NAME THAT PLANT

Torrey

On 1/8/2022 at 12:38 PM, anewbie said:

You want a name that plant game; find all the species of plants in this tank (there are at least 10 - probably 20+):

b3.jpg.8f8e52ac24431f9ce607f2f5af6861cf.jpg

🤩🤩🤩

I'll be back to test my memory. 

Look forward to reading other people's attempts as well. 

On 1/8/2022 at 1:38 PM, anewbie said:

You want a name that plant game; find all the species of plants in this tank (there are at least 10 - probably 20+):

b3.jpg.8f8e52ac24431f9ce607f2f5af6861cf.jpg

I want to play!

Aponogeton boivinianus, Anubias possibly barteri, Bolbitis heteroclita, Crypt possibly parva, Anubias possibly nana, hornwort, more Anubias barteri(?), Crypt wendtii probably bronze, a green Crypt (😉), another Crypt, (it just goes downhill from here), another Crypt, another Anubias, and something stemmy in the back, maybe a couple stemmies in the back.  How’d I do?  😆 😂 🤣 

• Love 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:32 AM, Odd Duck said:

I want to play!

Aponogeton boivinianus, Anubias possibly barteri, Bolbitis heteroclita, Crypt possibly parva, Anubias possibly nana, hornwort, more Anubias barteri(?), Crypt wendtii probably bronze, a green Crypt (😉), another Crypt, (it just goes downhill from here), another Crypt, another Anubias, and something stemmy in the back, maybe a couple stemmies in the back.  How’d I do?  😆 😂 🤣 

One of the anubias is a gold coin which is a barteri; i do not believe the tank has any Bolbitis heteroclita; I believe the 'crypt parva' (not sure which plant you are referencing) is more likely an anubia parva. There is an unhealthy nana pinto next to the parva. There is a crypt wnedtii bronze on the right front; and another wendtii (green) before the golden anubia (which is a barteri). There is a large nana on the right front. There is a bruce near the right front. ; there is a large pinto anubia left front which is a nana (but the leaves always seem large for nana so who knows). There is a crypt red spiralis (in your defense not visible in the picture); there is a crypt nuri rosen maiden and a crpt nurii pahang (right side). The stemmy plant you reference is probably mexican oak but on the right back there is a bit of italia val and to the left of it (not really visible) some PSO. 

There is probably other stuff i've forgotten. There used to be a lagendra somewhere but all i can find is a small plant - in the 40B it has been spreading like wild-fire so maybe i should move one into this tank. Oh and you missed the lovely dwarf lily on the back left which is not visible in the picture because it is behind that large pinto anubia. I really should take a better picture. 

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Odd Duck said:

@anewbie Attached pic with circles.  Green is what looked like well grown Crypt parva.  Blue is what looked like a Bolbitis.  Red is the “stemmy” stuff.  And yellow is the ”now I see it!” Val?

4BE04F5A-7BFE-4D01-AE1B-50EAC940B548.jpeg

The green is actually very interesting. That is quite new but not something i added. I'm 90% sure it is a by-product of my boivinianus blooming (which it did for the first time after 30 months). Shortly after the bloom wilted i ended up with 100's of those and I believe that they are baby boivinianus but only time will confirm. The blue is a very large pinto anubia - lovely plant that blooms a couple of time a year. The red is the mentioned mexican oak. The yellow front (but behind the drift wood) is actually the parva anubia (or maybe it is a crypt - i had both in the tank and they are quite similar unless you look at the bottom) and at the very back in the yellow area there is a bit of short italia val. For some reason in this tank the val is not growing up but keeps growing horizontal (tons and tons of runners - i've pulled about 20 the past month and noticed a few minutes ago it sent out another 6 or 7).

Edited by anewbie

@Torrey let us know how the El Niño fern (Bolbitis Heteroclita) does long term. I only ever see them at box stores in the tubes. I’m convinced it’s not really a plant that can be successfully grown submerged. I’ve bought two and over the course of a year they just made a weak attempt at growing but then slowly died. 

On 1/10/2022 at 10:27 AM, anewbie said:

The green is actually very interesting. That is quite new but not something i added. I'm 90% sure it is a by-product of my boivinianus blooming (which it did for the first time after 30 months). Shortly after the bloom wilted i ended up with 100's of those and I believe that they are baby boivinianus but only time will confirm. The blue is a very large pinto anubia - lovely plant that blooms a couple of time a year. The red is the mentioned mexican oak. The yellow front (but behind the drift wood) is actually the parva anubia (or maybe it is a crypt - i had both in the tank and they are quite similar unless you look at the bottom) and at the very back in the yellow area there is a bit of short italia val. For some reason in this tank the val is not growing up but keeps growing horizontal (tons and tons of runners - i've pulled about 20 the past month and noticed a few minutes ago it sent out another 6 or 7).

