Quarantine water got on main fish supplies, what do?

jaydawnsin

Okay, so I've had my quarantine tank running empty on my desk for approx. 6 months, just keeping it running because I was too lazy to take it apart. I'm planning on going to the fish store and getting fish today so I had my roommate start a water change on the tank while I got ready to go get lunch, but he's so used to grabbing one of the regular buckets we use for the healthy tanks that that's what he grabbed. My question is, is 6 months long enough that it's safe to just not worry about replacing the equipment we used or should I clean or replace all of it to be safe?

Update: I went back in my previous activity for the forum and it's been 4 months since the fish left the tank, not 6. It was 6 months since the last time I put fish in there tho.

Edited by JaydenDSin

Most pathogens and parasites can't survive with out intermediate host for longer than two weeks as long as you haven't had a mycobacteria infection in the past couple of months  you should be fine to use that equipment if your still unsure you could sterilise it with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution

Edited by Colu
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2021 at 2:03 PM, Brymac1 said:

4 months with no fish is plenty of time for all dangerous parasites, bacteria, or fungi to die off. So I wouldn’t bother replacing it. Just make sure that it is cycled before you add new fish to it.

I threw two giant clumps of algae that had formed in the 29 gallon in there along with random plant matter about a week ago when I added a lot more plants to the 29 gallon so it should be enough bacteria for 3-5 guppies, which is the plan, and there's algae in the quarantine tank so that should help. I'll grab a moss ball while I'm at the store to help in case the waste is too much. If I notice that amonia is building up, I'll add a filter from the other tanks to make up for it. Thank you!

Edited by JaydenDSin
Clarification
  • Like 2