Quarantine Tank - Substrate???

Janelle

Do you run substrate in your quarantine tank?  Why or why not?  

I’ve been running a bare bottom w/ sponge filter because I like to scrub it out well when I’m done.
But, I also like the idea of having some substrate to keep the tanks cycle more predictable.

Bare bottom because it isn't there to look nice but to serve a purpose.  I also change water like crazy in that tank because I have to medicate so often it is pointless to run filtration.   The tank just has an air stone for oxygenation and a heater.   

• Thanks 1

Bare bottom with the exception of new Pygmy cory. I found the first group to be stressed in bare bottom so second group I used substrate from what will be their permanent home. They are seemingly less stressed and recovered from shipping seemingly quicker although second group was overnight so not a fair comparison.  I must say I am very uncomfortable not seeing what may be on the bottom with new arrivals 

The manager at my LFS, said he didn't like bare bottoms ,even in QT tanks, because he's seen fish be stressed out by them. Fish don't understand the reflections they're seeing on the bottom of the tank after all.

Since his advice of a minimal substrate to break up the mirror effect runs counter to the advice I see on here I decided to split the difference and line the bottom of my QT tank with Indian almond leaves. 

I only made this change a few days ago, and have no idea if I'll keep it, but in the short term I'm happy with it.

• Like 2