what state do you live in?

On 8/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, Streetwise said:

Very interesting @ArchwayAquatics! What sports were notable that year? I won't Google it, since it is fun to share local information.

Boxing and a torturous marathon both made headlines quite a bit thanks to numerous scandals. It was the first Olympics to use the gold/silver/bronze medal system. I think it ranked the longest 'summer' Olympics running from July to November, too. 

• Haha 2

On 8/18/2021 at 8:01 PM, ArchwayAquatics said:

Boxing and a torturous marathon both made headlines quite a bit thanks to numerous scandals. It was the first Olympics to use the gold/silver/bronze medal system. I think it ranked the longest 'summer' Olympics running from July to November, too. 

Torturous marathon!?!

On 8/18/2021 at 11:11 PM, murphy lover 101 said:

Torturous marathon!?!

I had to look it up since all I could remember from childhood were stories of a guy taking a taxi for part of the race and some racers being chased by a pack of wild dogs (for real...). It was a little over 24 mile course, started at 3pm with a temp of 90 F. There were only two water stations for the entire length of the course. In addition to the heat it was dry, and much of the course was on dirt roads. Pace vehicles kicked up enough dust that some runners dropped out with breathing problems. 

The more I read about it and other events the more it sounds like it was an 'ish show of an Olympics 😂

• Confused 1

I’m a fellow Mountaineer as well. What part of the mountain state are you in? I’m in Fayetteville. Unlike someone above I absolutely love it here and can’t imagine living anywhere else. Anyone that complains about it here must not enjoy being outside and and admiring the most beautiful state in the nation. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...