Is this algae? If so, what needs to be done?

Shirl

Hi folks,

This white stuff has been forming on the manzanita log. Anyone know what it is?

Im a bit concerned. I've lost two otocilclus catfish in a week. 

I just did a water change, and now there are bits of this floating in the water.

Did a parameter check, and everything is good according to the aquarium co-op test strips, including the separate ammonia one.

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20210815_230109013.jpg

PXL_20210815_230117325.jpg

PXL_20210815_230137191.jpg

On 8/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, lefty o said:

has the tank been set up long?

Two and a half months. All sorts of things have grown on it, and been eaten off by my clean up crew, but this is new. It started about two weeks ago. At that point, I had three amano shrimp, two otocilclus catfish, a snail, and my Betta. 

Friday before last, I saw one of my huge shrimp eating a dead oto. The shrimp were also shredding my plants! I fished out the dead oto, caught all the shrimp, and went to my LFS, where they rehomed the shrimp, and sold me three new otos.

Here we are a week later, the plants are recovering, but I found another oto dead. 😕

I don't know what, if anything, I am doing wrong. There is plenty for them to eat, and the water parameters are good. It all got squirrelly when the white stuff showed up, and that could be coincidence, but I figured I'd better ask the community.

Edited by Shirl

On 8/15/2021 at 7:47 PM, Streetwise said:

For white stuff on wood, we often use the term, 'biofilm'. This can mean many things, including algae, bacteria, fungi, decomposition, or other forms of slow biology. Many of our favorite inhabitants love biofilm.

So you don't think it's offing my otocilclus?