Fish Room 64 Build Thread

Jimmy

Got my exhaust cut out and installed. Super quiet fan. Not a top quality build but it works. Again went with a plug and play so I can utilize a controller. Placement is the best but it’s in the most convenient spot for running the duct.

I’m good at cord management, I will clean up that fan cord

today is second coat of mud.

started to spray aquariums last night, in a tight space. Not my best idea I started to feel light headed lol

Have you ever ordered 27 sponge filters at once? I did. Lol

869ACBEA-B961-4BD1-841A-1EB47146B700.jpeg

7EC1AEB7-C75A-41AF-9495-212CA88515BD.jpeg

26BB9ED0-BCCB-4608-8EBE-DB3D4DD3014A.jpeg

73D8B172-BAFE-4CA4-AE88-7379F0C535BA.jpeg

AB070020-C65A-45A4-9961-A6A6BD964DE2.jpeg

239C0580-17B9-432B-B459-CFA0FB7CEADB.jpeg

• Like 3

This is me pulling my tanks back out to make sure the layout will still work. With a 7 foot ceiling I won’t be able to get a 4th tier unfortunately, at least I think. Not sure how high yet my first row will be and I haven’t determined gap between tiers yet either

this isn’t the heater I intend on using, just what I’m using to dry the room out for second coat today 

2E95E64B-ED55-42C1-AECA-03B3942E5C15.jpeg

• Like 1

i agree with the guy in the video. over a 7' length using 10 gallon tanks, you will have close to or more (depending on substrate and decor) than 700# using 10 gallon tanks. that much weight sitting long term is all but guarantee'd to make those racks sag. a center support should really be considered mandatory at that length.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 8:34 PM, lefty o said:

i agree with the guy in the video. over a 7' length using 10 gallon tanks, you will have close to or more (depending on substrate and decor) than 700# using 10 gallon tanks. that much weight sitting long term is all but guarantee'd to make those racks sag. a center support should really be considered mandatory at that length.

Ok. I will concede I should have enough room for another inch and a half. The room is that tight lol

On 8/18/2021 at 9:00 PM, Torrey said:

Did you rewatch the video from Cory on when/ how he built the racks for the store?

Looking good!

Oh ya but they wouldn’t really work for 10s end out. At least with the space I have. 

I have built stands and racks just like in that video for years, the longest I have gone without a center brace was 6 foot, but I also used a 2x6 as the horizontal rails. 

The threaded rod is a good idea as a center brace, I would probably go with 1/2" rod, the hardest part unless you have a drill press would be to make sure the holes are straight and line up. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 9:28 PM, Patrick_G said:

You could use threaded rod. 

Threaded rod that’s what it’s called LOL. 700 pounds over 7 feet isn’t crazy but pushing it for a 2x4. I could screw that back rails into the wall and fasten a threaded rod in the middle of the front and back. Not sure how to fasten going to look up ideas now. Also it could look cool with stained 2x4

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 3:45 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have built stands and racks just like in that video for years, the longest I have gone without a center brace was 6 foot, but I also used a 2x6 as the horizontal rails. 

The threaded rod is a good idea as a center brace, I would probably go with 1/2" rod, the hardest part unless you have a drill press would be to make sure the holes are straight and line up. 

Would it look silly using 2x6 rails that are embedded in a dado cut 2x4? LOL. 
I have somewhat of a steady hand or I could create a sort of jig to drill the rail for the threaded rod 

Heater check. I pulled the trigger on a 250w rather than the 400. 7x7 interior with 300 gallons of water I really feel I can make this work. Crazy right? These are impressive units, minimal footprint and safe. I intend on keeping the room at 75~ but if it can keep the room 70+ on the coldest days I’m ok with that. Worst case scenario I can roll in the oil heater temporarily.

so I think spray painting this many aquariums isn’t economical. I haven’t rolled out a aquarium in a long time but I will likely get a quart or gallon of mat black and call it good

2D584B3B-81E2-4C52-95C9-01AD7CA3E12B.png

• Like 1

Yeah, you could make or buy a jig to drill the rails. If you decide to use a wood middle brace you could make half lap joints where you dado both the cross member and the vertical brace so they are flush. You could also just cut vertical pieces to fit in between the cross members. 

• Thanks 1

Looks awesome so far.

I love watching fish room builds from start to finish. Being a professional carpenter and a fish keeper its interesting to see how different people approach all aspects of a build.

as far as the gaps on your top plate, as long as you have sufficient shimming there should never be a problem.

can’t wait to see the tanks set up and stocking.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/19/2021 at 7:24 AM, Patrick_G said:

Yeah, you could make or buy a jig to drill the rails. If you decide to use a wood middle brace you could make half lap joints where you dado both the cross member and the vertical brace so they are flush. You could also just cut vertical pieces to fit in between the cross members. 

How much space should I go with between the aquarium and the next rail? 10 inches?

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 11:25 AM, Jimmy said:

How much space should I go with between the aquarium and the next rail? 10 inches?

Sorry, I’m not sure. I have carpentry experience but I’ve never done a fish rack. 10” sounds good though 👍 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 7:25 AM, Hobbit said:

If the walls are dark, do you have to paint the aquariums? Or are you going to paint the sides so the fish can’t see each other?

Went with a light gray. I’m only painting the back and bottom panel. I’m doing mostly bare bottom 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, Patrick_G said:

Sorry, I’m not sure. I have carpentry experience but I’ve never done a fish rack. 10” sounds good though 👍 

Found out today I’m not a drywall finisher LOL. My mud job was awful. Decided I’m going with a distressed look LOL. Going to paint tonight 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, Jimmy said:

Found out today I’m not a drywall finisher LOL. My mud job was awful. Decided I’m going with a distressed look LOL. Going to paint tonight 

welcome to the club. i hate mud&taping. small fixes are perfection. leveling seams oh boy!

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:30 AM, Atitagain said:

Looks awesome so far.

I love watching fish room builds from start to finish. Being a professional carpenter and a fish keeper its interesting to see how different people approach all aspects of a build.

as far as the gaps on your top plate, as long as you have sufficient shimming there should never be a problem.

can’t wait to see the tanks set up and stocking.

Nothing is super precise but my vision is clear. What I spent the most research on and nagging members was electrical. Turns out, wiring my room was the most fun.  I’m 75% completed. Budget build and well 2 grand into it. Glad lumber has come down.

I would of ran the top plates on the rafters if I can go back but my walls are sturdy and sound. I did spray foam to account for the slope and called it good.

insulation was fun 

• Like 1