One in a million chance I guess

Johnny B. Goode

Pretty amazing; yoyo loaches almost never breed without assistance of hormon in captive environment. How large are the adults and how long have you had them. Most yoyo i've seen for sale are more than a year from adulthood and your tank doesn't sound that old. Adults can grow over 6 inches but I would think they have to be more than 4.5-5.0 inches before they start breeding. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:35 AM, anewbie said:

Pretty amazing; yoyo loaches almost never breed without assistance of hormon in captive environment. How large are the adults and how long have you had them. Most yoyo i've seen for sale are more than a year from adulthood and your tank doesn't sound that old. Adults can grow over 6 inches but I would think they have to be more than 4.5-5.0 inches before they start breeding. 

They are about 4 to 4.5 inches with the exception of 2 that are around the 5 to 5.5 mark. The 2 larger ones were returns to the store because the people thought they were too aggressive. I've never seen them be aggressive though.

Edit: sorry I missed the part about the age of the tank. This tank has been running for roughly 6 months in its current state. No changes other than water have been made since the addition of the loaches.

Edited by Johnny B. Goode
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 7:20 AM, Johnny B. Goode said:

They are about 4 to 4.5 inches with the exception of 2 that are around the 5 to 5.5 mark. The 2 larger ones were returns to the store because the people thought they were too aggressive. I've never seen them be aggressive though.

Edit: sorry I missed the part about the age of the tank. This tank has been running for roughly 6 months in its current state. No changes other than water have been made since the addition of the loaches.

Well if you've had the fishes for 6 months then one has to believe they bred in the tank which is really quite incredible. If you are lucky you will get more. Not sure if you need to give them bbs or whatever to feed them. Please keep us updated as this is rather interesting. Off hand do you know your water condition (ph/kh/gh) ? Just curious. Still now i'm wondering if those colour stones are radioactive and that is why they bred 😉

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 3:39 PM, anewbie said:

Well if you've had the fishes for 6 months then one has to believe they bred in the tank which is really quite incredible. If you are lucky you will get more. Not sure if you need to give them bbs or whatever to feed them. Please keep us updated as this is rather interesting. Off hand do you know your water condition (ph/kh/gh) ? Just curious. Still now i'm wondering if those colour stones are radioactive and that is why they bred 😉

Unfortunately I do not know those parameters. I really was not even attempting to breed them. I was just doing my best to keep them happy and healthy. I really believe this has to be a one off fluke situation. I'm not sure why they did or why only one baby popped up. Maybe there was a bunch of eggs but I never noticed them. They do have a lot of caves to hide in though.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 1:25 AM, Hobbit said:

I’m in shock!! That’s amazing!!!

Have you seen any breeding behavior from them? I don’t even know what breeding behavior is supposed to look like but maybe you do! 😀

Not anything I haven't seen loaches do normally. Chasing each other and being goofballs. All of them trying to get in the same cave because they are crazy and leave the other 10 caves in the tank alone. I really think this was just a one off thing. I didn't try to breed them. I just hit the fish breeding lottery I guess lol.

Edited by Johnny B. Goode
  • Like 1