What’s wrong with this platy.

Cohen

Hello today I noticed that my players are acting very weird, we’re at the surface and ground acting very skittish. But my bottom feeders are fine including corydoras and Otos! could this be an ammonia problem. I just added route tabs not too long ago!

4D1BFB9B-9135-4501-A759-B33A6AB234DE.jpeg

EFF990E9-B081-4C4A-A6A4-DB0451830E1A.jpeg

Do you have any means to test the water yourself? Even a multi-test strip is a great investment, and pretty much necessary at times for fishkeeping.

For example, A neutral PH (7.0) may not stay neutral very long, and can turn acidic rapidly if there is 0 KH (buffer). A PH crash can certainly stress fish, at the least, and cause problems.

Specific values are really helpful in diagnosing problems.

• Like 1

Hi, Cohen, if you can pick up some cheap test strips or an API test kit, it'll really save you some trips and heartache in the future. A lot of health issues with fish can come down to stress and water parameters, which make fish susceptible to disease. It's hard to judge what else is going on without water values.

Platy and other livebearers also tend to love harder water, so if your KH and GH are on the low side, they might be feeling a bit unhappy. But I wouldn't advise doing anything about that until we know your base values.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 7:36 AM, laritheloud said:

Hi, Cohen, if you can pick up some cheap test strips or an API test kit, it'll really save you some trips and heartache in the future. A lot of health issues with fish can come down to stress and water parameters, which make fish susceptible to disease. It's hard to judge what else is going on without water values.

Platy and other livebearers also tend to love harder water, so if your KH and GH are on the low side, they might be feeling a bit unhappy. But I wouldn't advise doing anything about that until we know your base values.

Yes, I have used test strips and kits. I had ran out at the moment and had ordered a new test kit. But I do not have at the moment now I am waiting. I had my water test at a pet store and they said the water was not the  issue and to give it a couple days. Now I have four platys that are acting completely fine along 2 otos and 2 corydoras in a 20 gallon tank. 2 platys out of 8 have died, and now 2 are acting weird and hanging out at the top of the surface. But the others are fine. What should I do now!  If it’s a KH or GH problem how can I fix that? Thank you

7A164D07-435B-44F5-AF2A-6020F454C86B.jpeg

6B6F6EBB-CFF9-4121-A553-B4D0D716857F.jpeg

On 8/10/2021 at 11:20 AM, Colu said:

What I would do is a 50% water change  add some crushed coral in a media bag to your filter that will help raise raise your KH something else could be going like a bacterial gill disease with symptoms your describing I would do a course of maracyn  to cover all bases 

Ok will do