Large Aquarium racks

Desktop Aquatics

I have been setting up plans for my new apartment and the rack I want to set up. My plan is to have a 55 or 75gal tank on top with 2 rows underneath with either 20gal or 10gals. I haven't really found any good DIY for making a tank of that size with smaller tanks underneath. Is this feasible I have no experience doing any wood working?

any links or advice would be appreciated

On 8/10/2021 at 4:06 PM, s1_ said:

This is the same rack I use. If your looking to avoid a project it is a great choice. I did have a few plywood panels cut when I picked up the rack. I wasn’t sure about the wire rack dispersing the weight/wanted to avoid pressure points on the tanks. I have the 75 on the middle shelf with 2 40s underneath.  I’d avoid putting all your weight on the top-accidents happen, best not to have 900lbs of water, glass and rocks above your head.

9A2D1DF0-BBA2-4619-A69D-917698730C4B.jpeg.fc541b51e3202fc9673b4662e7a094d1.jpeg
This was from the collecting phase before planting.

• Like 2

I had planned on doing something with wood as i can build it to my exact dimensions just had a terrible time looking for a diy for a tank that size that isnt just a single stand. I want the 75 to be more eye level as im 6'3 and my smaller tanks to be lower but there is no such builds out there that ive found

The standard 2x4 stand design is fully scalable to support the 75 gal tank on the top and smaller tanks on the bottom.  You just need to decide how you want all of the tanks oriented.  There are more minimal designs but this basic design is my favorite since you can build this with the basic tools and skills.  The design can also be wrapped and have trim added if desired.

20201129-20201129_215556.jpg.636e1925839111a79891d3a6cbe9bb66.jpg

20210810_221723.jpg.5aae5818cb2dabc79b9b41764683f477.jpg

20210810_221704.jpg.b9d202fc355cf77f8a6b1be652d01406.jpg

I recommend looking up: "HOW TO: Build an Aquarium Stand/Canopy" on YouTube to see some of the build guides.  There are also some good threads on this Forum.

• Like 3

I shall humbly recommend my stand build thread! 😇 It’s built to hold a 75 on top—you’d just need to make it taller and ignore the cabinet portion to fit more tanks on the bottom.

Is it feasible with no woodworking experience? I think that depends on whether you’re patient, meticulous, like learning things, and have someone to help you who does have experience. And someone who has tools. Like, lots of tools.

I went into my stand build with a small amount of woodworking experience from helping on larger projects like a chicken coop. And my husband has made some serious furniture with a master woodworker, besides having an engineering degree. Sooo… 😄 yeah that was helpful. We had a pretty decent collection of power tools already but we ended up buying a nicer circular saw, an orbital sander, and an impact driver along with all the necessary small hardware and accessories. Having the right tools makes things 1000% easier. It was a biiiiig project but it’s really nice to have something that’s exactly the way you want it. And it’s awesome to be able to point to something and say, I built that!

78DCBF45-1A68-43F1-ADA9-11F1242BC249.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 8/10/2021 at 11:53 PM, Hobbit said:

I shall humbly recommend my stand build thread! 😇 It’s built to hold a 75 on top—you’d just need to make it taller and ignore the cabinet portion to fit more tanks on the bottom.

Is it feasible with no woodworking experience? I think that depends on whether you’re patient, meticulous, like learning things, and have someone to help you who does have experience. And someone who has tools. Like, lots of tools.

I went into my stand build with a small amount of woodworking experience from helping on larger projects like a chicken coop. And my husband has made some serious furniture with a master woodworker, besides having an engineering degree. Sooo… 😄 yeah that was helpful. We had a pretty decent collection of power tools already but we ended up buying a nicer circular saw, an orbital sander, and an impact driver along with all the necessary small hardware and accessories. Having the right tools makes things 1000% easier. It was a biiiiig project but it’s really nice to have something that’s exactly the way you want it. And it’s awesome to be able to point to something and say, I built that!

78DCBF45-1A68-43F1-ADA9-11F1242BC249.jpeg

I have nothing but time, I don't plan on moving till march but figured the longer the plan and accumulation of stuff would make the process easier. your stand is amazing and I think ill definitely be will be looking at this one a lot!

• Thanks 1