Hello! Greetings from the Bay Area

Hi all,

I’ve just restarted my 20g tank with 2 platies, 1 siamese algae eater (SAE), and 1 kulie loach. I also have 1 anubus as a plant. My tank had black beard algae (BBA) on some petrified wood and the roots and leaves of my anubus. The SAE took care of the BBA on the wood and started on the anubus. The anubus was not anchored to anything, so I decided to glue it to a rock. Afterwards, the SAE stopped eating the BBA on the anubus. Did I do something wrong?

The anubus and rock is flat on the gravel. Should the rock be elevated so the root will dangle downward? Will this make the BBA more appetizing?

Also interested in adding plants and fish (kulie loach, hillstream loach, neon tetras). Should I add fish first or plants?

Thanks,

Dih

2748B29F-1B47-45B7-9A7C-F7860BDEADE2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, dihyihchen said:

The anubus and rock is flat on the gravel. Should the rock be elevated so the root will dangle downward? 

Also interested in adding plants and fish... Should I add fish first or plants?

I have 2 types of anubias that are planted in gravel, but with the rhizome and top centimeter of roots above the gravel. One is okay. One is thriving. So I think putting your anubias' roots on the gravel shouldn't be a problem.

I'd say to add plants before fish. That should help keep the water parameters healthy when the fish are added.

Although I have no experience with any of the fish species you listed, I seem to remember that many of your current and future species need buddies. I think it would be worth researching that before adding any new species, in case it's best for your current fish to add more of their own species (which may mean that new species won't fit well).