55 Gallon Gourami Community Tank

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the compliments, everyone. I'm reading every one of them and holding them close to my heart. It's really encouraging that others are enjoying my hobby, too. I sometimes have trouble taking compliments gracefully because of my lifelong clinical anxiety, but I appreciate all of you as friends and fellow nerms. 🙂

Mild update: My synodontis lucipinnis are doing really well in quarantine, still quite young. They're going to stay for at least another week or two while I shop around for a pleco. 

Meanwhile, In my 29 gallon, my honey gourami ladies (?) are doing this. Mute the videos, there's a lot of noise from my family in the background.

https://streamable.com/tb3iz5
https://streamable.com/l728jj 

They dance like this every few days. Neither of these fish bubble nest. My gold honey male does, but to no avail. He hasn't danced with either of them yet!

Honey Gouramis continue to amuse and mystify me. 😆

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile, but here's a quick update: My Aponogeton appears to have gone dormant and I'm not sure what to do about it. I got a baby super red bushynose pleco today, and he's been dropped into my 20 gallon quarantine. Very little, very cute. 🙂 My remaining fish are all healthy and plump! The synodontis petricola have reached at least 2 inches now, two of them are about 3 inches long!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

https://streamable.com/ou95ny These guys are so wonderful! I might get one more to bump up the group to 4 and top it all off with a young EBA. They are acting very healthy, eating well, and settling nicely. Seeing no problems between them and the extra female thicklip gourami I picked up (her name is Miss Butternut), who will help add some more femininity to my accidentally male-dominated group!

• Love 3

I did not @Patrick_G! My LFS carries Anomalochromis Thomasi! I actually walked through my thoughts about my tank with one of the staff and we narrowed it down to the African Butterfly Cichlids, Rainbow Cichlids, and EBAs. I still might add just one EBA or a Rainbow cichlid, but I really enjoy these little guys so far. Small and mild, but not shy.

• Like 1

I’m glad you got an actual butterfly not a 5 star general labeled a butterfly. Can’t wait for all their spangles to set in, beautiful fish. I love all the atypical African cichlids! I think an EBA would be fine. No rush though.My EBA is a mid to lower level swimmer in my tank with the gourami patrolling the top and middle and the butterflies at the bottom should work. 

• Love 1

Woke up to find one of my butterfly cichlids was a jumper. I have no idea what happened, because we have a glass top over most of the tank and he was on the front side rug when I found him. He somehow jumped out the back and flopped to the front.

I feel bad for the little guy, but the rest are fine and we're now closing up the gaps in the top to prevent it from happening again. I'll be getting a second pair once these guys are out of quarantine to add to the group.

• Sad 5

RIGHT? I thought I stepped on a cat poo or something (not unheard of, sometimes cats accidentally drag it around) and instead... The location was just a shocker to me. How the heck did he jump out the slim gap in the back then make it around to the front?

I'm definitely bummed out but we covered the gaps that were left in the top and hopefully it won't happen again. We still have a pair and I love them, hoping to keep them and get a second pair to round out the group.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

An update in video form!

https://streamable.com/b093oy This is my 55 gallon with barbs, pleco, and butterfly cichlids added. 5 thicklip gouramis, 9 black ruby barbs, 2 butterfly cichlids, 1 bristlenose pleco (sex TBD, looks female for now but IDK when bristles show up), 4 synodontis lucipinnis, a bunch of snails, and only 1 pseudomugil still left

https://streamable.com/vv5fwg and here is my little EBA in quarantine!

And a pleco close-up for any sexing experts. Thinking female unless this surprises me with enormous bristles later on. (S)he does flare their cheek bristles at the barbs OFTEN to chase them away from green beans and zucchini!

spacer.png

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Your little EBA is precious.  The tank is looking very peaceful.  Not definitive by any means but my mom never flares side whiskers that I have seen. Dad and his sons Angel and Honeysuckle do.  Lefty and Tulip are still indeterminate sexes but I have seen no flaring. Tulip suspected girl Lefty a mystery one day I think girl the next definite boys and back and forth it goes. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2022 at 6:29 AM, Guppysnail said:

Your little EBA is precious.  The tank is looking very peaceful.  Not definitive by any means but my mom never flares side whiskers that I have seen. Dad and his sons Angel and Honeysuckle do.  Lefty and Tulip are still indeterminate sexes but I have seen no flaring. Tulip suspected girl Lefty a mystery one day I think girl the next definite boys and back and forth it goes. 

I keep going back and forth on whether they're a male or female, but I suppose time will tell. The side-whiskers are very impressive when they flare! And I'm super pleased with how peaceful it is, I was surprised that the cichlids were completely chilled out and hung out together immediately when I moved them to the 55 gallon. They were kind of the 'bosses' of the 20 during quarantine and pushed the small thicklip around, but now that they're in the community it's totally fine!

On 4/8/2022 at 12:39 AM, Hobbit said:

I just love that scape! It’s such a happy looking tank.

It makes me SO happy. Thank you so much!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I think it's about time I updated this journal. My EBA is growing like a weed! He's the undisputed tank boss, now named Henry courtesy of my 4 year old daughter. I think he's a he. If @Fish Folk knows anything about sexing EBAs that I don't, feel free to take a look at my fella and see what you think. He's currently about... 3 to 4 inches? We grew him from about 1.5 inches.

Also, if anyone has any tips for keeping catfish pellets from ending up in Henry's mouth, I'd love to hear them. 🤣 Feeding the synodontis lucipinnis is always an adventure with him scouting out whatever's fallen to the bottom.

My Bristlenose Pleco ('Lava,' thank you, 7 year old son! 😉 ) is definitely a female. She grew a nice plump belly and I can see where she stores her eggs when she's against the glass. Adorable little girl who's claimed a specific knot of wood as her 'area.'

My thicklip gouramis are doing great! I even catch Henry resting / chilling out with them at night.

The barbs are magnificent. Peaceful, goofy, and active, I highly recommend Black Ruby Barbs for anyone looking for a peaceful barb that isn't nippy. All the fun of barbs, none of the annoying pack of high school jocks behavior. Also: they look BEAUTIFUL with the stark contrast of black-and-red males against the females.

My pair of african butterfly cichlids are really sweet. I don't know if they're a male/female pair; I haven't seen any breeding activity so I suspect not. But they sure are pretty and like to hang out together.

This has really become my favorite tank to enjoy. Peaceful, active, *interactive*, and a joy to keep.
spacer.png
spacer.png

Edited by laritheloud
  • Love 5

Sad news. My bristlenose girl was on the floor this morning. We have a lid on the tank and I have no idea what happened. 😞 I hate when accidents like this happen... there was nothing wrong with my sweet girl and she was normally a tank-bottom lurker. 

I don't have a free quarantine tank right now so I probably will wait awhile before looking for another pleco....

• Sad 3

So sorry about the Pleco. 

You’ve really managed to put together a relaxing tank. Everyone is just swimming around minding their own business, and looking beautiful. The Barbs are great addition. The sexual dimorphism means you get two fish in one. 

• Thanks 1