What plants can take the heat?

Gotta say.  I love a planted tank.  From my observations of my own tank, fish seem to be more relaxed and act more natural in a real planted tank as opposed to a empty or a tank filled with plastic plants.

So I have a planted 60 gallon I am upgrading to a 150 gallon.  I don't want to run CO2.  My tank runs around 86 degrees for my Dicus.

I use ECO-Complete for sub straight.  Have a nice piece of spiderwood I will be moving over as well.  All the plants I have now will be moving over except the little mico ones that float at the top.  Not sure the name.

I would like to add some color.

What plants would fit all these restrictions?

PXL_20210730_141206849.MP.jpg

Some Amazon swords like Echinodorus Rubin, or Echinodorus Rose, as well as Aponogeton crispus, and Aponogeton longiplumulosus are listed for and have no problem with 86F. I usually kept my discus at around 84F and had plenty of swords. I'm pretty sure though that some of my friends were keeping their tanks at around 86F and also had  Echinodorus bleheri, and Red Flame.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 2

Hi @ThomasLC

I had a 30 gallon planted tank with juvie
F1 Red Spot Green Discus – Wild Jurua (Symphisidon aequifasciatus); the fish are now in a 75 gallon.  I did a journal on the process, you can find it hereThe plants species that did well were, Rotala H'ra,  Myriophyllum 'Guyana', Limnophila sp. 'Curly', Bacopa colorata, Rotala macrandra Bangladesh, Microsporum pteropus 'Trident', Microsporum pteropus 'Windelov', Nymphoides hydrophylla (aka 'Taiwan'), Ludwigia arcuata, and watersprite Ceratopteris thalictroides), and Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko'.  Most plant species can tolerate 86 degrees with the exception of the cold water plant species.  Here is a picture of the tank currently, most of the same plant species are in there but it now houses some rainbowfish.  Hope this helps! -Roy

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Dakota

I have not grown it submerged at 80+ degrees however I have grown it emersed at over 90+ degrees.

Micranthemum ‘Monte Carlo' on right
spacer.png

I grow a lot of the more difficult to find species emersed as a 'plant bank' for future aquascapes since I don't have tank space for all of the species I want to have available. I have three shelves in my garage with containers like above and 'humid domes' like below.
spacer.png

• Love 1