Fish Room 64 Build Thread

Jimmy

Update. Not a terribly exciting one. Started cutting twin wall polycarbonate for lids. 8 foot sheets that are 24” wide running about 44 bucks a piece. It’s not cheap but they are the best diy lids. Easy to work with, super sturdy and light weight. I got 9 done. It will take several hours to do all 27.

here’s me using foam board as a stencil. You could just as easily measure but once I cut the foam board i just ripped the polycarbonate length wise so I had the correct width then used the foam board for a perfect fit

image.jpeg.332278a7a0c63618c97ece38ab1b3826.jpegimage.jpeg.121e2f03ac075b6229ae0b2b35f16b04.jpeg

painters tape is the best for a clean cutimage.jpeg.cc22d2f38f147357d6fa24c0dc3f00b9.jpeg

Jigsaw super easy but a table saw or making a jig for the straightest cut would be advised. I was able to make TIGHT fit by hand, it’s good enough for me.

cheap knobs and cheap hinges with a bit of super glue. I’d advise anyone doing this to get the best hinges they can find that are plastic or acrylic. These ones I got don’t move too well. Also, I used regular super glue. The gel works way better which is what I typically use. Dollar tree only had the more liquidy variety. image.jpeg.679fd541c73c5b78b5518ebdee65d8bd.jpeg

image.jpeg.09975c69f8236c45162ee80525e1e951.jpegimage.jpeg.f44a8780375e0867e1b77d7a180c7b8b.jpeg

have I mentioned I love my wife? Lol

• Like 5

On 8/29/2021 at 9:27 AM, Jimmy said:

A7E6FA3B-B9E7-48EC-8148-728D83AF33D0.jpeg

Be careful with that heater element being so close to the PVC. I'd be concerned with the proximity causing a failure in the PVC in the long run and causing your entire room to lose air.

***Edit***

Or wait a sec, is that your exhaust fan?

Edited by Tihshho
edit

On 8/30/2021 at 12:04 PM, Jimmy said:

Update. Not a terribly exciting one. Started cutting twin wall polycarbonate for lids. 8 foot sheets that are 24” wide running about 44 bucks a piece. It’s not cheap but they are the best diy lids. Easy to work with, super sturdy and light weight. I got 9 done. It will take several hours to do all 27.

here’s me using foam board as a stencil. You could just as easily measure but once I cut the foam board i just ripped the polycarbonate length wise so I had the correct width then used the foam board for a perfect fit

image.jpeg.332278a7a0c63618c97ece38ab1b3826.jpegimage.jpeg.121e2f03ac075b6229ae0b2b35f16b04.jpeg

painters tape is the best for a clean cutimage.jpeg.cc22d2f38f147357d6fa24c0dc3f00b9.jpeg

Jigsaw super easy but a table saw or making a jig for the straightest cut would be advised. I was able to make TIGHT fit by hand, it’s good enough for me.

cheap knobs and cheap hinges with a bit of super glue. I’d advise anyone doing this to get the best hinges they can find that are plastic or acrylic. These ones I got don’t move too well. Also, I used regular super glue. The gel works way better which is what I typically use. Dollar tree only had the more liquidy variety. image.jpeg.679fd541c73c5b78b5518ebdee65d8bd.jpeg

image.jpeg.09975c69f8236c45162ee80525e1e951.jpegimage.jpeg.f44a8780375e0867e1b77d7a180c7b8b.jpeg

have I mentioned I love my wife? Lol

nice job, keep it up. making a template is always a great plan if you have to do more than 1 or 2 of the same item. huge time saver, and make the end result more consistant.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 10:43 AM, Tihshho said:

Be careful with that heater element being so close to the PVC. I'd be concerned with the proximity causing a failure in the PVC in the long run and causing your entire room to lose air.

***Edit***

Or wait a sec, is that your exhaust fan?

Exhaust lol. But thank you for looking out 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 10:50 AM, lefty o said:

nice job, keep it up. making a template is always a great plan if you have to do more than 1 or 2 of the same item. huge time saver, and make the end result more consistant.

Template that’s what it’s called. Brain fart lol. Still haven’t decided on if I’m going to drill feeding holes. I plan on doing pothos in every aquarium so I will eventually drill for them. I have tons of starts as of right now. I’m not certain how well they consume nitrates but I love the look and the root growth will be great for fish and fry

Yep, you had me panicking for you for a second! Nice little space you're working out over there. I've contemplated building wooden or welding up some racks, but with the limited space I've got and being near pipes and radon vents I didn't want to get something in place so custom and heavy duty that if I needed to tear it down would mean I couldn't quickly relocate the stands (i.e. welding would mean I'd have to build them to size in the room and have to cut them to move them out the room.) 

Any plans for projects going in yet?

