use city water before chlorine treatment???

hopeful1

You can gas out chlorine before putting it in the tank or add water conditioner to the water as your putting it in the tank (during the water change) but ultimately I’d just use a conditioner if your in city water like myself. I have high chloramines and their is pretty much no way around that, I heard I can boil the water for ten minutes to break it down but then I need to wait for it to cool and it’s just easier to use prime lol. 

also city water will add a lot of stuff after storms or during heatwaves to keep the drinking water potable so it’s just good habit to use water conditioner if your not on well water 

• Like 2

I am totally clueless whether there is chlorine or chloramine in my tap, as I never smell chlorine and all the chlorine tests I've done show up negative. In spite of that I still use water conditioner just in case. It doesn't really hurt to use it and it's an extra layer of safety in case there's any trace of toxic additives in the water.

EDIT: What I usually do since I use a Python attachment to my sink is add the water conditioner according to the volume of the tank and then add the fresh water right afterwards.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, laritheloud said:

I am totally clueless whether there is chlorine or chloramine in my tap, as I never smell chlorine and all the chlorine tests I've done show up negative. In spite of that I still use water conditioner just in case. It doesn't really hurt to use it and it's an extra layer of safety in case there's any trace of toxic additives in the water.

EDIT: What I usually do since I use a Python attachment to my sink is add the water conditioner according to the volume of the tank and then add the fresh water right afterwards.

Where do you get your water?  If it's from a city or rural water system it almost certainly has either chlorine or chloramine.  If you have your own well it probably doesn't.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, JettsPapa said:

Where do you get your water?  If it's from a city or rural water system it almost certainly has either chlorine or chloramine.  If you have your own well it probably doesn't.

NJ municipal water (rural county) that comes from deep well aquifers. I have always assumed it's treated with chlorine somewhere down the line, but I never test positive for chlorine out of the tap, and I never detect ammonia or nitrate out of the tap. It's a mystery, especially since I can't find the yearly water report posted online. Maybe they flush/clean the lines with chlorine a few times a year and it's treated earlier? I have no idea. I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, so I just use water conditioner to be extra safe.

• Like 2

You can call your water supplier and ask for a printed copy of their water report. My water supplier doesn't do online water reports, and after several years of asking for their water report, now they automatically send me one every year.

• Like 1