Help with DIY Tank Stand

Tratanu

Hello, I built my own stand and I have leveling problem. 2 of the 4 corners on my rimmed 75 are not flat. It is not a large gap, but I am still concerned with it breaking a seal. Am I able to use something like hardie board (cement board) and shims under the tank to level or does it need to be plywood? I just have leftover board to use but I am unable to get ply wood right now.

Why not sand the perimeter of the flat? At most that looks like a 1/16th. Level is not "true".. leveling can be a dead centered bubble but can easily be off an 1/8th over 4+ ft.  That's why I love dead on measurements.

Edited by jeNks

On 8/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, Daniel said:

@Tratanu From your photos that looks like a very small gap, not the sort of gap that would be a cause for concern.

As I under stand it. Just the corners supports the pressure. SO if there is a gap in the center of the stand would that cause any issues? Sorry to ask so many questions on this I just want to make sure everything is right, before adding anything.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, Daniel said:

Is there any water in the aquarium in the photos?

it was about half full. There was no substrate or anything in there. I just put the tank on to do a leak test. But then I saw the gaps and was concerned. 

I can't tell from the pictures if the black stand is metal or wood? I'm going to assume that's a screw hole I seeon the first picture.  

I had the same issue with the wooden stand I built.  The corners were not touching till like 3 inches from the corner. (My gap was only the size of a piece of paper or two). Blindly remembering Cory saying that the tanks are designed to touch at the corners,  I sanded the middle of my boards down so that the corners of the tank were physically touching. I shined a light on the opposite side of the tank and sanded until I could not see light at the corners but then could consistently see light in the middle. For further confirmation,  I also tried to slide a piece of paper in under the tank. I wanted the paper to stop within a half inch of the edge of the tank.  Also, when filling the tank, some areas in the middle that had gaps start to tighten up.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 9:43 AM, BF McUmber said:

I can't tell from the pictures if the black stand is metal or wood? I'm going to assume that's a screw hole I seeon the first picture.  

I had the same issue with the wooden stand I built.  The corners were not touching till like 3 inches from the corner. (My gap was only the size of a piece of paper or two). Blindly remembering Cory saying that the tanks are designed to touch at the corners,  I sanded the middle of my boards down so that the corners of the tank were physically touching. I shined a light on the opposite side of the tank and sanded until I could not see light at the corners but then could consistently see light in the middle. For further confirmation,  I also tried to slide a piece of paper in under the tank. I wanted the paper to stop within a half inch of the edge of the tank.  Also, when filling the tank, some areas in the middle that had gaps start to tighten up.

It is made of wood. I think I will sand down the top until the to ends touch better, 

• Like 1