Ok so was hoping I could hear other people's views and experiences again. Specifically with seachem flourish excel (Aquarium Co-op has their version, easy carbon? Can't get it in the UK yet though).

So I've been reading about Seachem Excel and was considering giving it a go to help inhibit algae (then after hopefully keeping it in check with algae eaters) and give plants a boost to get them well established (not necessarily long term use, I don't want literally zero algae). I know there are opposing opinions on if the product works, if it works how it they say it does, is it safe and is it even what they claim it is (or more specifically, what they claim it isn't) etc. 

Despite that, it's obviously a good selling product and lots of people swear by it and claim they saw immediate results etc so however it does works it seems worth trying at least. Lots of reports of good results with algae and plant growth even when under dosing and not spot treating.

My first concern however is safety, is it safe for my community fish and shrimp and snails? (Specifically neon tetras, endlers, corydoras, otocinclus, honey gouramis, cherry shrimp and nerite snails). They claim it is if you follow the dosing instructions but was hoping to hear people's experiences. 

Secondly, if it inhibits algae and at higher doses is a disinfectant even - does this mean it would theoretically kill/inhibit bacteria and other microorganisms as well? Obviously it isn't killing off people's nitrifying bacteria or everyone would be reporting crashed cycles, but what about the other good bacteria etc that makes the tasty biofilm for the tanks inhabitants to eat? 

Anyway thanks for reading if you got this far, hopefully can hear a few people's experiences and knowledge and get a discussion going 🙂

I think it is well established that it deals with (some) algae. In high enough concentration, it'll probably deal with anything. It (glutaraldehyde) may affect bacteria, plants and animals.

At the same time, very often low concentrations of toxic substances are safe, not only safer but actually safe. Often even valuable.  Also, glutaraldehyde doesn't linger and accumulate. 

Possibly there exists a sweet spot where it significantly suppresses algae but negligibly affect other life adversely. I think it's nice to see that you hesitate, but I am not sure you'll find a hard and fast answer that is also correct...

Aside from just trying to be on the safe side as Tankseeker mentions, suppressing things with easy fixes tend to complicate things instead. Yet, sometimes it makes sense.

🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 1:23 PM, darkG said:

I think it is well established that it deals with (some) algae. In high enough concentration, it'll probably deal with anything. It (glutaraldehyde) may affect bacteria, plants and animals.

At the same time, very often low concentrations of toxic substances are safe, not only safer but actually safe. Often even valuable.  Also, glutaraldehyde doesn't linger and accumulate. 

Possibly there exists a sweet spot where it significantly suppresses algae but negligibly affect other life adversely. I think it's nice to see that you hesitate, but I am not sure you'll find a hard and fast answer that is also correct...

Aside from just trying to be on the safe side as Tankseeker mentions, suppressing things with easy fixes tend to complicate things instead. Yet, sometimes it makes sense.

🤪

Thanks! Long term I was thinking I only want to use it to get things started, clear the algae and help the plants get well established then hopefully keep on top of it with algae eaters and lots of plants etc and won't need it again (i.e. like you say, I don't want to complicate things! I want a low tech set up). Basically a head start rather than easy fix as I'm struggling to balance the aquarium to get it under control (and it seems to be damaging some of the plants). 

I considered the same thing with actual c02 but it seems I need to either keep it up or not start at all. 

However I don't want to harm my live stock or ecosystem in general so wondered if anyone here had any success stories/bad experiences with it. 

On 8/19/2021 at 4:29 PM, Patrick_G said:

I use it pretty much as you are describing. At least once I’ve done the recommended initial dose and then the occasional dose at the recommended daily level. I’ve also put a diluted dose in a syringe and spot treated stubborn bba. 

Perfect so it's not a completely daft idea then! Thanks for your reply, did you have anything that's considered a bit 'sensitive' like shrimp or otocinclus etc when you did it? 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:06 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Perfect so it's not a completely daft idea then! Thanks for your reply, did you have anything that's considered a bit 'sensitive' like shrimp or otocinclus etc when you did it? 

Otocinclus, Amanos and Neocaridina seem to do fine. 

• Thanks 1