Dead nerite: old age or something else?

CT_

My nerite snail died after about 6 months.  I'm trying to figure out if it was old age or something else.  he was clinging to the bottom of an anubias leaf with his foot wrapped around the edge one day and the next he was on the substrate below foot up.  I gave him a day to "wake up" and then pulled him.  He's been in a cup of tank water due to my wishful thinking but now I'm pretty sure he's dead.  Is there any way to tell if he died of old age or other causes?  his shell is in perfect condition and my parameters are all what they always have been.  I started CO2 a couple weeks ago, but my drop checker is blue with 2kh water in it so the CO2 should be fairly low and my fish are acting 100% normal.  nitrates are 25--50, so not terrible.  my shrimp seem fine too.

In my experience Nerites can live anywhere from 1-2 years in most cases, although I've read claims of anywhere from 3-5 years, but those are few and far between. It mostly depends on what type of conditions they were kept in before you got them as well, and how long they spent at the dealer's tank.  I would assume if your other snails are doing fine, and the shrimp are doing fine it was death of natural causes and old age.

I'm sorry you lost the Nerite but I hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 7:21 PM, Jungle Fan said:

In my experience Nerites can live anywhere from 1-2 years in most cases, although I've read claims of anywhere from 3-5 years, but those are few and far between. It mostly depends on what type of conditions they were kept in before you got them as well, and how long they spent at the dealer's tank.  I would assume if your other snails are doing fine, and the shrimp are doing fine it was death of natural causes and old age.

I'm sorry you lost the Nerite but I hope this helps.

I have an olive nerite I've owned for a bit over 2 years now that was an adult when purchased so it must be going on 33 to 36 months in total age....

• Like 1