KASA Smart Plug help!! None of them will work!

Anyone know how to trouble shoot the Kasa Plugs? Suddenly they will not work and I am getting a device may not be powered off or out of network range.. and I never had that issue before. I turn my power bars off to do water changes etc. all the time and they always worked.. now suddenly they won't. My WiFi is working so I am not sure what the issue is. I checked site.. and its clear as mud what I need to do to fix it.. 

Anyone know ??? 

You can power cycle them; then be patient they are slow to connect to wifi. Make sure wifi is turned on on your phone and (if concern) turn off mobile data. Also if i remember the kasa will only connect to older wifi technology - you can check the specs - make sure the type of wifi they require is turned on on your router. I think they don't work with the newer 5g. I think they require 2.4g.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Mine worked at first, now only programs one command, example turns on correctly but doesn't save the off command or vice versa.  I reset and reprogrammed but still will only do the 1st command/schedule setting.  For me off schedule works, on does not (android)

On 2/11/2024 at 7:24 PM, Rypa said:

Mine worked at first, now only programs one command, example turns on correctly but doesn't save the off command or vice versa.  I reset and reprogrammed but still will only do the 1st command/schedule setting.  For me off schedule works, on does not (android)

Do you use Alexa? I just connect the app and let her talk to their api. I've been using them for lightning for years now, even before restarting fishkeeping and I've never had a problem with switches or plugs and it's easy to setup routines to turn them on and off.  You can also turn them on and off by whim with a voice command. Better than fumbling with a power strip (which, btw, you can get kasa power strips with each outlet addressable.)

Thank you for the responses.  Since they come in a two pack,  I'll try setting up the other one.  It's likely to be a fluke, it happens.  It won't stop me from getting more.  It was great while it lasted.  It also may be my fault.  When I downloaded the app, it wanted to update but the update failed, hopelessly locking up my phone.  Googling has shown that it may be a problem with the Android phones.  I uninstalled the app completely and downloaded it again.  This time it did not ask to update.  When I first installed the plug, it did work, turning on in the morning and off at night.   We call our area the "Newaukum triangle", (where I live near Enumclaw) as electronics and tractors frequently fail, lol.  Anyway, thank you for the input.   I love aquariumcoop and all the products,  Wendy

I use a ton of these for both work and home, and I’ve definitely had a couple of them just stop working. One of them in one of our restaurants is currently offline (I’m hoping it just needs a firmware update; we’ll see) and another one at home says it’s offline, but still works. It’s just off by 5-10 minutes from the ones that are online and obviously I can’t turn it off or on from the app. I’ve updated and completely reset this one multiple times and at this point I just leave it as is as I don’t need it to be perfect. 

Overall, still a really great product and I will continue to use them. Just wanted to chime in that I’ve definitely had to replace a couple of them from the 15 or so total that I use for personal and professional use. 

• Like 1

I've had a recurring issue (with a very different brand), that might or might not be similar. I found through RTE (research, and trial and error) that the plug was connecting to the 5g version/channel of my router, not the 2.4g. They don't work when they do this. How and why it made this switch, after successfully being installed and programmed in the first place, I don't know. To fix this I had to go into my router settings on my computer, turn off the 5g feature, reboot the modem, then reconnect the plug. Then turn the 5g back on. Rebooting the modem without disabling 5g didn't help. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:19 AM, TOtrees said:

I've had a recurring issue (with a very different brand), that might or might not be similar. I found through RTE (research, and trial and error) that the plug was connecting to the 5g version/channel of my router, not the 2.4g. They don't work when they do this. How and why it made this switch, after successfully being installed and programmed in the first place, I don't know. To fix this I had to go into my router settings on my computer, turn off the 5g feature, reboot the modem, then reconnect the plug. Then turn the 5g back on. Rebooting the modem without disabling 5g didn't help. 

Kasa are only 2.4ghz.