Very cool if those are Apo babies!  I wish my ‘Petite Pinto’ was doing so well!  It grows very slowly and tiny.  Pretty unexciting.  Yours is so translucent looking and the angle of the leaves made it look like the heteroclita!  The long leaves in the back is what I was trying to circle.  😆 My eye just skipped right over that tiny window showing the Vals the first time around.  🤣  Your Val may be about to explode.  It does sometimes like to runner, and runner, and runner, then jump up!  You might try feeding the runners back on themselves so the plants get more crowded on themselves.  This seems to be one of their triggers for doing the jump up stage.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:43 AM, Odd Duck said:

Very cool if those are Apo babies!  I wish my ‘Petite Pinto’ was doing so well!  It grows very slowly and tiny.  Pretty unexciting.  Yours is so translucent looking and the angle of the leaves made it look like the heteroclita!  The long leaves in the back is what I was trying to circle.  😆 My eye just skipped right over that tiny window showing the Vals the first time around.  🤣  Your Val may be about to explode.  It does sometimes like to runner, and runner, and runner, then jump up!  You might try feeding the runners back on themselves so the plants get more crowded on themselves.  This seems to be one of their triggers for doing the jump up stage.

I might pull all the val from this tank; i really want the pso to grow back there but it has been struggling. I used to have  a dense forest of pso in this tank than i used furan-2 (8 months ago) and it killed all of it; and since then I've not been able to get to re-established. I have some in my 120 and 40 that i transplant but those tanks are high-tech and it has trouble with the switch to low-tech. Also that apongeton is a amusing - i love the leave colour/shape but it is so darn large and it is not an easy plant to prune given the type of leaves it has. It took about a year to grow but after about 18 months it started to accelerate the growth. It continues to put out new leaves at a steady rate and each new leave is larger than the previous. Yea - i'll post an update somewhere if all those small plants turn into apongeton - i fear they will - but there are so many of them and one plant alone is able to dominate the tank...

• Like 1

I finally got permission to lift 10 lbs (a gallon jug!) and light use of my right shoulder. 

Surgeon said he trusted me to know my body's limits and not overdo it 🤣🤣🤣

I'm trying to be responsible, and only going to do tank maintenance on 1 tank at a time, every other day. It also means I finally got to remove the plants (my Jöl gift from my spouse) from their tubes and I was delighted to see brand new growth, including new WHITE roots!

Since I have not been able to set up the 4' dining room tank they will be living in, I used @Guppysnail's suction cup solution so the plants can have their needs met, and start acclimating to immersed living conditions. 

16418666031834475768057220917488.jpg.f58d294f6ada47e7ff0097dca00f34a6.jpg

This is the Amazon sword that was mostly dead when I opened the gift at the beginning of December. 

16418667156802196042529467982307.jpg.3c0e3892b1237d36bcedf35ac9de61ad.jpg

Anubias nana came out of the tube with 3 brand new leaves, and 6 new roots (and it looks like new rhizome growth?)

16418668231648717492719281582162.jpg.d21a3e340dbb90211f76fc47802d100f.jpg

The Windelov looks the worst out of the bunch. It had the driest silicone cup of all the plants, yet had a lot of condensation in the tube.

Once I pushed it further down in the water:

16418670346265319512418828298248.jpg.e601901f52b0d7dfd65917a3f21ed43d.jpg

The endlers cleared out some of the older growth, and I discovered both new roots and brand new, still unfurling leaves!

Next up:

16418672016068868838328543478917.jpg.d210e9364a7f67b64efbb81cf6a0e5c8.jpg

The El Niño fern exceeded expectations. 

Finally, the generic 'Anubias species'🤔

16418672392881242006824485726344.jpg.2b5b5aa6cdf93d49ded8ba5e2d79b29e.jpg

It only has 2 really healthy leaves. Under the radar? A full complement of new roots!

Hope to add more images as I gather more plants. Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, Guppysnail said:

Everything looks wonderfully healthy. Awesome start. Dont push yourself too hard and set your recovery back please. 

I am waiting a few days between tanks. I got a phone call from NC, found out my sister and her family have covid. It was a reminder that I am not just healing from surgery, I am healing from surgery in the middle of a pandemic and I can't afford to risk getting covid again. 

Thank you @Guppysnail for reminding me to slow down. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:33 AM, Patrick_G said:

@Torrey let us know how the El Niño fern (Bolbitis Heteroclita) does long term. I only ever see them at box stores in the tubes. I’m convinced it’s not really a plant that can be successfully grown submerged. I’ve bought two and over the course of a year they just made a weak attempt at growing but then slowly died. 

Since my spouse fell in love with it, it will be staying in the 4' in my spouse's room, and will be a riparian plant. 

I will definitely keep everyone updated!

I agree that the stems are too woody to be a true aquatic plant. I triple checked the tube, and it says it grows submerged... and I don't believe it. If I end up with any submerged growth, I will update here. It's definitely much happier *out of* the tube. The El Niño and the windelov look like brand new plants today. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a mystery plant, but I somehow killed duckweed once. If I knew what happened, I would share it, as I know some of you can’t get rid of it, but it happened while the tank it was in was empty, so a nutrient deficiency is the only thing I can think of. Strange though, how there were no problems with the pothos, java moss, and salvinia.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 6:34 AM, Guppy Guy said:

Not exactly a mystery plant, but I somehow killed duckweed once. If I knew what happened, I would share it, as I know some of you can’t get rid of it, but it happened while the tank it was in was empty, so a nutrient deficiency is the only thing I can think of. Strange though, how there were no problems with the pothos, java moss, and salvinia.

