10 gallon aquarium rack

Jimmy

I have a pretty active fish room build going right now but I figured I’d ask in the general discussion.

space is limited for me. I have a wall that’s just over 7 feet that I need to build a 3 tier rack for 21 ten gallons. How do I go about building it if I want to not put center support as to not obstruct the view of the aquariums?  If I did dado cuts and possibly 2x6 rails would that be sufficient? 

Each tier would only be 70 gallons or about 600 pounds.

I saw an example recently of a rack where the center support was a GIANT bolt on the front and back anchored to the stand but I can’t seem to find it.

picture is a partial mud and tape job, I ran out of material!

AED1F2B2-D9BD-4C8F-9DBC-D016AA3936EC.jpeg

On 8/18/2021 at 6:27 AM, lefty o said:

i dont have a link handy, but if you can find the youtube vid of building out the aquarium co-op store. simple tank racks out of 2x4's, and you would just have to scale it to meet your needs.

That’s a pretty good rack but I don’t believe it works for butting 10 gallons to each other. I really want to find the video i saw of a large bolt and nut as center brace but I can’t remember the channel or video 

I was going to build a wooden rack system but for the cost that wood has ballooned to I was able to buy an industrial shelf that would fit your space perfectly for almost the same cost as buying wood and having to design and build it.  My rack is 77" long x 24 inches deep x 72" high.  I currently have 15 20 gallon high tanks on it as well as three 5 1/2 gallon tanks so 18 total.  There is no doubt you can put 21 10 gallon tanks on it. Just a thought sir.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 7:25 AM, ARMYVET said:

I was going to build a wooden rack system but for the cost that wood has ballooned to I was able to buy an industrial shelf that would fit your space perfectly for almost the same cost as buying wood and having to design and build it.  My rack is 77" long x 24 inches deep x 72" high.  I currently have 15 20 gallon high tanks on it as well as three 5 1/2 gallon tanks so 18 total.  There is no doubt you can put 21 10 gallon tanks on it. Just a thought sir.

Thanks for the feedback, as always. Wood has dropped substantially where I live. I’d prefer to have 3 matching stands. The space is so small and for 10s I’d need a 24 inch deep stand which sticks out nearly 3 more inches. I don’t have the room cause the heater is perpendicular to that rack. I’m literally down to inches lol.

• Like 1

If you can spare the extra height they would add, I would use 2x6 as the long rails. I know when I design and build racks I plan on minimum 8" but prefer 9" or more between the top of a tank and the rail supporting the tanks above. Using a 2x6 over a 2x4 would take up an extra 2" per level, so if you are pinched for height as well it may not work. 

On 8/18/2021 at 11:14 AM, Jimmy said:

Thanks for the feedback, as always. Wood has dropped substantially where I live. I’d prefer to have 3 matching stands. The space is so small and for 10s I’d need a 24 inch deep stand which sticks out nearly 3 more inches. I don’t have the room cause the heater is perpendicular to that rack. I’m literally down to inches lol.

Oh believe me I completely understand.  Having the 24 inch dept allowed me to have a wider range of tank sizes avail to be used. Example...I currently have 15 20 gallon tanks on the rack 5 per shelf.  well Im going to redo the bottom shelf to have 2 40 gallon breeder grow out tanks. The 40 gallon breeders are 36" long so 2 will fit perfectly on the bottom rack.  I hadnt thought of that in the initial design but because I planned for the bigger rack I can just convert easily. 

You know your space and what your working with so you are the best judge.  I am glad wood has come down for you...It sure hasnt here for me.  

Keep is posted and as always ....we are here to help if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 8:33 AM, ARMYVET said:

Oh believe me I completely understand.  Having the 24 inch dept allowed me to have a wider range of tank sizes avail to be used. Example...I currently have 15 20 gallon tanks on the rack 5 per shelf.  well Im going to redo the bottom shelf to have 2 40 gallon breeder grow out tanks. The 40 gallon breeders are 36" long so 2 will fit perfectly on the bottom rack.  I hadnt thought of that in the initial design but because I planned for the bigger rack I can just convert easily. 

You know your space and what your working with so you are the best judge.  I am glad wood has come down for you...It sure hasnt here for me.  

Keep is posted and as always ....we are here to help if needed.

Great! I have to go back to work Monday not likely I will have the room wet by Sunday but I’m on track. My coop order is coming this afternoon helps living a county below them

• Like 2