I have a 10 gallon tank with an over powered light. Finnex fugeray Planted+. I would like to start a red cherry colony. I think I got all females but that's for a different thread. 

I'd like to create a bright green background so the cherries pop against the green. I'd like to make a moss wall. But what kind of moss should I get? I was thinking Christmas moss because it's supposed to do better in higher light than java moss. Open to suggestions. 

I was thinking about starting the moss wall flat in the bottom of my q-tank. But I think that won't work out because the change in lighting and water might cause a meltdown. I'm probably going to buy a couple mats of whatever moss I get and then weave pieces into some crafting mesh. Then use some suction cups to secure the mesh to the tank. I've seen the video using two pieces of mesh but that seems unnecessary. But if I get feed back to the contrary I have enough mesh to make it work. I just hope my constant battle against black hair and brush algae doesn't win over the mats. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:35 AM, Ryan F said:

I have a 10 gallon tank with an over powered light. Finnex fugeray Planted+. I would like to start a red cherry colony. I think I got all females but that's for a different thread. 

I'd like to create a bright green background so the cherries pop against the green. I'd like to make a moss wall. But what kind of moss should I get? I was thinking Christmas moss because it's supposed to do better in higher light than java moss. Open to suggestions. 

I was thinking about starting the moss wall flat in the bottom of my q-tank. But I think that won't work out because the change in lighting and water might cause a meltdown. I'm probably going to buy a couple mats of whatever moss I get and then weave pieces into some crafting mesh. Then use some suction cups to secure the mesh to the tank. I've seen the video using two pieces of mesh but that seems unnecessary. But if I get feed back to the contrary I have enough mesh to make it work. I just hope my constant battle against black hair and brush algae doesn't win over the mats. 

I think Java Moss would work great. Two or three mats  from Aquarium Coop would be enough. 
For algae control here’s the formula I use. 
-less light or a shorter photoperiod 

-clean up crew of Amano Shrimp and Otocinclus 

-lots of plant mass to outcompete the algae

-If necessary, dose Easy Carbon or Seachem Excel. 

Edited by Patrick_G

I've heard the easy carbon and seachem excel can have some pretty strong negative effects on "simple" plants like moss and grasses. I was worried about that. Has that not been your experience?

I have amanos but they won't eat brush/hair algae. And they will eat cherries. This is why I am starting a secondary cherry tank.

Christmas moss will work, just remember to start attaching it from the bottom up because the top will always hang down and be prepared to eventually have to keep trimming it back because the overlap will completely shade what's below. Phoenix moss will work also but it doesn't grow as fast, however it also involves less trimming. I've go both in my tank attached to driftwood,

PS: Shrimp love the moss, and they are also the best cleaning crew for it. My moss is at any given time populated with dozens of Blue Dream, and a few Amano shrimp.

Edited by Jungle Fan

• 4 months later...

So, update time. I got two types of moss a while back. Christmas moss and another type called fissiden fontanous. The Christmas moss is doing fantastic so I decided to go with that for the moss wall. I used crafting mesh and threaded the little stems into the holes one by one...for entirely too many hours. Hindsight being the amazing thing that it is, I should have done three smaller section rather than trying to make a giant wall all at once. My shoulders are dying! I would have also realized that the filters are covering about 2 hours of work...ouch... Also the suction cups are not placed correctly. And don't fit properly. Sometimes the "perfect fit" is too big. I'm pretty happy so far. Mostly cause it's finally done and in the tank. I hope it spreads and fills in over the next few weeks/ months. The fissiden makes a great filter hide but doesn't seem like it'll ever jump off the mesh without some serious coaxing and time time time! My shrimp colony is also taking root finally. There are about 20 adults and I've count as many as 20 shrimplettes. I thought about making a build log but I only had a few days and after making a sample piece knew it welas going to take a long time and wanted to get moving.

20220102_184131.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1