Fish Room 64 Build Thread

Jimmy

On 8/21/2021 at 10:05 PM, Hobbit said:

Oooo looking good! As someone who spent six months planning and building her fish tank stand, I really admire your speed!

Admire my wife’s patience. Also I drive for a living I have a lot of time to think lol

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 9:45 PM, lefty o said:

keep up the good work. i enjoy seeing the progress!

Getting burnt out and scared to look at my check book right now. I will be in it for about 3k when said and done. But to be honest the last reef tank I kept was that much to just start and it was only 42g and not top of the line anything. It’s an investment. I’m freaking out, this is a dream come true

Update

i prematurely said I was done with the stands. I have to level and shim them. I intended on painting and staining but after much thought I realized that I don’t personally care. This room is for me and my children to enjoy, the build thread is just a loose way I can share some of the experience.

I’m only mildly handy but certainly have a passion for the hobby. A fish room that’s less than 60sq feet is crazy but entirely doable.

i want to screw these racks into the wall, I have some 6~ inch hex screws that would be perfect. I think it would add extra stability and safety having little ones around.

rather than staining last night I elected to cut foam board I got from hobby lobby. It was easy and fixed any twisting my racks had, Minus 1 20 long rack it’s not super plum front to back. I’m able to get all 4 corners level with a door shim under foam board which isn’t what I dreamed of doing but I believe is a sufficient solution. Small rimmed aquariums like a 20 long only really need the corners supported anyway. I love the look of the white bottom.

I also pulled all but 3 of the 23 aquariums I bought at the last DPG sale out of my rafters and cleaned them. I used windex don’t tell the fish police! LOL. It’s gonna be a few weeks before I have any inhabitants and I will have to do leak testing and such. Otherwise I don’t let the stuff near my aquarium or I at most spray a paper towel with it a room away to avoid over spray.

I still need to buy 4 ten gallons

98C2393A-C821-4DB0-A38C-7BF9E85C7A5C.jpeg

CCC0F672-DF9C-4D65-99AD-BA328E9574E6.jpeg

2509EF1E-510E-4C8B-8985-F6F299DA885F.jpeg

C3E8F997-9F5D-400E-801E-48E9574D0B2D.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/22/2021 at 6:49 AM, lefty o said:

That’s probably a better solution so I don’t have to sink a huge fastener. It’s highly unlikely a child can bring it down but if you have small children you can understand the disasters they are capable of.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:38 AM, Hobbit said:

Yay! Looking great! I’d still consider doing a poly coat on the stands just to help waterproof them, but it’s up to you. I know it would be a ton of work and you’ve done so much work in so little time already!

It’s ok if they get wet but I make minimal mess normally 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, s1_ said:

Is this going to be manual water changes?

Plan on big submersible pumps. Bi weekly, one week one half the next the other. Minimal water changes. It will evolve over time. There’s no running water so I will be filling up a barrel the night before water changes and gassing it off and getting to temp.

Edited by Jimmy

Little discrepancy between the front and back rails of my 20 long racks and I’m not sure how I could of been off. Even with 1/4 foam board the tanks on some levels rock a little. Can I shim the corner to make it rest evenly since the corners are the only thing on rimmed tanks that need support? I know 10s and 20s are pretty forgiving and it’s a small volume of water. 
I’m having a little anxiety when I wouldn’t think I would. 
Any use in sanding the rails til the sit flush?

4B624375-0B5C-41CC-ACEF-E21605B414EF.jpeg

how far does it rock? a few thousandths, i wouldnt worry too much. if we're talking an 1/8" id probably try and shim it with some of that foam, or even a small cardboard strip, something with some give in it. also remember things are going to settle some when you fill those tanks up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 7:53 PM, lefty o said:

how far does it rock? a few thousandths, i wouldnt worry too much. if we're talking an 1/8" id probably try and shim it with some of that foam, or even a small cardboard strip, something with some give in it. also remember things are going to settle some when you fill those tanks up.

