.  The cat will like it too.

• Like 1