API "Algaefix"

Tetra Guy

So I saw a FB post from a fella who used API Algaefix in his planted tank, and said it did wonders without killing the plants.  It being FB, naturally some controversey ensued and the post dropped off the map before I could form an informed opinion.  

Meanwhile, curiosity got the better of me and I tried it in a planted nursery tank.  By golly, two doses later, all the hair algae is gone!  No noticeable side-effects on fish or plants.  Most of the green dust algae is still present, which I actually like.  

So what has your experience been?   And is there any reason not to use it for occasional hair algae suppression?  Other than algae, is it detremental to any plant or animal species?  

I'm especially concerned about my valisnaria, as I accidentally killed off a bunch with a hydrogen peroxide treatment earlier this year.    And I don't want to accidentally harm my fish.   

TIA!

Edited by Tetra Guy

I haven't used it because they say it's not safe for shrimp. From what I can gather about the active ingredient, it's a pretty potent tool to knock out algae and microbes. My concern would be wiping out that much algae at once could disrupt water quality since you'd lose any benefit the algae was providing. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

update— about 2 weeks and 2x 20% water changes later,  I had a major ammonia spike and a whole lot of plant melt. Lost a few fry, too. Seems Pete was right on. It appears the stuff continued to effect the water after it had accomplished its intended task.  I will experiment with this stuff again but smaller dose, and more water changes. 

• Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Tetra Guy said:

update— about 2 weeks and 2x 20% water changes later,  I had a major ammonia spike and a whole lot of plant melt. Lost a few fry, too. Seems Pete was right on. It appears the stuff continued to effect the water after it had accomplished its intended task.  I will experiment with this stuff again but smaller dose, and more water changes. 

Indeed, Algaefix is an interesting chemical in that it can do different things in different situations. I prefer fixing things without using chemical additives (not including fertilizers or dechlorinators)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good luck with AlgaeFix, but specifically for some long, soft, string-like algae I had. No side-effects to other plants or fish in a heavily planted tank, but it did take out some amanos. I've used it multiple times with the same results. Somehow along the way I fixed the underlying problem so no more algae of that type. I also tried it against BBA and staghorn algae, but it didn't do anything.