Your going to help my practically on every step lefty LOL. Up to a quarter inch wobble. The 10s racks did it but the foam board was more than enough to level them. I think I’m going to level the stand vertically first and fasten to the wall THEN deal with the wobble. Not sure how I was off in my measurements, doesn’t help that it’s a bumpy garage with slope.

the aqueon 20s are rather sturdy in comparison to the 10s I can’t imaging putting the board down first then shimming the actual corner rim is that problematic right? It’s not like it’s a 6 foot 125. As long as all 4 corners have contact and it’s not absurdly unlevel should be fine? My 6 foot 150 was up for 6 years and leaned, no problems. Obviously it’s rested fine on the stand though 

yeah, a little lean isnt a big deal. what i worry about is twist in the tank from end to end. the 2 short ends need to be on the same plane. if the 2 short ends are twisted from one another, thats what imparts stress.

Edited by lefty o
dyslexic typing
  • Like 3

On 8/22/2021 at 8:43 PM, lefty o said:

yeah, a little lean isnt a big deal. what i worry about is twist in the tank from end to end. the 2 short ends need to be on the same plane. if the 2 short ends are twisted from one another, thats what imparts stress.

1/4 was exaggerated it’s less than that now that I’m out in my fish room before going to work lol. I screwed one rack in to the wall yesterday and mentally that makes me feel better. I’m going to get a stud finder to make sure I don’t sink them into the wall. Any problem with using a hearty screw over a hanger? Also, there’s corner brackets that I think would work well too that I could probably utilize. I’m not worried about the integrity of my racks considering they aren’t that heavy and also dado cuts can really hold some weight. But again, the child factor 

Update

nothing huge to report. I was able to get all I think I need for plumbing, outlet covers and polycarbonate for the lids. Bunch of packages sitting at post office. Most all work will be postponed to the weekend. 

D9FBFF9A-4FDF-4404-A7AE-64F2EAD023D0.jpeg

CDB1C0F8-AC58-4031-98E3-DA4598D465C3.jpeg

On 8/25/2021 at 3:16 PM, lefty o said:

cant wait to see this all done.

It’s going to be much slower from this point. This weekend is either cutting all the polycarbonate for the lids and attaching hinges and knobs or installing the air pump. 

I put outlet faceplates on but didn’t take pictures. I thought I got the depth right but wrong! LOL. They are a 1/8+ of an inch too deep. I’m not fixing it, it’s more than sufficient for my purposes. But next time I would take a second loose before I fasten. I used a longer screw and they are on

few toys trickling in

controller for exhaust. I suppose I could of done a hard wire one with stat but I like gadgets and this can be used for other applications

4346AFE0-838D-4EDD-9557-5D0E006BB657.jpeg

A5EE74D3-0758-4CC6-93A6-B3BF89445307.jpeg

B42D8261-5F8E-4006-ABE3-7165C6963554.jpeg

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 4

few things to show, not sure if it falls under being interesting.

Budget holster for temp gun, this is a pretty fun tool and seems to calibrated well and functional 
image.jpeg.1a3260e272ca940a24f5d7c7237cedd8.jpeg

This rack is god awful not level not sure how my dado cuts on the left side were so off. I’m going to have to pull it apart and give it a blade length or two of a cut and then put back together. 3 20 longs isn’t the heaviest thing in the world but it’s really frustrated me with this rack in particular.

image.jpeg.d4064e588cd2d0092dfa942a21e8bf8b.jpeg

I intend on painting this side panel to hide cords 

image.jpeg.40defdf506baf4441785fe667f6b6e59.jpeg

started installing cheap barrina led shop lights. 4 footer is 20 watts and the 2 is 10. Low consumption and heat and a great budget solution. Good hanging hardware. Not best spectrum or build quality. Makes it real easy to keep my wattage low and they link together 

image.jpeg.780cb113a43f52086bd13a15dea8452d.jpeg

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2