That actually makes sense, though. 

Lack of nutrients would disproportionately affect the smallest plants first. As the duckweed died, the larger plants would benefit from the newly released nutrients. 

That's how the circle of life functions in nature, right? Consume nutrients to live, release nutrients via waste or death, so other organisms can use the nutrients. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 7:34 AM, Guppy Guy said:

I have also killed duckweed. I had full cover in my 10 gallon coolwater tank for a summer, then it all died off over the winter. My first guess is that it got too cold, but the duckweed never came back the next summer. I haven't been able to rule out nutrient deficiency, since the guppy grass has also been doing poorly in that tank.

This fall I was rearranging the tanks and found a clump of ~6 duckweed leaves, so I stuck them in my 40. They're making a slow comeback, up to ~30-50 duckweed leaves a few months later. I'm glad I've got them in a heated tank now, since the 49°F ambient temp in the fish room today would probably kill them off again. 😳

On 1/26/2022 at 3:54 PM, drewzero1 said:

I have also killed duckweed. I had full cover in my 10 gallon coolwater tank for a summer, then it all died off over the winter. My first guess is that it got too cold, but the duckweed never came back the next summer. I haven't been able to rule out nutrient deficiency, since the guppy grass has also been doing poorly in that tank.

This fall I was rearranging the tanks and found a clump of ~6 duckweed leaves, so I stuck them in my 40. They're making a slow comeback, up to ~30-50 duckweed leaves a few months later. I'm glad I've got them in a heated tank now, since the 49°F ambient temp in the fish room today would probably kill them off again. 😳

Since frost doesn't kill off the duckweed in the local acequias, I don't think cold alone kills it.

Maybe too rapid a temp change, or too rapid a humidity drop?🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 5:01 PM, Torrey said:

Since frost doesn't kill off the duckweed in the local acequias, I don't think cold alone kills it.

Maybe too rapid a temp change, or too rapid a humidity drop?🤔

I  agree, those are both likely culprits. We have duckweed in farm ponds around here that freeze solid in the winter, and it comes back strong every year. My money's on humidity or nutrient deficiency.

Here's a plant ID request: can anybody tell me what the light green stem plant is on the left of this photo? I've got guppy grass and I know it isn't that. It grows roots and it has alternating opposed pairs of leaves. The guy at the store didn't seem too sure but thought it might be some kind of ludwigia, which hasn't been borne out by further research. This photo was taken shortly after planting.IMG_20210818_120823.jpg.99e4e541760995687a20df95b94e5203.jpg

Here's a comparison with guppy grass, mystery plant below left, guppy grass floating above. IMG_20210903_175550.jpg.4bfbdb817787d93cb3aca65f8b54fdf3.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 1:28 AM, drewzero1 said:

I  agree, those are both likely culprits. We have duckweed in farm ponds around here that freeze solid in the winter, and it comes back strong every year. My money's on humidity or nutrient deficiency.

Here's a plant ID request: can anybody tell me what the light green stem plant is on the left of this photo? I've got guppy grass and I know it isn't that. It grows roots and it has alternating opposed pairs of leaves. The guy at the store didn't seem too sure but thought it might be some kind of ludwigia, which hasn't been borne out by further research. This photo was taken shortly after planting.IMG_20210818_120823.jpg.99e4e541760995687a20df95b94e5203.jpg

Here's a comparison with guppy grass, mystery plant below left, guppy grass floating above. IMG_20210903_175550.jpg.4bfbdb817787d93cb3aca65f8b54fdf3.jpg

That could be some pearlweed that isn’t getting enough light, but it doesn’t look quite right for that.  There’s another stem plant somebody posted a few days ago, might have been an uncommon, narrow-leafed Ludwigia species?  I’m not that good with stem plants and I don’t remember what thread it was.  I’ll let it perk through my brain a bit and see if I can figure it out.  Seems like it might have been another plant ID help thread?  Sorry, not really much help.  It does look like it needs more light, though, no matter the ID.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 12:45 PM, drewzero1 said:

@TorreyOoh, good question. I don't have much (or possibly any) of it left but I found some more pictures that show branching at leaf nodes. I seem to remember only seeing roots at the base of the stem (though I could be mistaken).

Screenshot_20220206-133852.jpg.ceee8ddaef9c46af088e1980bb0398a8.jpgScreenshot_20220206-133752__01.jpg.269306192842f6fbab68283e6e214b6a.jpg

@Guppysnail is this ludwiga?

Pictures further up included a growing 'branch' that looks to be reddish.

My BIL plant guru hasn't responded yet. 

• Thanks 1