apisto super red breeding

the other Irene

Breeding these is pretty easy in my experience. 

Put a male and female in a tank with an Apisto cave, a nice amount of plants and driftwood and some Indian Almond leaves. The water should be on the softer side, but I believe others have bred them in hard water. Water temps in the upper 70s. Rotate some frozen foods into the weekly feeding and add a small amount of baby brine or vinegar eels each day so the parents know there is live food available.

Or, sometimes you don't need to do anything and they just breed anyway. 

Things to know: The female can get quite nasty once the fry are free swimming, even to her own mate. And, sometimes, you put a pair together and they decide to never start a family for their own personal reasons they haven't yet shared with me.  😉

Good luck on any future breeding attempts!

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

@Nik_n Why pull the eggs? It’s so much of a hassle. I prefer to let natural selection complete its course. You’ll still get a bunch of fry, and you get to watch the amazing parental behaviours too!

I’ve successfully spawned apistos countless times in a community tank by using this method:

Feed loads of frozen foods. Have some dry stuff too, but mostly frozen and live if you can. Also feed some tiny foods like microworms, vinegar eels, BBS or hikari first bites so they know the fry will have a good food source.

Drop the pH below 6.5. I’ve had best success at 5.5 or 6, but at least get it down to 6.5 using driftwood and almond leaves. Use a couple caves, and obviously lots of plants, but you said your tank is already planted.

Temperature should be in the high 70s to very low 80s, but it’s okay if it’s mid-70s.

Then just sit back and watch the magic, and if you feed BBS, get them ready.

Edited by Crabby

Wow, your female beats up your male? What’s their size difference? My female is definitely more active during their spawning, but my male is probably twice her size. Or I guess it could be because you’re doing it in a 12 gallon. That would make a lot of sense too.

Edited by Crabby

Haha that’s like what my female does when she’s trying to show off for my male and he won’t pay attention. She flares and dances, and then if he isn’t looking after a while, she just goes up right in his face and waves her tail in front of his nose.

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 12:13 AM, Crabby said:

@Nik_n Why pull the eggs? It’s so much of a hassle. I prefer to let natural selection complete its course. You’ll still get a bunch of fry, and you get to watch the amazing parental behaviours too!

I’ve successfully spawned apistos countless times in a community tank by using this method:

Feed loads of frozen foods. Have some dry stuff too, but mostly frozen and live if you can. Also feed some tiny foods like microworms, vinegar eels, BBS or hikari first bites so they know the fry will have a good food source.

Drop the pH below 6.5. I’ve had best success at 5.5 or 6, but at least get it down to 6.5 using driftwood and almond leaves. Use a couple caves, and obviously lots of plants, but you said your tank is already planted.

Temperature should be in the high 70s to very low 80s, but it’s okay if it’s mid-70s.

Then just sit back and watch the magic, and if you feed BBS, get them ready.

I thought that the fry would get eaten in a community tank, with two angelfish and a blue gourami. However if its possible to get the fry to survive I would love to try the natural approach. 

I'm not sure if I can get my pH to be that low. The ph of my water is 7.6. I have driftwood but I could always add more and almond leaves. Would the lower ph affect the gourami?

I keep my tank at 80°C. 

I will go to the fish store tomorrow and decide on which pair I would get. How big do they need to be in order to be a ready to breed?

Thanks 

Edited by Nik_n
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 11:59 PM, Nik_n said:

I thought that the fry would get eaten in a community gallon, with two angelfish and a blue gourami. However if its possible to get the fry to survive I would love to try the natural approach. 

I'm not sure if I can get my pH to be that low. The ph of my water is 7.6. I have driftwood but I could always add more and almond leaves. Would the lower ph affect the gourami?

I keep my tank at 80°C. 

I will go to the fish store tomorrow and decide on which pair I would get. How big do they need to be in order to be a ready to breed?

Thanks 

Hmm I’m not sure if you could trust the angelfish. But the gourami would be fine. The parenting instincts in apistogrammas (as described by Irene’s experiences) are very strong, and for such a small fish, a female Apistogramma sure knows how to keep her babies safe. If the angelfish are fully grown I probably wouldn’t risk it, but if they’re still young then I think you could try.

I’ve heard of people breeding some types of apistos in neutral water, even in stuff a bit over neutral, but that probably means you can’t do some of the less common or more exotic types. 
I think lower pH should be fine for the gourami. If it’s a slow transition, most fish handle it really well.

In terms of size, I’m not sure what size they can breed at. I never measured mine, and they’ve grown a bit since they first spawned. @the other Irene has a younger pair I think, she would be able to give you a more accurate measurement.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:45 PM, Hobbit said:

@Fish Folk has bred a lot of fish and may have some perspective to share!

