The love and the misery of hornwort. I keep it in all but one tank (for whatever reason one tank it just gives up the ghost and drops needles then actually dies). I love the job it does but detest its natural method of relocation.  I have terrible water and for the 20 years I’ve owned this house brown diatoms are my faithful but unsightly companion. I’ve grown to accept it. Hornwort grows fast and the stem get thin and spindly until pieces float away. Every single day my mornings routine includes collecting all the floating pieces and sticking a plant weight on them and dropping them back it’s a pain and looks so haphazard that it annoys even a very poor scraper like me. I bought 10 large bunches of anacharis elodea to replace it and add to my current anacharis(it does the same floaty thing just not as often). It always goes through melt then takes off. I’m in the melt phase but and fighting the urge to yank the hornwort out too soon. Kinda worried the added nutrients from the melt need the hornwort to control until the elodea settles in. I did see new growth already during water change today😁 (loved the nosey guppy baby in the way so kept that pic)

another good note I found a little bladder snail family in the pleco tank behind the coop sponge. Also two egg clutches on the base. For whatever reason in all my tanks that’s the preferred laying spot. Another A+ to the coop sponge. 🥳

63F8E248-E2F0-48BE-90F0-C2F3ABEE2BEA.jpeg

22B454B6-AE59-4C39-8F7F-5EF0F5DCF7DA.jpeg

283F0FEA-1F5B-462D-A7A9-AB93557617EE.jpeg

06371EFD-6720-4129-904A-FAE1B21F10CC.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 4

On 8/8/2021 at 2:33 PM, Hobbit said:

I have elodea and hornwort in my fry grow out tank. I’m worried the hornwort won’t survive the salt that gets added when I feed baby brine shrimp, but we’ll see!

I feed bbs 2-3x a day. I use a hobby sieve or hand held cheap from Amazon to strain and rinse with bottle water( not fancy just easy to keep on the work table) to avoid salt killing my plants. I tried not rinsing before and poof every stinking needle dropped 🙁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2021 at 2:41 PM, Hobbit said:

Ooof. Yeah, I should probably start rinsing given the amount I feed… just have to find a system that’s easy enough I’ll actually do it. Maybe this is why Cory can never get hornwort to grow!

There is a lot hornwort growing in the brackish intercostal waters here in North Carolina. Also Vallisneria, Bacopa, Myriophyllum, Anacharis, etc. I was a little surprised when I first saw it, but there it was.

image.png.58d3cd1365f4dde2e4ba7e7d04b186ec.png

image.png.935e91d095856afaf621bd44d2bb7206.png

• Like 5

On 8/8/2021 at 2:58 PM, Daniel said:

And just for @Hobbit since you are in Maryland, apparently its grows luxuriantly in Chesapeake Bay and even in the Potomac as far up as Alexandria. 🙂

Almost all the hornwort I have seen in the hobby is Ceratophyllum demersum.

I’m in south central PA I may have to take a day trip!

• Like 2

Guppysnail, earlier today I was wondering how I can keep my floating plants (guppy grass, elodea) in one corner of the tank and wishing there was some kind of clip that hung on the rim... reading above it seems you use suction cups somehow--brilliant! How/what do you loop around the plants and attach to the suction cup to hold the plants?

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, PineSong said:

Guppysnail, earlier today I was wondering how I can keep my floating plants (guppy grass, elodea) in one corner of the tank and wishing there was some kind of clip that hung on the rim... reading above it seems you use suction cups somehow--brilliant! How/what do you loop around the plants and attach to the suction cup to hold the plants?

Embarrassingly enough I use my husbands fishing line 😳 🤣 and airline suction cups

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thanks! I have airline suction cups and thought they'd be perfect. I don't have fishing line on hand but I can easily get some! I bought some platy girls so I assume they are pregnant and want to have a good clump of fry-hiding plants in case they deliver in the QT tank unannounced.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/8/2021 at 11:49 AM, Daniel said:

There is a lot hornwort growing in the brackish intercostal waters here in North Carolina. Also Vallisneria, Bacopa, Myriophyllum, Anacharis, etc. I was a little surprised when I first saw it, but there it was.

image.png.58d3cd1365f4dde2e4ba7e7d04b186ec.png

image.png.935e91d095856afaf621bd44d2bb7206.png

Hmmm.. maybe a planted tank would be possible with a Figure 8 Puffer 🤔

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 6:03 PM, PineSong said:

Thanks! I have airline suction cups and thought they'd be perfect. I don't have fishing line on hand but I can easily get some! I bought some platy girls so I assume they are pregnant and want to have a good clump of fry-hiding plants in case they deliver in the QT tank unannounced.

I also use a suction cup betta feeding ring for frogbit guppy fry love it. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, Odd Duck said:

Amazon has this.  I’m using these with an extra zip tie to anchor my floating rings because I got fed up with trying to glue plastic bits with hinges to silicone tubing.

image.png.f4ff9cf1c9371ef68435a89660a88cff.png

Can the original zip tie be cut and replaced? I make a lot of mistakes 🤣 these look awesome 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

Can the original zip tie be cut and replaced? I make a lot of mistakes 🤣 these look awesome 

Yes.  They are pretty standard 6” zip ties, not heavy duty or anything.  My hubby has some the same size in black.

• Love 1

So I got these yesterday and used them today. They are just like the coop erasers( chemical free melamine)  I love coop ones so much but they are too thick for behind things. These are thin sheets I can use with my tongs to get behind intakes heaters etc.  I busted out laughing when I was doing behind the one intake because I was so into it and thought wow @Patrick_Gwould love these to get into his tight space he posted about. Thought I would share so other interested folks could see. I thought I could use them as one time throw away uses because things that grow in wet sponges freak me out! You would think all the weirdness and crawly things I adore growing in my tank it wouldn’t bother me it does. Amazingly though because these are so thin they dry really quick so I can reuse them 🥳

good house keeping thing my mother taught me to help with the wet dog smell of kitchen bath sponges is to rinse in very cold water when your done to impede the mildew growth stench Probably common sense but mom had to teach me that in my 30’s 🤣

FD628B58-F7E0-4CA3-AC83-096C0EBF3804.jpeg

6928DB98-372F-4A03-AF9B-08E87F7FE6CA.jpeg

04CD2064-8353-483F-A9B2-43207F53A07A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 8/9/2021 at 11:49 AM, GameCzar said:

I gotta get some of these for our 3 gallon.   Too many plants to move the block around in there effectively.

Amazon has a few types in bulk because as I found out they are reusable it makes them incredibly cheap. Still not bad priced priced if you do single use just be real sure they say chemical free or 100% melamine as some have cleaners smell additives etc. I feel like a traitor to the coop but these are such an awesome addition to theirs because of sizing and quick drying. 

I’m sorry you lost your Dragon Boop and that you need to downsize the fish. I’m grateful to know you were able to share to all of us. Please don’t be discouraged. You should like a water sign, like you were meant for the hobby. I do hope you can keep going with some nano tanks with it being less work on your body! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

Amazon has a few types in bulk because as I found out they are reusable it makes them incredibly cheap. Still not bad priced priced if you do single use just be real sure they say chemical free or 100% melamine as some have cleaners smell additives etc. I feel like a traitor to the coop but these are such an awesome addition to theirs because of sizing and quick drying. 

I'd be glad to buy them from co-op if they get them!  I try to patronize when possible. 

• Love 2