55 Gallon Gourami Community Tank

@Patrick_GAponogetons are a favorite I rescued my friends ulvaceus and it’s gorgeous 36 bow front and it has the whole back corner. 
I have my Madagascar lace plant as the focal point of this iteration of The Sad Bowl which I stole from a video Rachel O’Leary posted of her friend in NYCs bowl. 0717A4A8-1F0A-4BAF-92D2-2D47DE86F890.jpeg.f98a7865c87d780e003ab1e7e3a6e7b6.jpeg1EDB4EAD-F18A-4F96-AB39-48EC9F731227.jpeg.1fb7e0c8c31cc054f4b9969c5afb4244.jpeg

I find they respond really well to root tabs. If you trim too many leaves at once or let it go down by about 5 degrees for long enough it’ll hibernate - just won’t grow new growth until it feels the conditions are right and then bam 💥 it’s glorious. @laritheloudyours is on 🔥 great looking ulvaceus! 

• Like 2

I put only a handful of floaters into this tank...

spacer.png

On 9/20/2021 at 9:59 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Patrick_GAponogetons are a favorite I rescued my friends ulvaceus and it’s gorgeous 36 bow front and it has the whole back corner. 
I have my Madagascar lace plant as the focal point of this iteration of The Sad Bowl which I stole from a video Rachel O’Leary posted of her friend in NYCs bowl. 0717A4A8-1F0A-4BAF-92D2-2D47DE86F890.jpeg.f98a7865c87d780e003ab1e7e3a6e7b6.jpeg1EDB4EAD-F18A-4F96-AB39-48EC9F731227.jpeg.1fb7e0c8c31cc054f4b9969c5afb4244.jpeg

I find they respond really well to root tabs. If you trim too many leaves at once or let it go down by about 5 degrees for long enough it’ll hibernate - just won’t grow new growth until it feels the conditions are right and then bam 💥 it’s glorious. @laritheloudyours is on 🔥 great looking ulvaceus! 

THANK YOU. All of the original leaves melted away and what you see is all brand new growth. I love it so much, no regrets with buying it. Plants that grow explosively are my favorites.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few small updates, no pics today:

The rainbowfish have settled in. Some of them had a bit of 'white lip' going on, which I knew was exceptionally common in all rainbowfish species. I let them sit for about 10 days before I decided to run them through a course of Kanaplex in food. Rested them for another week, now I'm doing some mild parasite treatment just in case. All of them have colored up and regrown their store-nipped fins. Still a little bit of white lip but I'm not concerned about it, as they're all eating and none are getting worse. Likely it's from their frequent sparring. 🙂 I'm doing about 30 to 50% water changes weekly, but nitrates are basically undetectable even with fertilizer.

I removed one of the five wood pieces to make some more swimming space in the middle. Since I'm adjusting my plan to have thicklips as my gourami in the tank, I'm hoping to add in some peaceful community-oriented cichlids as my centerpiece. I've been busy researching what would work and feel more comfortable removing a little wood and adding a cave just in case.

My new quarantine tank is at the end of cycling so I should be able to round out a harem for my pushy thicklip gourami this week. They'll go through about 3 to 4 weeks of quarantine before I add them to the tank. Thinking I'll go for a pleco after the gouramis.

• Like 4

I'm completely obsessed with my group of thicklips. I knew I'd like them, but they're even better when they can socialize with their own kind. So adorable, so friendly, so fun to watch them swimming around together and doing cute little dances beside each other! Hopefully there will be no breeding activity in quarantine because I know a male guarding a nest in tight quarters is no good, but they look really healthy and if they keep looking healthy, I would feel okay transferring them in a few more weeks.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 12:45 AM, Hobbit said:

Oh man those thicklips look SOOOO cute and friendly! I don’t usually get fish envy but man, they are too stinkin cute!!!

That's why I fell in love with them! If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend you try them out. My husband plays with them daily, it's adorable and he's so delighted. Since you like honeys, these guys are familiar while being a bit more outgoing. They do a lot more 'kissy' fish faces at each other, which I'm guessing is both flirtiness and aggression depending on the context (it doesn't cause any damage, it just kinda lightly 'kisses' the flank near the caudal fin and the other fish don't look distressed by it). I'm just crossing my fingers that they don't try to nest in Quarantine before they're in the 55!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I made the executive (and anxiety-inducing) decision to move Lord Orange and Madame Maple (the male and the largest female thicklip) to the 55 gallon a little early along with Lady Marmalade. They've been through two rounds of parasite treatment and look healthy, and I think at this point the benefits outweigh the risks, because the 10 gallon quarantine wasn't big enough to prevent bullying of the smallest female. I currently have the smallest female thicklip (Miss Amber) by herself in the quarantine to give her some R&R because I noticed some minor bullying injuries on her (bump on her lip that's peeling, a few discolored scales from ramming). I don't anticipate this will be a problem when all four gouramis are together in the 55 gallon, because there's plenty of places to explore and hide when the ladies need to get away.

Little Miss Amber is acting just fine and looks much less stressed without other larger fish in close quarters, so I think I made the right decision for now. The other three larger thicklips are very active and adorable, so I'm hoping just a bit longer in isolation with Miss Amber will clear her for the big tank before long.

• Like 4

Gourami Party!!!

spacer.pngspacer.png

I cannot describe how thrilled I am with how these thicklips are getting along together. They're wonderful, underrated fish, and they're much more orange and shimmery in person than they are in photographs. Lady Marmalade has calmed down so much in the 55 gallon with Madame Maple, Miss Amber and Lord Orange! She used to get constipated a lot and have a hard time with pooping, but I haven't seen any issues at all now. I think living in the 29 gallon with a group of honeys and no one else of her species was stressing her out. She's so much more relaxed where she is.

(EDIT: I want to add that thicklipped gouramis are so personable that they are easy to hand-feed. If i just stick my hands into the surface of the water, they'll come up and try to peck at me. I love them so much.)

My honeys are also incredibly relaxed, and my male honey has colored fully up, come out of hiding and began constructing an epic bubble nest! 🥰 I can't wait to see where that goes!

Now for the next inhabitants of my quarantine tank. They'll be going into the 55 gallon in a month, when they grow a bit:

https://streamable.com/pjwpiq

https://streamable.com/3r9u30

These are my four brand new tiny juvenile Synodontis Lucipinnis! They're absolutely adorable, super active, and just glide and wiggle across the tank. They'll get to be about 3 to 4 inches large when full grown. I love them! I'm so fortunate my LFS got them in a little while ago and the batch looked so healthy!

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 6
  • Love 2