Baby brine shrimp eggs sinking??

Mahi27

Hi, I've had a can of the co-op brine shrimp eggs for about 6 months, kept at room temperature and sealed. I watched the video and got good hatches in the beginning, was super fun and educational for me and the kids alike. Got busy and didn't hatch any bbs for a couple months, now regardless of temperature or salinity I'm getting garbage hatch rates and a ton of eggs are sinking to the bottom of the Ziss hatchery, making harvesting and feeding out the bbs very messy. 

Are the sinking eggs the unhatched ones? What can explain my bad hatch rates -- is 6 months at room temp enough for the eggs to spoil/expire? Any help or thoughts will be much appreciated...this is very annoying. Lol. See pic 

20210817_080743.jpg

Thank you for your reply. That photo is just now, about 48 hours into hatch in high 70s temp. That's the other thing, I know high 70s is suboptimal, but even in low 80s (when it's been hotter in the house), they are taking forever to hatch. 

From what I have been told over the years by old timers in the hobby, heat, air and humidity are the enemy of brine shrimp eggs. They have to be kept cool and dry for them to stay viable. I keep mine in the freezer and just keep a small amount in my fridge that I use from when I hatch and when that gets low I take the ones from freezer to add to the one in fridge. I would say that the time spent at room temperature has probably affected them enough to affect the hatch rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1