How many plants should I get?

So I'm a beginner to fish keeping and I would like to know how many plants I should buy? I have a single betta but I plan on getting one snail and I'm wondering how many plants can I get out of one pot? Maybe that isn't the right way to word it, but how do I know how big it'll be and if I need more? Is it better to get a few and start small then add on? Most of the plants I'm thinking of getting aren't really root plants (anubias, frogbit, java fern, etc) and I would like to know if I can plant them in substrate or should I get a different plant for that? I know anubias can be tied to rocks and java fern can be attached to drift wood that but I was also thinking of plants to put in the substrate (maybe water sprites and dwarf sagittaria). I would love to hear other suggestions because I can't seem to find much info online. The tank I have is 5 and a half gallons with gravel on the bottom and sand on the top for substrate. I'm not 100% sure where to get some of the plants because I plan to get most of them from aquarium co-op but they don't have all of the plants I'm looking for. I can get some plants from big chain and small pet stores (I went to check the small store selections and they didn't have much). Sorry for the long paragraph, hopefully that made sense :')

• Like 1

Frogbit multiples rapidly you only need one it is awesome. Java fern will produce its own babies at a moderate to slow pace so more if you want them now it is a one piece plant usually or wait and make your own. Anubis is usually one plant occasionally it will be two together they grow painfully slow and replicate even slower so picture everywhere you want one and buy one for that spot. The nana petite is adorable from acoop but maybe 2inx2in I have not bought any other Anubis from the coop. Hope that helps share pictures when you set it up please 😁

• Like 4

If you get any stem plants like Water Sprite I'd just get the one pot as you can separate them into multiples. Think I got like 4 or 5 out of a pot. You also might end up having to replace some as you learn what you can and can't grow successfully. That can be due to how green your thumb is or the kind of water you have. Unless you're one of those like @Bentley Pascoethen you can grow anything lol.

Edited by sudofish

Crypts are a good choice for small tanks.  They're easy to grow, readily available, come in several varieties, and don't get too large.

Edit:  . . . and you can occasionally pull them up and separate them to make more plants.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Guppysnail I will 100% post pictures, I'm just trying to get the lights and a lid all set up because I want to transfer my fish over to a new bigger tank. The lights and the timer are here but the lid might take a while. If any of you guys have any suggestions on how to move over my betta safely that would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for responding late I was busy with work and school :')

On 8/30/2021 at 8:50 PM, Kitcat said:

@Guppysnail I will 100% post pictures, I'm just trying to get the lights and a lid all set up because I want to transfer my fish over to a new bigger tank. The lights and the timer are here but the lid might take a while. If any of you guys have any suggestions on how to move over my betta safely that would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for responding late I was busy with work and school :')

If he is relatively tame get him to swim into a specimen container or clear plastic cup or a soft cloth net as to not damage his fins. Hang/suspend in new tank until temp is the same or if it is the same just place him in. It’s how I moved my betta when needed.