Good Food for Cory Fry?

anewbie

I pulled out about 25 sterbai eggs this morning. In the past I've only pulled 2 or 3 eggs and not made a big effort to raise them. With this many eggs i'd like to get these to adult. I'd like some food that wont' pollute the water too much as the only container I have for them is a 5 gallon pail. I have hirkai and omega-one first bite on hand as well as soilent green an rephashy igaloo on hand as well as general flake. I'll put in a very mature sponge with them which will have some micro organism. My game plan is if i can get them past 2 or 3 weeks i can put them in a 5 gallon tank or put them in a fry thingy in the 29 and once they get to 12 or so weeks i can put them in the 120. I had a few in the 29 that would make it for a while but eventually they would vanish (the tank has hongsloi which is a bit unfriendly for the frys).

I can hatch bbs if i need to; kind of hope i can skip - i don't have any micro warms or vinegar eels and don't really want to mess with dealing with them. Will the frys eat prepared foods or do they require live food and are they large enough to eat bbs ?

On 8/14/2021 at 2:33 PM, Taco Playz said:

Aquarium Coop easy fry food!

Don't have that available and not economical to buy it as a single item with the cost of shipping. Besides i have first bite foods and the real question is if these critters are going to require live food... Which begs the question have you raised cory frys and if so why not share your experience ?

Edited by anewbie

I have bred at least 1000 corydoras at this point. I have 5 aquariums with fry growing out.  Please refer to my above post on how I raise them. The first time I bred them, I did not use live food.  After the sponge sludge and first bites, I used crushed flake and frozen bbs. Live is not needed, but in my experience, the fry grow faster and I had fewer losses.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:40 PM, T. Payne said:

I have bred at least 1000 corydoras at this point. I have 5 aquariums with fry growing out.  Please refer to my above post on how I raise them. The first time I bred them, I did not use live food.  After the sponge sludge and first bites, I used crushed flake and frozen bbs. Live is not needed, but in my experience, the fry grow faster and I had fewer losses.

Ok. I'll give them some powder then quickly move on to bbs; i hope the sterbai are big enough to eat the bbs after 2 or 3 days. I think i'll keep them in a plastic speciman container the first 3 days - most of that time they will be on egg sack and then move them to a ziss container rather than pail; they won't get the sponge sludge - well i could squeeze a bit in their container but it will make bbs easier since the other fishes can eat the left over bbs that escape. My concern from raising angels is that i know the slightiest decay in their container can kill a lot of frys and if i can get them in the ziss container i won't have to worry so much about cleaning up uneaten food since it will float into the main tank. Hopefully i can get them large enough to avoid ember tetra after 2 weeks and then move them into the 5.

I have no need to condition the adults; they breed at least twice a month; I just never bothered to collect the eggs before the hongsloi ate them before. I managed to pick out 25 eggs off the glass without trying and 1/2 of them had already been eaten. Still I wonder if the baby would eat such a bloody mess. Do you freeze it or prepare it in some fashion to keep ?