I have a 15 gallon seasoned tropical tank with a large anubius. I want to get some new fish in soon but i'm not sure what I should go for. Any tips? I'm more than interested in adding plants to suit their needs as well. My only concern are fish that constantly breed as I am not in a situation where I can sell or rehome fry. I appreciate any suggestions! 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 6:46 PM, L0opz said:

I have a 15 gallon seasoned tropical tank with a large anubius. I want to get some new fish in soon but i'm not sure what I should go for. Any tips? I'm more than interested in adding plants to suit their needs as well. My only concern are fish that constantly breed as I am not in a situation where I can sell or rehome fry. I appreciate any suggestions! 

Are you looking to make it a community tank, or more of a showcase of one or two bigger fish?

On 8/10/2021 at 6:52 PM, lefty o said:

ember tetras look great in a planted tank. they stay small so you can have a number of them in a 15, and good luck with getting any fry, much less being over run with them.

I agree with Lefty, Embers are great.   There are actually a lot of tetras or rasbora that would do well in that tank.  Neons, rummy nose, silver fin, harlequins, etc.    All of those are also easy to find tankmates for, like corydoras. or otos. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 7:55 PM, GameCzar said:

I agree with Lefty, Embers are great.   There are actually a lot of tetras or rasbora that would do well in that tank.  Neons, rummy nose, silver fin, harlequins, etc.    All of those are also easy to find tankmates for, like corydoras. or otos. 

Don't forget black neon tetras either!  These guys are great since they are tough, super friendly, and have a nice unique color scheme.  A small school of them is a wonderful tank addition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll always suggest stopping to think and feel about what type of fish make you feel happy and/or peaceful. Unsure? Hunt down some videos of the species you're drawn to, where you can just watch them swim for a few minutes, and see what it feels like. 

Also try to match species with the water parameters you have out of the tap. Less work to fix parameters means less stress long-term.

As far as breeding is concerned, consider fish that would merely breed enough to replace themselves. (Many species will chow down the vast majority of their fry, particularly if you stop feeding the adults when you see fry. Or other species might eat the eggs.) If you're sure you'd like to have a certain species long-term, this is a great way to continue having them without having to bother with quarantining new ones. (My solution is simply to have 1 angelfish. He's delighted to help keep babies in check. Maybe you could have 1 fish in your community tank that would do the same job, but again, stop to make sure you'll enjoy the species before you get it.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1