Cycling with Prime and Stability

todd2000

So I started a 14G cube tank last Monday. Have been keeping tanks for years, so I know the normal cycling process, but I figured I'd try this one using Seachem Stability. I used Prime for the water conditioner, but only for the initial fill and for top off water, I haven't been dosing it to the tank or anything. I started off with the Stability last Monday and added 8 neons, have been following the instructions and doing the daily does of Stability.

Long story short, I haven't seen a spike in anything yet. Have tested with API test strips and API liquid test kits, and have gotten 0 Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate every time. I also added an ammonia alert to keep a constant eye on the level. I know the prime "detoxifies" all three, but I should still be able to see them on the tests right? Is the Prime messing with the tests? Should I ditch the Prime and switch to just a declorinator?  

Thanks

On 8/8/2021 at 8:08 PM, GameCzar said:

When I use prime, the tests still show the same levels of ammonia and Nitrites/Nitrates.    I think it just makes it non-toxic.

Right, that's what I figured but I would think in a week I would have seen at least some spike in something, but everything has been 0...

On 8/8/2021 at 7:10 PM, todd2000 said:

Right, that's what I figured but I would think in a week I would have seen at least some spike in something, but everything has been 0...

I honestly don't know how Stability works since I've never used it, but I believe there has to be some ammonia to start the process somewhere.  My tap water has 1ppm and I've started using Fritzyme for the bacteria kick-start. 

On 8/8/2021 at 8:12 PM, GameCzar said:

I honestly don't know how Stability works since I've never used it, but I believe there has to be some ammonia to start the process somewhere.  My tap water has 1ppm and I've started using Fritzyme for the bacteria kick-start. 

Well the 8 neons would provide the ammonia....

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 8:13 PM, Brymac1 said:

Looks like the stability worked then

Yeah, I guess, never used a bacteria additive before so wasn't sure if I should see a spike in anything. I'm guessing the Nitrates just haven't built up enough to show up on the tests yet?