Honey gourami numbers/group makeup

Solstice_Lacer

I've read honey gourami often do best in groups of at least 4. If this is the case, would I be better off with 2 males and 2 females, or 1 male and 3 females? 

Should they be added all at once, or should I start with a pair and then add later.

And would 4 be reasonable in a planted 25 gallon with ample filtration, with 8-10 pygmy cory and 2 mystery snails?

They would be the last fish added after first the snails, then the corydoras.

• Love 1

It's preferred to have a harem setup for honey gouramis (1 male to 3 females), but it shouldn't be the end of the world if you end up with an even split. Your stocking plan for a planted 25 gallon sounds great to me, and I think it'll end up as a very lovely, peaceful tank.

Just a heads up, my honeys do sometimes peck at the mystery snails' long antennae, so they might end up keeping those majestic appendages tucked up into their shell.

Edited by laritheloud
edited to say FEMALES lol
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 2:06 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

Hmm..I wouldn't want any poor snaily to get nipped.

Maybe instead of the corydoras and snails I could do a lemon bristle nose pleco...

Tank of gold

Can't go wrong either way. The snails aren't all that bothered, they just don't extend their antennae as far as they would if there were no gouramis around.

• Thanks 1