Enjoyed reading this thread! Congrats on the Apisto fry. Honestly, we've had poor success with Apistos. We had one nice Cacatuoides Super Red pair spawn a few times, but no fry. Another A. Bitaeniata spawned, but the few fry that hatched were picked off by Neon Tetras in the tank. I've definitely witnessed the females tail-whip the males. It's a hoot! I get popcorn, and pull up a stool to the octagon to watch the girl's smack the boys around. I'm not persuaded pH is as big of a deal as is GH / KH. Water needs to be soft. Out tap water is soft, but moderately high pH. My son -- the "original Fish Folk" -- wants Cactuoides Super Reds again for his 75 gal. Once I sell off my Killifish colony, I'll probably try breeding Apistos in my 33 gal long. It's begging to be an Apisto tank . . .475B6EC0-FA44-448F-9140-4F58B3E6D56B.jpeg.cea5c1441fae275d00198762f06d5477.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 12:15 AM, Crabby said:

Hmm I’m not sure if you could trust the angelfish. But the gourami would be fine. The parenting instincts in apistogrammas (as described by Irene’s experiences) are very strong, and for such a small fish, a female Apistogramma sure knows how to keep her babies safe. If the angelfish are fully grown I probably wouldn’t risk it, but if they’re still young then I think you could try.

I’ve heard of people breeding some types of apistos in neutral water, even in stuff a bit over neutral, but that probably means you can’t do some of the less common or more exotic types. 
I think lower pH should be fine for the gourami. If it’s a slow transition, most fish handle it really well.

In terms of size, I’m not sure what size they can breed at. I never measured mine, and they’ve grown a bit since they first spawned. @the other Irene has a younger pair I think, she would be able to give you a more accurate measurement.

The angelfish are fully grown, that was one of my biggest worries. It would be complicated during feeding times. I wanted to ask if I could keep apistos with corydoras or bristlenose catfish? 

I wouldn't be breeding or keeping any exotic types in this tank, maybe sometimes in the future. 

About the size: the ones in my LFS are usually pretty small so thats why I wanted to make sure. Also, at what age do they start breeding? 

On 8/17/2021 at 9:26 PM, Nik_n said:

The angelfish are fully grown, that was one of my biggest worries. It would be complicated during feeding times. I wanted to ask if I could keep apistos with corydoras or bristlenose catfish? 

I wouldn't be breeding or keeping any exotic types in this tank, maybe sometimes in the future. 

About the size: the ones in my LFS are usually pretty small so thats why I wanted to make sure. Also, at what age do they start breeding? 

So you can definitely keep them with bristlenose cats. I’ve bred my BNs with the apistos in the tank, and the apistos with the BNs in the tank. No problems there. I think cories should be fine as well, but I haven’t tried it. I’d definitely give it a go if I had space.

I think Fish Folk is probably right about the softness thing. I always attribute the spawning to my pH because it seems so extreme, but my water is super soft too.

I wish I could say that apistos become sexually mature at X age, but I’m not quite sure I can. My oldest juvies are now a year and a half old, and I think there’s a chance they could breed if I moved them into a different tank, but I’m not sure. They’ve grown quite slowly due to the amount of fry they had to compete with, and they’re only just speeding up that process now that I’ve sold the rest. Whereas some people will grow out their fry in a crystal clean environment with baby brine 3 times a day, and they could be sexually mature by 9 months. I’d say a year on average would be about the age of maturity, though. Sorry if that isn’t very helpful.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:06 AM, Crabby said:

So you can definitely keep them with bristlenose cats. I’ve bred my BNs with the apistos in the tank, and the apistos with the BNs in the tank. No problems there. I think cories should be fine as well, but I haven’t tried it. I’d definitely give it a go if I had space.

I think Fish Folk is probably right about the softness thing. I always attribute the spawning to my pH because it seems so extreme, but my water is super soft too.

I wish I could say that apistos become sexually mature at X age, but I’m not quite sure I can. My oldest juvies are now a year and a half old, and I think there’s a chance they could breed if I moved them into a different tank, but I’m not sure. They’ve grown quite slowly due to the amount of fry they had to compete with, and they’re only just speeding up that process now that I’ve sold the rest. Whereas some people will grow out their fry in a crystal clean environment with baby brine 3 times a day, and they could be sexually mature by 9 months. I’d say a year on average would be about the age of maturity, though. Sorry if that isn’t very helpful.

Thanks a lot. How long did you grow the fry out until you sold them? I went to my local fish store yesterday and asked about the apistos. They said they are getting a new shipment in on Friday, but they don't know how big the fish will be. Dose anyone know how old are the fish when they first get in. I would probably need to grow the fish out for 6 months before mature, but thats fine too. 

The ph of my water is high but the water is very soft, so I don't think the gh and kh would be a problem.