Fish Room 64 Build Thread

Jimmy

Update.

Started a new job a month ago and life is a bit hectic. Not a lot of changes. Moved my golden white clouds up to the middle rack, bottom rack is a little too low to enjoy them.image.jpeg.7d58e61c0be81597ffda0b86f4404639.jpeg

Really enjoy my zyss brine shrimp hatchery and so do my fish. Can’t wait to get into more live food cultures. image.jpeg.126fe816a9edf36488a9be4d2d31ff6a.jpeg

My 3 females are slowly spitting out babies these girls are plump. Babies are developing and hiding in my pogostemon.image.jpeg.a4d7370a2c9e879be8665c3a6256b0d5.jpeg

Albino BN grow super fast. I’m excited but it’s pretty bread and butter but still new to me. They are about 2 weeks old.

got a order from LRB! Just a pond pair of guppy’s, some pilo moss and some guppy grass. I stupidly got rid of my guppy grass a few months ago but looking forward to growing it out. Currently pogostemon is growing wild and I’m propagating it pretty fast for my 27 aquariums. Lucas sent a gold ball sized portion of pilo moss for what like 5 bucks. It’s rather nice and super clean moss. 

grabbed 17 new pleco babies out of my main tank. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update

last couple months have been quite crazy for me, new job turned my home life upside down. Fortunately I’m able to get adequate family time in though the hours are weird. Secondly I’m able to play fish room in short burst and have been rather busy. 
With my weird inconsistent hours I decided to work on guppies with corydoras as a side interest. My paleatus are proven to be incredibly easy to duplicate and it’s my opinion you just need to put them in water. The biggest thing is to catch them before they eat eggs. Even with that I’m currently growing out about 35 babies and loving it.

I got a LRB scarlet red endler trio that I’m working on. The male is ok at best, I’m not in love but they will be well cared for until one day I make room for other strains. Females appear to be gravid. To heck it I can get a picture.

My LRB random pond pair are phenomenal but from what I can tell the female has been pregnant for far too long. Tons of guppy grass and even a mop. It’s possible she’s dropped and they ate them but I can’t prove it. I love the male. He’s a panda guppy. Blue in the gills that fades into the most pristine white colored body to a orange/red tail. Diminutive in side but packed with color. Hard as heck to get a good picture. Let me tell you, the top down on the male is everything. I’d love to duplicate for some ponds. image.jpeg.bc67fe0ccd00062e7ad3d3b43e63a251.jpeg
image.jpeg.3b4fa29a0b1e540cfcd92ec99666dde5.jpegimage.jpeg.b5d4280a74a77f312c7fc94589834949.jpeg

neos doing great, also from LRB. I have one male that should be culled and a female or two that aren’t that great. I’m excited to have my first berried female but unfortunately she’s less than desirable but fun nonetheless. Several of the females I got from here are so intensely red so look forward to put the work in.image.jpeg.96960d17f4a84672ef8fb0c8d03c25e7.jpeg

I got about half the tanks totally empty, lots of great things to come!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I finally got through all the pages of this today. What an adventure so far! Congrats on the babies.

Thank you for sharing! Rooting for you and having your recent changes settle in. Changing careers with a family and hobbies, and changing schedules can be chaotic to say the least. I feel for you. 🙂

On 12/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, lefty o said:

good to see the updates.

Thanks! It’s been a real treat. There’s so much stuff I want to keep but I’ve already spent a ton of money to get to this point and it’s the season of giving so I’m taking it slowly.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, Minanora said:

I finally got through all the pages of this today. What an adventure so far! Congrats on the babies.

Thank you for sharing! Rooting for you and having your recent changes settle in. Changing careers with a family and hobbies, and changing schedules can be chaotic to say the least. I feel for you. 🙂

I had about two weeks to throw it together so I worked hard. I learned a ton along the way.

• 1 month later...

Update

Been a crazy few months. Currently waiting for dans warehouse to get done and the expansion for the coop to happen before I really stock this room. Not terribly successful with the shrimp I got from Lucas but honestly I’m not as excited about shrimp as I would hope to be. Anyone else meh on shrimp? Also I was very enthusiastic about guppy’s but that has tapered off significantly. I have a strain that I particularly enjoy but I think the female isn’t fertile at this point. She looks gravid but has never dropped. The two males are absolutely stunning.

I haven’t had anything for shelving at this point so generally all my food and supplies end up in a pile on top of a 20 long. Like this mess.

I got some handy baskets from Amazon for a simple clean up.

Rearing a ton of baby corydoras. Also we had a cold snap and snow storm a few weeks ago and watching the room temp drop was an experience. Bottom rack got down to 62~ degrees. Sure enough the paleatus didn’t get the memo and produced the most eggs yet lol. All I have heating the room is a 250 watt ceramic heater synced with a ink bird controller. I found out that for days like that a simple heat lamp keeps it stable enough to be successful.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

On 1/13/2022 at 10:54 AM, Hobbit said:

Glad the heat lamp did the trick for you.

Right? Just a temporary solution. I may go up to the 400 watt version of what I currently use. Fun that so little total watts can manage a insulated 50sq ft room.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:34 PM, lefty o said:

amazing, but sometimes a little cold snap can trigger breeding behavior.

I think it helped but I suspect paleatus breed if you put them in water.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:11 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I’ve really enjoyed reading through this journal! Excellent job documenting it!

Hey I’m glad you enjoy it! Not much has changed the last 2-3 months but I had hoped to document more closely. I want to show what you can do with limited space and available electrical circuit 

• Like 2

Had a gift card for a LFS and brought home some aquasoil and a bag of this seacheam onyx sand for the heck of it. It’s not black as the bag might make it seem, I would describe it as a charcoal gray. It’s unique.

It was Thursday and the livestock was rather picked through and didn’t see anything on my list. Anyone use onyx sand before? It’s rather interesting texture and I’m afraid to put corys on it. Perhaps once I stock the tank or two I use it in I might try different bottom dwellers. 
The bag suggest to rinse and of course I didn’t. So lucky me I got to do a few water changes lol.

8D7B8F41-768B-4374-8018-CFDA5554B372.jpeg

21BA3BBB-D18E-443E-AF01-3BF70691249C.jpeg

• Like 1

Huh! Well, from what I’ve seen on this forum, cories will do okay on sharp substrate as long as they don’t have a reason to dig obsessively. Some cories might just like digging more than others. Or, if little bits of food get buried in the sand, they might go after those even if it’s wearing down their barbels. I have a theory based on some other posts that their barbels might get calloused over time, so they’ll build up a tolerance to a sharp substrate. Other nerms have postulated that they dig a lot more when they’re new to a tank because they’re exploring.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:23 PM, Hobbit said:

Huh! Well, from what I’ve seen on this forum, cories will do okay on sharp substrate as long as they don’t have a reason to dig obsessively. Some cories might just like digging more than others. Or, if little bits of food get buried in the sand, they might go after those even if it’s wearing down their barbels. I have a theory based on some other posts that their barbels might get calloused over time, so they’ll build up a tolerance to a sharp substrate. Other nerms have postulated that they dig a lot more when they’re new to a tank because they’re exploring.

I’ve had barbel erosion on round gravel so I’m hesitant to put them on anything half the time. I have lots of time to think about what will go in it, I have about 17~ empty tanks

• Like 1