• Thanks 1

Yeah a table saw with a high tooth blade does really nice on the twin wall polycarbonate panels. I did the same type of cuts and made it easy. I used the little edging you can get around the sides and at the side with the handle. Gave it a nice look imo. 

Whole expensive for a sheet your spending a ton less than glass tops

On 8/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, Tihshho said:

Yep, you had me panicking for you for a second! Nice little space you're working out over there. I've contemplated building wooden or welding up some racks, but with the limited space I've got and being near pipes and radon vents I didn't want to get something in place so custom and heavy duty that if I needed to tear it down would mean I couldn't quickly relocate the stands (i.e. welding would mean I'd have to build them to size in the room and have to cut them to move them out the room.) 

Any plans for projects going in yet?

Plans as far as live stock? 
originally corys, psuedomugils and killifish. But since I won’t be able to have an ac I’m afraid the water temp for July august could potentially go to 80 or above briefly on the worst days. So I want to do tetras as a replacement. We will see 

On 8/30/2021 at 1:11 PM, aquachris said:

Yeah a table saw with a high tooth blade does really nice on the twin wall polycarbonate panels. I did the same type of cuts and made it easy. I used the little edging you can get around the sides and at the side with the handle. Gave it a nice look imo. 

Whole expensive for a sheet your spending a ton less than glass tops

Ya plus glass isn’t as accessible, dangerous and harder to work with. Since they are breeding tanks I don’t care if it’s not super clean. Now my display in the house is pristine

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 5:28 PM, Jimmy said:

Plans as far as live stock? 
originally corys, psuedomugils and killifish. But since I won’t be able to have an ac I’m afraid the water temp for July august could potentially go to 80 or above briefly on the worst days. So I want to do tetras as a replacement. We will see 

Would you be able to put one of those mobile HC units in that are the size of about a 70pint dehumidifier and just needs an outlet for the heat exchanger? With all that prime real estate I'd hate for you to not be able to get projects going because of temp. 

On 8/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, Taco Playz said:

Good read! 

Appreciate that. Not as thorough as I intended but it might help or inspire someone. So small that photos don’t give a great perspective. I’m nearing the end of the build so not sure if I will continue this thread or what the progression will be

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 2:37 PM, Tihshho said:

Would you be able to put one of those mobile HC units in that are the size of about a 70pint dehumidifier and just needs an outlet for the heat exchanger? With all that prime real estate I'd hate for you to not be able to get projects going because of temp. 

That’s a great idea but I have a 100 watt service for my home, it’s old so I’m trying to limit it to 15 amp breaker. I doubt it will be a problem heat wise with exhaust and dehumidifier. It’s pretty mild here. Absolute worst case scenario is I keep only fish that can tolerate it for those 2~ months. Again, I think I will be able to manage regardless. We will see

• Like 1

Nothing huge to report. Started to run my air lines. I like the coop tubing. It’s a lot more workable than any other tubing I’ve used before. If you like perfectly spaced air valves then keep scrolling lol.image.jpeg.a5b1a6c9ce222621a31e2ec786d09a96.jpeg

I don’t want to focus on angels in the room but I will certainly grab eggs from my 40b from my platinum pearlscale and hatch some out. Additionally grab my best male albino BN and a female and get them going in their own tank for a little funimage.jpeg.0e6525a1ff05123e598778d17e519440.jpeg

got a few things going. Need to run the rest of the lines. Finish cleaning up my wires for lights. Also I’m going to shim my racks a bit better so they are the closest to being level. 

stay tuned!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 9/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, lefty o said:

air valves look fine. maybe not perfect, but the idea is to look at the fish in the tanks, not the junk behind the tanks!😜

Lol i would normal agree but it’s for breeding purposes only. Aesthetics wasn’t a consideration. 

On 9/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, lefty o said:

air valves look fine. maybe not perfect, but the idea is to look at the fish in the tanks, not the junk behind the tanks!😜

I thought originally you were commenting on how I’m not painting my aquariums but maybe I misread lol. The gray wall is enough for me. I don’t mind seeing a airline tubing or two. Gonna jam them with guppy grass and water sprite anyways lol

On 9/1/2021 at 9:31 PM, Jimmy said:

I thought originally you were commenting on how I’m not painting my aquariums but maybe I misread lol. The gray wall is enough for me. I don’t mind seeing a airline tubing or two. Gonna jam them with guppy grass and water sprite anyways lol

nope, merely meant your eye's are supposed to be on the fish, not the other stuff.

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2021 at 7:34 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

This is coming along beautifully!  Takes me ages to get half as much done as you.  I'm super impressed and inspired by the build.  Thanks for all the updates!

I had a 2 week quarantine or it would have taken me months to get this far lol. I’m glad you are inspired. This project is based around a limited space, limited electrical capacity and time. It might not be how other people would do it but I’ve put a TON of forethought into it. I’ve said many times but this is a dream for me. I didn’t think I’d get to do this for years.