Keeping hard water with crushed coral. Suggestions on use of Aquarium Co-Op's crushed coral?

md363

Hi.  I have a 10-gallon planted aquarium with gravel substrate and one bag of the Co-Op's crushed coral mixed into the gravel to help with keeping hard water and balancing pH.  Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how long the crushed coral will last to have the desired effect on the water conditions?  My tank has been operational for about 4 1/2 months, fish are 3 Dwarf Endlers.  Can I add a little bit, say 1/4 of a bag of the crushed coral to raise my water hardness a little?  It's a bit lower than it was 2 1/2 months ago and I just don't want to end up with problems for my fish.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance  🙂

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 8:55 PM, md363 said:

Hi.  I have a 10-gallon planted aquarium with gravel substrate and one bag of the Co-Op's crushed coral mixed into the gravel to help with keeping hard water and balancing pH.  Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how long the crushed coral will last to have the desired effect on the water conditions?  My tank has been operational for about 4 1/2 months, fish are 3 Dwarf Endlers.  Can I add a little bit, say 1/4 of a bag of the crushed coral to raise my water hardness a little?  It's a bit lower than it was 2 1/2 months ago and I just don't want to end up with problems for my fish.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance  🙂

In my opinion, I do not think you need to be overly concerned about GH / KH unless it moves to the outside limits of the spectrum. Many things can affect it: how much you feed . . . whether or not you have added air-stones or sponge filters to your tank . . . plants, snails, stocking level, etc. I've never added crushed coral past an initial "dump in." I think it is a very slow-releasing process. Personally, I wouldn't worry much about chasing some ideal parameter with your Endlers. If they're happy, spawning, swimming well, active -- they're great. No need to overthink it. 

• Like 3

@Fish Folk @GardenStateGoldfish  thanks for the advice, I will keep an eye on the water parameters and the behavior of the fish and go from there.  I can still see the crushed coral mixed in with the gravel just fine so it hasn't dissolved yet.  Also, the listing for their crushed coral on the Co-Op's website says that it may need to be replaced every 1-2 years depending on how low the pH of the tap water is.  

• Like 1